URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14207
Printed Date: 25 April 2024 at 2:13am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bridges TV CEO Arrested
Posted By: abuayisha
Subject: Bridges TV CEO Arrested
Date Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:08am

Prominent Orchard Park man charged with beheading his wife

http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/578644.html - http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/578644.html

Replies:
Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 1:24am
That is very scary! Unhappy I really hope its not true, and that he didnt kill her. Though I know its silly to say, but he doesnt 'look' like a cold-hearted murderer.

inna lillahi wa inna illaihi raji'oon...

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 6:55am

Possibility of 'honor killing' mulled in Orchard Park slaying

Estranged husbandcharged with murder

By Fred O. Williams
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

The gruesome death of Orchard Park resident Aasiya Zubair Hassan� who was found decapitated�and the arrest of her estranged husband are drawing widespread attention, as speculation roils about the role that the couple�s religion may have played.

Muzzammil Hassan, 44, was arrested Thursday and charged with second- degree murder after telling police his wife was dead at the office of their television station in the Village of Orchard Park.

While Muslim leaders have urged against applying cultural stereotypes to the crime, advocates for women linked the killing to attitudes in Muslim societies.

�This was apparently a terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men,� said Marcia Pappas, New York State president of the National Organization for Women.

She decried the scant national media attention paid to the story, which broke the same day as the commuter plane crash that killed 50 people in Clarence.

While domestic violence affects all cultures, Muslim women find it harder to break the silence about it because of a stigma, she said.

�Too many Muslim men are using their religious beliefs to justify violence against women,� she said.

After episodes of domestic violence, Aasiya Hassan, 37, filed for divorce Feb. 6 and obtained an order of protection barring her husband from their Orchard Park home, her lawyer, Corey Hogan, said.

She and her husband both worked at Bridges TV, a satellite- distributed news and opinion channel. They launched the station in 2004 in an effort to counter images of Muslim violence and extremism.

Nadia Shahram, a matrimonial lawyer in Williamsville, said that some Muslim men consider divorce a dishonor on their family.

A teacher of family law and Islam at the University at Buffalo Law School, Shahram said that �fanatical� Muslims believe �honor killing� is justified for bringing dishonor on a family.

While it has not been determined whether Aasiya Hassan�s death had anything to do with fanatical beliefs, the community should address the attitudes that make divorce particularly difficult for many Muslim families, Shahram said.

�I have not had one [case] where the husband wanted to settle outside of the court system,� she said.

In some interpretations, the Quran allows husbands to punish �disobedient� women, Shahram said, adding that this is a minority view.

An open community forum on the issue is scheduled from 3 to 6 p. m. Sunday at the UB Law School�s Moot Court on the North Campus in Amherst, she said. Imam Fajri Ansari, the leader of a Buffalo mosque, and other experts on Islam are scheduled to attend, she said.

Orchard Park police Monday continued to investigate last week�s death and remained quiet about its details.

Police believe that Aasiya Hassan died where she was found, in a hallway at the TV station�s offices on Thorn Avenue in the village, Police Chief Andrew Benz said.

The office was released as a crime scene Saturday, he said, but the effort to determine the murder weapon continued.

�We�re looking to make sure we find the weapon,� Benz said, adding that police don�t have a confession.

Muzzammil Hassan is scheduled to appear at a felony hearing in Orchard Park on Wednesday to determine bail.

A Family Court hearing today is expected to address the future of the couple�s two children, a girl age 4 and a boy age 6. Their grandparents, having traveled from Texas and Pakistan, are expected to attend, said John Tregilio, a lawyer for the children.

Muzzammil Hassan also has two older children, ages 17 and 18, who lived with the family on Big Tree Road in Orchard Park. The couple had been married eight years.

Naeem Randhawa, a documentary filmmaker in Dallas who worked with the Hassans, said it was apparent that their television venture was in trouble, but not their marriage.

He characterized Muzzammil Hassan as aggressive in a business sense, with fundraising efforts in the Muslim community that were necessary to keep the station going.

On a personal level, �he was not extremely talkative � he would sit back and listen,� Randhawa said. �He came across not as a passionate guy, [but] more reserved.�

Friends said they remember Aasiya Hassan as a vivacious and intelligent woman. For a time the couple owned a convenience store in Orchard Park where she would work, sometimes with her son.

Muzzammil Hassan graduated magna cum laude with an MBA from the Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester in 1996, according to biographical information on the TV station�s Web site.

In a 2005 interview with The Buffalo News, he said that the idea for the TV station was sparked two years earlier when the couple heard derogatory remarks about American Muslims on a radio talk show.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 12:13pm

But really Chrysalis so many killers don't look the part.

"terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men"

I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?

Isn't there a verse in the Quran about not carryng the sins of your father?  Why would the "sins" of the sister, wife, etc. be counted against you?

Is it because of the subordinate position of women in shariah law?  Men hardly recieve a penalty for honor killing in shariah ruled countries.

And here don't even bother I have added the links for you:  Example of Old Testament honor killings:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/honor_killing_in_bible.htm - http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/honor_killing_in_bible.htm

I can see where abortion could be considered an honor killing when some time ago being an un-wed pregnant teen was seen as a dishonor to the family.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: Talib_Asadullah
Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

"terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men"

I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?

Its not that Islam needs to overcome "honor killings". Its some Muslims who need to "overcome" this.

You need to recognize the difference.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:10pm

The current financial meltdown has triggered quite a few murder suicides all over !

Just consider this just another statistics instead of passing judgments against any faith!
In the scheme of things when there was so much bad blood between these divorce litigants it was risky and absolutely dumb on the woman's part to go to the man's station after having him kicked out of their house! ....

She played the American game not figuring the consequences!
 Once she had him kicked out under court order she should have stayed miles away from him at all cost...

The man will pay by spending rest of his life in the slammer so his American MBA  training didn't teach him much that killing was a bad business plan....

There is no information available on his real background making it an Islamic issue and then honor killing is a cheap shot!

Murders happen every day across America and no one says those are Judeo Christian honor killings....This has nothing to with religion... If you would like to know  these days the American Muslims have joined the American divorce statistic scene on equal footing.......If the thesis of honor killings has any basis then there should lot more killings be happening....but they are not ....so let us not get bent out of shape on this one till all details are available... 
Fry this fella; honor killing or whatever....
Finally what honor is there sitting in the big house and chowing on the hram food?

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Talib_Asadullah Talib_Asadullah wrote:

Its not that Islam needs to overcome "honor killings". Its some Muslims who need to "overcome" this.

True, many killers dont look the part, and you cannot judge by how 'innocent' one looks... I was just musing... Smile

Also, like Bro Talib correctly pointed out - Honor Killings are something people need to overcome. Might I also remind you that the countries where Honor Killings are culturally rooted, are countries like Jordon, which are not shariah ruled like you suggest.

And Honor Killings are not restricted to Muslims only - since they are cultural, people of other faiths that share similar cultures, some Hindus for e.g. are also guilty of honor killings. Refer to bride-burning (stove burning) etc.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: Talib_Asadullah
Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Originally posted by Talib_Asadullah Talib_Asadullah wrote:

True, many killers dont look the part, and you cannot judge by how 'innocent' one looks... I was just musing... Smile

Also, like Bro Talib correctly pointed out - Honor Killings are something people need to overcome. Might I also remind you that the countries where Honor Killings are culturally rooted, are countries like Jordon, which are not shariah ruled like you suggest.

And Honor Killings are not restricted to Muslims only - since they are cultural, people of other faiths that share similar cultures, some Hindus for e.g. are also guilty of honor killings. Refer to bride-burning (stove burning) etc.

Alhamduillah. Thanks for those good points sister.

-------------
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah

Posted By: Shasta'sAunt
Date Posted: 19 February 2009 at 12:48am
"I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?"

Do I need to repost ALL of the information I posted before about honor killings and the people who commit them? There are Christians committing honor killings also, especially in predominantly Latin countries where men's honor is highly prized.  Do we really need to do the whole religion thing again??? 

It is irresponsible that as soon as something like this occurs it becomes an Islamic issue instead of a domestic violence issue, which it is. 

Stats for domestic homicide in the USA. It goes without saying that Islam is not the predominant religion in the U.S.

Domestic Homicides

• Of females killed with a firearm, almost two-thirds were killed by their intimate partners. The number of females shot and killed by their husband or intimate partner was more than three times higher than the total number murdered by male strangers using all weapons combined in single victim/single offender incidents in 2002.
    The Violence Pol'y Ctr., When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2002 Homicide Data: Females Murdered by Males in Single Victim/Single Offender Incidents, at 7 (2004), available at http://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2004.pdf - http://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2004.pdf

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, between 1998 and 2002:

• Of the almost 3.5 million violent crimes committed against family members, 49% of these were crimes against spouses.
  • 84% of spouse abuse victims were females, and 86% of victims of dating partner abuse at were female.
  • Males were 83% of spouse murderers and 75% of dating partner murderers
  • 50% of offenders in state prison for spousal abuse had killed their victims. Wives were more likely than husbands to be killed by their spouses: wives were about half of all spouses in the population in 2002, but 81% of all persons killed by their spouse.

Matthew R. Durose et al., U.S. Dep't of Just., NCJ 207846, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Family Violence Statistics: Including Statistics on Strangers and Acquaintances, at 31-32 (2005), available at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fvs.pdf - http

-------------
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 19 February 2009 at 2:46pm

RESPONDING TO THE KILLING OF AASIYA HASSAN: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE LEADERS OF AMERICAN MUSLIM COMMUNITIES
Imam Mohamed Hagmagid Ali, ISNA, 2/16/09
By Imam Mohamed Hagmagid Ali
Executive Director, ADAMS Center
Vice-President, The Islamic Society of North America

The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) is saddened and shocked by the news of the loss of one of our respected sisters, Aasiya Hassan whose life was taken violently. To God we belong and to Him we return (Qur�an 2:156). We pray that she find peace in God�s infinite Mercy, and our prayers and sympathies are with sister Aasiya�s family. Our prayers are also with the Muslim community of Buffalo who have been devastated by the loss of their beloved sister and the shocking nature of this incident.

This is a wake up call to all of us, that violence against women is real and can not be ignored. It must be addressed collectively by every member of our community. Several times each day in America, a woman is abused or assaulted. Domestic violence is a behavior that knows no boundaries of religion, race, ethnicity, or social status. Domestic violence occurs in every community. The Muslim community is not exempt from this issue. We, the Muslim community, need to take a strong stand against domestic violence. Unfortunately, some of us ignore such problems in our community, wanting to think that it does not occur among Muslims or we downgrade its seriousness.

I call upon my fellow imams and community leaders to never second-guess a woman who comes to us indicating that she feels her life to be in danger. We should provide support and help to protect the victims of domestic violence by providing for them a safe place and inform them of their rights as well as refer them to social service providers in our areas.

Marriage is a relationship that should be based on love, mutual respect and kindness. No one who experiences a marriage that is built on these principles would pretend that their life is in danger. We must respond to all complaints or reports of abuse as genuine and we must take appropriate and immediate action to ensure the victim�s safety, as well as the safety of any children that may be involved.

Women who seek divorce from their spouses because of physical abuse should get full support from the community and should not be viewed as someone who has brought shame to herself or her family. The shame is on the person who committed the act of violence or abuse. Our community needs to take a strong stand against abusive spouses. We should not make it easy for people who are known to abuse to remarry if they have already victimized someone. We should support people who work against domestic violence in our community, whether they are educators, social service providers, community leaders, or other professionals. . .

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 6:18pm
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=27668 - http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=27668

http://www.stophonourkillings.com/?name=News&file=article&sid=3244 - http://www.stophonourkillings.com/?name=News&file=article&sid=3244

http://www.gendercide.org/case_honour.html - http://www.gendercide.org/case_honour.html

"In Jordan, "honour" killings are sanctioned by law. According to Article 340 of the criminal code, "A husband or a close blood relative who kills a woman caught in a situation highly suspicious of adultery will be totally exempt from sentence." Article 98, meanwhile, guarantees a lighter sentence for male killers of female relatives who have committed an "act which is illicit in the eyes of the perpetrator.""

Jordan is basically a Muslim country and it's laws reflect Muslim practice.  The punishemnt is always more lenient in "honor killings" then regular murder.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 9:30pm

A Muslim-American television executive who allegedly beheaded his wife days after she filed for divorce remains jailed without bail following a court appearance in western New York.

Muzzammil Hassan, 44, did not speak during the brief appearance Wednesday before Judge Philip Marshall in Orchard Park Village Court, where an attorney waived Hassan's right to a felony hearing.

Officials at the Erie County District Attorney's Office told FOXNews.com that Hassan will now be held for possible grand jury action within 45 days.

Hassan � who was shackled at his wrists and ankles during his first court appearance � wore a tan suit, white shirt and a tie. He allegedly beheaded Aasiya Hassan, 37, on Thursday and surrendered to police. Hassan was later charged with the second-degree murder of his wife, whose body was found at the office of Bridges TV, their television station in Orchard Park, near Buffalo.

"He came in and said his wife was dead," said Orchard Park Police Chief Andrew Benz, who declined to elaborate on the particulars of his conversation with the suspect.

Reacting to speculation that the crime may have been an "honor killing," defense attorney James Harrington said "culture, religion doesn't play a role."

"It's not an issue in this case," said Harrington, who described the burly businessman as almost in shock.

"He has an almost blunted affect. He's having difficulty coping with this," the lawyer said.

Following multiple episodes of domestic violence, Aasiya Hassan filed for divorce on Feb. 6 and obtained an order of protection that barred her husband from their home, according to attorney Elizabeth DiPirro, whose law firm, Hogan Willig, represented Aasiya Hassan in the divorce proceeding.

The Islamic Society of North America issued a statement of condolence to Buffalo's Muslim community and urged leaders to take a strong stand against domestic violence.

"Women who seek divorce from their spouses because of physical abuse should get full support from the community and should not be viewed as someone who has brought shame to herself or her family," the statement by Imam Mohamed Hagmagid Ali said.

Muzzammil and Aasiya Hassan founded Bridges TV in November 2004 to counter anti-Islam stereotypes, touting the network as the "first-ever full-time home for American Muslims," according to a 2004 press release.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 9:33pm
http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=100939340&m=100939321 - http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=100939340&m=100939321

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0220muslimfeb20,0,1472832.story - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0220muslimfeb20,0,1472832.story

Date Posted: 21 February 2009 at 4:12pm
abuayisha - The first link didn't work.

So why the in the Muslim nation of Jordon is this a law, when in the horrible kuffir nation of USA a murder is a murder whether honor killing or not?

In Jordan, "honour" killings are sanctioned by law. According to Article 340 of the criminal code, "A husband or a close blood relative who kills a woman caught in a situation highly suspicious of adultery will be totally exempt from sentence." Article 98, meanwhile, guarantees a lighter sentence for male killers of female relatives who have committed an "act which is illicit in the eyes of the perpetrator.""

Did you read the law is giving criminals an out to kill!!
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=27668 - http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=27668

Jordan 'honour killings' cover for other crimes

Men exploit lenient laws to murder women for inheritance, settling family feuds or to hide other crimes.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 21 February 2009 at 7:22pm
Believer, first there are no Muslim governments. Second, this was in the article in the link you provided:

Qaddumi - along with other experts � noted that Islam prohibits such crimes and that the problem is not "purely Jordanian".

"To stop the killing of women article 340 should be scrapped. I think Islamic sharia law should be applied," she said.

Under sharia law, "punishment for adultery or fornication can't be enforced unless there is a confession by the culprit or a testimony of four reliable, sane and adult eyewitnesses who each saw the process of sexual intercourse."

Why don't you quit trying to make this into an Islamic issue. Islam clearly does not allow such actions.
The victim in this case had filed for divorce and was trying to leave the perpetrator. What is your reasoning when a Christian commits such a crime? It is a fact that most spousal murders in the U.S. occur when the wife or female partner tries to leave the relationship. According to your criteria all of these would be considered "honor killings".

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 21 February 2009 at 7:48pm
 What is the difference between any of these murders and the murder of Aasiya Hassan? Besides the fact that their religion isn't part of the headline?

Louisiana Man Sentenced To Die For Church Murders, Wife's Slaying
Reported by: Copyright 2008 by Newsroom Solutions

Thursday, Sep 11, 2008 @02:01pm CST

(Baton Rouge) -- In a case that drew national attention in May of 2006, a Baton Rouge man who defended himself at trial was formally sentenced Thursday morning to die for the murders of four in-laws at a church in the capital city and the slaying of his estranged wife that same day. The punishment handed 27-year-old Anthony Bell by State District Judge Todd Hernandez was that recommended by an East Baton Rouge Parish jury.The jurors convicted Bell in April of five-counts of first-degree murder and one-count of attempted murder.

Man Murders His Wife in Southeast Shelby County

Release Date: July 28, 2008

A man was charged with First Degree Murder today for shooting his wife to death last night at their southeast Shelby County home.  After the murder, Sheriff�s detectives say Travis Williams, 48, walked next door and told his neighbors what happened.

Williams surrendered to Deputies as they arrived at the couple�s home at 4315 Whispering Bend Cove North just after 10 o�clock.

Deputies found Williams� wife, Alberta, 50, dead inside the house.  She had been shot in the neck as she lay in bed.

Sheriff's detectives say the couple was having marital problems.  Investigators believe the relationship issues led to the murder.

No other people were inside the house. 

Man Murders Wife, Blames Daughter

By Michael F. Haverluck
CBNNews.com
January 23, 2007

CBNNews.com -- PIERRE, S.D. -- The man who first acccused his daughter of stabbing his wife to death now stands convicted of the crime. Brad Reay was found guilty Tuesday of first degree murder in the South Dakota homicide case that's captured national attention. 

The lethal stabbing was motivated by the 47-year-old husband's rage after his his wife demanded a divorce last winter, according to the prosecuting team.

It was presented to the jury that Reay murdered his wife to avenge her adulterous affair with a co-worker.

In order to cover his tracks, Reay attempted to pin the murder on his wife's lover. When this did not work, he blamed his young daughter of the stabbing, as stated by the defense.

Source: The Associated Press

Nigerian Man Murders Wife in America

On Thursday, July 24, 2008, a 50-year old Nigerian man Michael Collins Iheme shot and killed his 28-year old estranged wife, Anthonia Iheme, in her work parking lot. Witnesses say Michael fired several shots into her car then ran into another car and drove away. Shortly after the crime, he called 911 and told the operator that http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/Iheme+Homicide+Complaint.pdf?location_refer=West%20Metro - �Yes, I have killed the woman that messed my life up. A woman that had destroyed me. I am at Shalom West, �my name is Michael.� The police arrested him about 100 meters from the shooting where he stated, �I called the police�.I shot her�I shot her.�

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18274 - Man murders wife over Facebook row

p2pnet news view | http://www.p2pnet.net/categories/crime - Crime:- A UK man has been jailed for life after murdering his 26-year-old wife, Sarah, over a Facebook row.

Edward Richardson, 41, �stabbed his estranged wife to death in a �frenzied attack� after discovering she had changed her Facebook status, says the http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1126872/Father-stabbed-estranged-wife-death-changed-Facebook-status-single.html - Mail Online .

He was stoned on cocaine and alcohol, �when he smashed his way into her parents� home and used a carving knife� to kill her, says the story.

Richardson, �admits killing her, but denies a charge of murder,� says http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Breaking-News-Richardson-guilty-wife-s-murder/article-636709-detail/article.html - The Sentinel , going on:

�On the third day of his trial, the jury heard the killing happened the day after Sarah changed her personal profile on the internet website Facebook from �married� to �single�.�

A pathologist found more than 50 separate injuries, �including 13 stab wounds,� says the story.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 21 February 2009 at 7:53pm
"Jordan is basically a Muslim country and it's laws reflect Muslim practice." 

This actually made me laugh. Do you write these things on purpose or do you really have so little knowledge of the world?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 22 February 2009 at 9:24pm
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/Decapitation_has_leaders_speaking_out_20090222 - Decapitation has leaders speaking out WIVB
http://www.record-eagle.com/columns/local_story_052094712.html?keyword=topstory - Chip Roush: Beheading wasn't Islamic crime Traverse City Record Eagle

Date Posted: 22 February 2009 at 9:38pm

Miami, FL (AHN) - The head of the New York chapter of the National Organization for Women is slamming the national press for what she calls a �deafening silence� regarding a case where a prominent Muslim businessman near Buffalo allegedly killed his wife and sawed her head off.

Muzzamil Hassan owned a television station aimed at fighting Muslim stereotypes in United States. He was arrested on Feb. 12 for allegedly murdering his wife, 37-year-old Aasiya Hassan. Aasiya reportedly was seeking a divorce from her husband and also obtained a protection order against him on Feb. 6.

NOW New York President Marcia Pappas slammed the national media for giving what she considers minimal coverage to the story, and Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita for referring to the alleged crime as �the worst form of domestic violence possible.�

�What is �domestic� about this violence,� Pappas asked in a NOW press release. �It is high time we stop regarding assaults and murders as a lover�s quarrel gone bad.�

Pappas said the story has not garnered bigger media play because many media outlets don�t want to offend Muslims.

�Are we now so respectful of the Muslims� religion that we soft-peddle atrocities committed in its name,� sahe asked in the press release.

�Had this awful murder been perpetrated by an African American, a Latino, a Jew, or a Catholic, the story would be flooding the airwaves. What is this deafening silence?�

A Google search found that the story was reported by major U.S. and international outlets, including the New York Times, Fox News, CNN and the Guardian, among many others.  

NOW New York President Slams Media Over Coverage Of Muslim Man�s Beheading Of His Wife By David Goodhue - AHN Reporter, 02/21/09, http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014168184 - http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014168184

I have often found myself in disagreement with NOW.  I do believe that the reason these crimes are downplayed by media outlets have more to do with the Boys� Club and the way many members of the Boys� Club treat the women in their lives and how they see and feel about women.

Muzzamil Hassan regardless of ethnicity and religion is a member of that club.  It is not so far fetched.  For decades, women went into court against domestic violence and found themselves further abused by the court system itself. 

In fact women from my mother�s generation and my grandmother�s generation can repeat too many incidences of women whose deaths were directly or indirectly related to domestic violence.

How do I know this?  Because I am blessed.  My mother empowered me by informing me of my rights as a woman and my rights as a child of God.  She used to tell her daughters, �You are not here on this earth to be any man�s punching bag.�pumabydesign001.wordpress.com

Posted By: aka2x2
Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 11:31am

I agree this is a domestic violence case and has nothing to do with Islamic honor killing or terrorism.

Earlier this year a man dressed himself up as Santa Clause and murdered his whole family. Nobody ran around yelling Christian honor killing or Christian terrorism�

Fact of the matter is divorce has become a zero sum game in this country. There has to be losers and winners. The adversarial legal system may work for other situations but it has failed miserably when people file for divorce. There is a whole divorce industry in this country which is dedicated to destroying marriages and families. The lawyers keep pushing and twisting all members of the family until something or someone breaks�.

By the time a contested divorce is granted in America there are many, many casualties left behind.

These murder cases are the more extreme examples of an inhumane divorce process which is the bread and butter of the divorce industry.

-------------
Respectfully
aka2x2

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 12:11pm
  The man Mo Hassan was barely a Muslim to get himself wound up in "Honor Killing" crap.

Seeing his resume and if I was a woman would not have thought of saying yes for this marriage! It was a disaster bound to happen and then she served the divorce and and ejection from home order....and then visit his office...wow that was it...

Previous Marriages and Children of the Killer....

Prior to his marriage to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aasiya_Zubair - Aasiya Zubair , Muzzammil Hassan was married twice before -- once to a non-Muslim woman with which he produced two children, and once for a year to another Muslim woman. According to the family of the latter, both of his earlier wives filed for divorce on the same grounds of severe domestic violence and abuses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzammil_Hassan#cite_note-21 -

In addition to the two children from his first marriage (ages 17 and 18), he has two children (a girl age 4 and a boy age 6) from his third marriage (to Aasiya). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzammil_Hassan#cite_note-22 -

Now the question for the 'Honor Killing Theory" pushersWink

Why didn't he kill the other two women who got divorces?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzammil_Hassan#cite_note-22 -

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 12:59pm
None of you read the article.

Muslims themselves call it an honor killing to get a shortened sentence, reduced punishment!

Shasta - Four eye witnesses?  I say they should be punished too for just standing there and letting the killing occur!!

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:01pm

Men exploit lenient laws to murder women for inheritance, settling family feuds or to hide other crimes.

AMMAN - When 18-year-old Maha decided that she wanted to quit her family's prostitution ring, her brother killed her and alleged it was to "cleanse" the family's honour.

Maha is one of hundreds of women in Jordan and other conservative societies who rights groups say are killed every year by their male relatives in so-called honour crimes for "sullying" the reputation of their families.

The United Nations has reported such crimes in Brazil, Britain, Ecuador, India, Israel, Italy, Sweden and Uganda as well as in nations such as Morocco, Pakistan and Turkey.

Accurate figures on such killings are hard to come by because they often go unreported.

In Jordan, between 15 and 20 women are murdered annually in the name of "honour" and at least eight such killings have been reported so far this year, according to Jordanian authorities. Last year 17 such murders were recorded.

But the label "honour killings" can be misleading in this tiny kingdom's male-dominated society of about six million people.

Judges, lawyers, activists and experts agree that in most cases men exploit lenient laws to murder women for inheritance, settling family feuds or to hide other crimes.

"Maha did not want to continue to prostitute herself, so her brother killed her," Israa Tawalbeh, said Jordan's first woman coroner.

According to Tawalbeh, Maha's brother was a drug addict with a criminal record and ran the family's prostitution ring in an east Amman neighbourhood.

"After killing his sister, he turned himself in and claimed that he murdered her to cleanse the family's honour. Of course forensic examination proved that she worked in prostitution, and the brother was sentenced to two years in prison," she said.

"Nobody cared that the girl wanted to quit the prostitution business. Her brother got away because it is a male-dominated society and it is unfair."

Judge Jehad Oteibi, spokesman for the Judiciary Council, said court records show that many "honour killings" are committed for reasons related to inheritance.

"Forensic tests prove that a lot of victims were virgins, which show that there are other motives behind the killings, including family problems. It's a very sensitive issue in our society," Oteibi said.

In early August, a 26-year-old man shot dead his unmarried 23-year-old sister near Amman because she had disappeared from home for four months with a man. A medical examination, however, showed that the woman was a virgin when she died.

According to Human Rights Watch, 95 percent of women killed in 1997 in Jordan in alleged honour killings were later proved to be innocent.

"Many women are forced to give up their rights or face death. Their families might kill them and allege it is related to honour, and not money," Oteibi said.

"But we can't know the truth because the women are dead."

"Ignorance and poverty is a deadly mix," the judge stressed.

University of Jordan sociologist Seri Nasser blamed the legal system.

"Most of the judges are males who use their powers to reduce the sentence. They forget that women are victims of their male relatives' greed," Nasser said.

Perpetrators get reduced sentences as parliament has refused to reform the penal code to ensure harsher sentences, despite campaigns by local and international human rights activists.

According to article 340 of the penal code, a defendant who "surprises his wife or any close female relative" in an act of adultery or fornication may invoke a defence of "crime of honour" should they murder the woman.

For women, "a wife who surprises her husband in the crime of adultery or in an unlawful bed in the marital home" may invoke a similar defence -- but there are no reports or any official figures on any "honour" killings of men in Jordan.

Article 98 of the penal code stipulates that "an extenuating justification can be invoked by anyone who commits a crime in a fit of rage as a result of an unrightful and dangerous act carried out by the victim" -- which may significantly reduce penalties for murder.

Although only few defendants were able to meet the requirements of the law, most have avoided trial for murder, rights activists say. The maximum penalty for first-degree murder is death and for second-degree murder 15 years in jail.

But even those convicted rarely spend more than two years in prison.

"In the past 50 years, only a handful of (accused) were able to meet the requirements of the law," lawyer Rehab Qaddumi of rights group Amnesty International said, agreeing with Oteibi that many of these killings are not related to "honour" in any way.

Qaddumi - along with other experts � noted that Islam prohibits such crimes and that the problem is not "purely Jordanian".

"To stop the killing of women article 340 should be scrapped. I think Islamic sharia law should be applied," she said.

Under sharia law, "punishment for adultery or fornication can't be enforced unless there is a confession by the culprit or a testimony of four reliable, sane and adult eyewitnesses who each saw the process of sexual intercourse."

Such punishments are meant to be only applied by a sate when its citizens are aware of them, and throughout history they rarely took place as it is unlikely that a man or woman would voluntarily confess of adultery when knowing its punishment.

The chances of been seen by four trustworthy witnesses while a man or a woman are committing the actual act of sexual intercourse (non penetration does not count) is even less likely.

In fact, in Islam, acts of �honour killings� amount to murder and are usually punishable by death.

Asma Khader, secretary general of the Jordanian National Commission for Women, said "the level of leniency in enforcing the law has dropped."

"The government is trying to increase public awareness to tackle this problem. The number of 'honour killings' dropped from 20 to 25 crimes a year about 10 years ago to around 15 now," she added.

Khader, a lawyer and former minister, warned that such killings "disempower women and discourage them from playing a role in public life."

"I find this more dangerous than the killings," she said.

Jordan's King Abdullah II, his wife Queen Rania and other royals have led efforts to fight "honour killings" and reform the law.

"This practice of 'honour killing' is a form of murder without trial, which is contrary to Islam," the queen has said.

"We should have no tolerance for the acceptance of 'honour killings' ... We have to change some cultural and societal perceptions of the place and value of women in society."

But such calls often are not heeded as the perpetrators of such killings are not even religious to take notice of what Islam has to say on the matter.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:16pm
http://www.hejleh.com/countries/jordan.html -
http://www.hejleh.com/countries/jordan.html

About 95% of the people are Sunni Muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan

Jordan's legal system is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam - Islamic law and French codes.

The religious courts include Sharia (Islamic law) courts and the tribunals of other religious communities. Religious courts deal only with matters involving personal law such as marriage, divorce and inheritance.

The population consists of 92 percent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslims - Muslims

Of the 80 members of the Lower Chamber, 71 must be Muslim

The only political party that plays a role in the legislature is the Islamic Action Front (IAF).

shasta- you need to get busy rewritting history.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:24pm
Believer, you do notice that ALL your examples are wholly and solely based on "Jordan" ?

Not once did I see you quote references from "Islam" to support your viewpoint ! If Islam really does support Honor Killings . . . it would not be afraid to state so . . . kindly find that source.

Maybe we should we start using USA and other 'Christian' countries as an example of all the bad 'Christian' behaviours, and say Christianity is to blame. . . . what say you?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

The man Mo Hassan was barely a Muslim to get himself wound up in "Honor Killing" crap.

Point well taken, however, I'd argue those involved indeed have little to barely any understanding of Islam, and function on cultural norms/ignorant traditions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99616128 - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99616128

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 2:31pm
beeliver
I concur with Chrysalis 100+% and why the discussion has jumped from Buffalo New York to Jordan? Who is pleading for Honor Killing?
I don't consider Jordan a legitimate Islamic country that was created by Brits for the benefits for turncoats...
So you are challenging SA about history....You must be a real hypocrite and proud of witch burningWink
And finally you sure seem mentally challenged to comprehend the gist of the article you posted which is.... it is not Islamic code they are following to begin with rather purely local and cultural crap stemming from ignorance ...that is being discussed to be abolished ...

BTW What city you live in? I might find you a tutor for free... you Islamophobe knucklehead!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Point well taken, however, I'd argue those involved indeed have little to barely any understanding of Islam, and function on cultural norms/ignorant traditions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99616128 - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99616128

The man should never have left his native land.......

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 4:30pm
"The man should never have left his native land......."

Well, we all know what's said about hindsight being 20/20.....He was described in court as "....almost in shock.  He has an almost blunted affect.  He's having difficulty coping with this," his lawyer said.

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 7:17pm

"The man should never have left his native land......."

Well, we all know what's said about hindsight being 20/20.....He was described in court as "....almost in shock.  He has an almost blunted affect.  He's having difficulty coping with this," his lawyer said.

This happened last July... Did they fry him yet? Do you know?

-------------

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 5:50am
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

"Jordan is basically a Muslim country and it's laws reflect Muslim practice." 

This actually made me laugh. Do you write these things on purpose or do you really have so little knowledge of the world?

Salaams,
I agree with you sister, he really does know little of the world.
1. Monarchy is not a form of government that is sanctioned in Islam. The Monarchy in Jordan was set up in Transjordan by the occupying colonizers to appease the family of the Sharif after they gave Arabia to the Sauds and the wahabi movement. That is why you now have "kings" and an amir of nearly everything!
Interesting...women cannot drive cars in Saudi Arabia, but the wife of the Prophet (pbuh) could ride a camel in battle or when she needed to. Tell me, what is the difference other than time. It is culture that dictates many practices, not al-islam.

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 6:58am

None of you read the article.

Muslims themselves call it an honor killing to get a shortened sentence, reduced punishment!

Shasta - Four eye witnesses?  I say they should be punished too for just standing there and letting the killing occur!!

The four eyewitnesses are to prove infidelity. Do you even read the stuff that YOU post?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:07am

http://www.hejleh.com/countries/jordan.html -
http://www.hejleh.com/countries/jordan.html

About 95% of the people are Sunni Muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan

Jordan's legal system is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam - Islamic law and French codes.

The religious courts include Sharia (Islamic law) courts and the tribunals of other religious communities. Religious courts deal only with matters involving personal law such as marriage, divorce and inheritance.

The population consists of 92 percent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslims - Muslims

Of the 80 members of the Lower Chamber, 71 must be Muslim

The only political party that plays a role in the legislature is the Islamic Action Front (IAF).

shasta- you need to get busy rewritting history.

Believer, I have never met anyone with so many opinions regarding a subject of which they know so little. If you wish to continue posting on Islamic sites and be taken with any seriousness at all it would behoove you to actually know what you are disagreeing with. Understanding Islam, the colonization of the Middle East, the monarchy systems there and how they originally came into being, and what government Islam allows should be required reading for you.

From what you yourself posted, please see the bold red above, you can see that Islamic Law, what little there is, does not deal with homicides in Jordan. That would be the French Law codes....   I have to ask again, do you even read what YOU post?

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:22am
I found this a very interesting look at honor killings in America:

Killing of Sexual Partners as Mere Manslaughter:

When can killing a sexual partner or a former sexual partner qualify as mere "voluntary manslaughter" rather than murder under American law? Some of the comments to my http://volokh.com/posts/1216853474.shtml - honor killing post led me to want to elaborate further on this.

1. Most states � though not the several states that have adopted the Model Penal Code "extreme mental or emotional disturbance" formulation � specify that this sort of killing is voluntary manslaughter only if it's in the "heat of passion." But while some states limit this to situations where the killer has just immediately caught the victim (either the killer's sexual partner or the person with whom the partner is cheating) in the act, other states take (or recently have taken) a different view.

No need to witness adulterous act: Thus, for instance, Commonwealth v. Schnopps, 417 N.E.2d 1213 (Mass. 1981), holds that a spouse's killing of a spouse can be voluntary manslaughter when it immediately follows the victim's oral admission of adultery. Anderson v. State, 507 So. 2d 580 (Ala. Ct. Crim. App. 1987), overruled by Knight v. State, 907 So. 2d 470 (Ala. Ct. Crim. App. 2005), held that a spouse's killing of a spouse can be voluntary manslaughter when the killer "visualized [the wife] standing nude at the foot of [another man]'s bed" � based on the wife's refusing to accompany him home after a family visit to the other man's mobile home � and then went home, got his shotgun, drove to a store to buy shotgun shells, and later went back to the other man's home and shot the wife and the other man.

Time delay between confession of adultery and killing: Likewise, People v. Berry, 556 P. 2d 777 (Cal. 1975), concluded that a delay of 20 hours between the confession of adultery (and a desire to leave the marriage) and the killing didn't preclude a finding of manslaughter, at least when the victim had engaged in "a long course of provocatory conduct."

2. As best I can tell, most states don't limit the defense to adultery, but also allow it when the killer and the victim aren't married. Goforth v. State, 523 S.E.2d (Ga. 1999). This may be sensible, but I mention it to rebut the suggestion that the breaking of a marriage vow is somehow uniquely serious and thus specially justifies the doctrine.

3. Most troubling of all, there are quite a few cases in which a voluntary manslaughter theory was found legally warranted simply because a sexual partner had left the relationship, without any evidence of cheating. See, e.g., State v. Little, 462 A.2d 117 (N.H. 1983); People v. Guevara, 521 N.Y.S.2d 292 (App. Div. 1987). Fortunately, many states would not allow the theory in such cases, but some do.

The law in America (and I suspect many other Western countries) that if a spouse -- who will usually be the husband -- kills the other spouse shortly after discovering the spouse's adultery, the killing may be classified as a manslaughter rather than a murder. Manslaughter is generally treated as a far less severe crime, with far lower penalties.

It's true that the killing has to be done in the "heat of passion," and the ostensible theory is that the crime is in some measure more understandable and more forgivable because of its emotional basis, not that the crime is justified as a matter of honor. Still, my sense is that much of people's sympathy with the killers has to do with the fact that they were dishonored, and not just distressed or angered for reasons unrelated to their sense of their own honor. And in any event, regardless of the rationale, the law does make killing of an errant spouse into something less than murder -- not the same as the killing of a daughter for her dishonoring the family name, but not very far from that, either.

What's more, until the 1970s, this very same state of Georgia sometimes allowed spouses to kill their spouses when necessary to stop or prevent an act of adultery with no criminal consequences at all -- such killings were considered entirely justifiable, and not just mitigated from murder to manslaughter. See Scroggs v. State, 93 S.E.2d 583 (Ga. App. 1956). Even in the 1975 case that rejected this rule, one judge praised the rule and would have retained it. From 1915 to 1925, Texas courts took the same view, though apparently limited to husbands killing their wives. See Cook v. State, 180 S.W. 254 (Tex. Crim. App. 1915).

And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states http://www.volokh.com/posts/1184343964.shtml - expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers . (Some of the states extended this privilege to wives as well, and some didn't have a "heat of passion" requirement.) One of the cases elaborating on such a statute, State v. Greenlee, 269 P. 331 (N.M. 1928), specifically argued that the law "recognizes the ungovernable passion which possesses a man when immediately confronted with his wife's dishonor." Plus it is generally believed that juries have often acquitted the killers in such situations -- including fathers who killed their daughters' lovers, precisely on "honor" grounds -- even independently of the law. To quote another Georgia case (from 1911, quoting an earlier case from 1860), "What American jury has ever convicted a man for slaying the seducer of his wife or daughter?" That has likely changed in considerable measure since 1911, but my guess is that it remained largely true at least until recent decades.

And that's just the legal system's toleration (partial or complete) of such killings. As a matter of practice, many murders and even more assaults in America each year stem from adultery, perceived adultery, or even just a desire for a divorce. (Volokh)

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:29am
It is interesting to note that Botswana, a Christian country, leads in the number of honor killings although they call them "crimes of passion".  The French influence, a rose by any other name....

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 8:24am
Very Interesting Shasta!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:52am

I found And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states http://www.volokh.com/posts/1184343964.shtml - expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers . (

Equal treatment under the law and women's rights must have quickly done away with that clause, otherwise the bodies of dead men would have washed up all over the country.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 1:17pm
Yes, very good information regarding violence against women.. whatever you call it, its worldwide. 

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 3:44pm

Believer, first there are no Muslim governments. Second, this was in the article in the link you provided:

Why don't you quit trying to make this into an Islamic issue. Islam clearly does not allow such actions.

The victim in this case had filed for divorce and was trying to leave the perpetrator. What is your reasoning when a Christian commits such a crime? It is a fact that most spousal murders in the U.S. occur when the wife or female partner tries to leave the relationship. According to your criteria all of these would be considered "honor killings".

As Salamu Alaikum Shasta'sAunt.Jazakallah Kheiran for your reply.There have been many of these murders by people of other faiths.Shukran Jazelan for bringing that up.

Date Posted: 25 February 2009 at 2:42am

I found And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states http://www.volokh.com/posts/1184343964.shtml - expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers . (

Equal treatment under the law and women's rights must have quickly done away with that clause, otherwise the bodies of dead men would have washed up all over the country.

Smile

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:07am
Jordan was brought up because of the article titled:

Men exploit lenient laws to murder for inheritence,settling family feuds or to hiude other crimes

The point is not that "crimes of passion" or "honor killings" do or don't happen in un-islamic countries but that the punishment is too lenient in mostly islamic countries. 

A crime of passion in the states is punished as another crime- unless of course you are O.J.

Attacking me because I believe men should be punished equally for killing women for any reason!!

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:11am

What about the laws for 2009?

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:46pm
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/georgetown/2009/02/beheading_and_religious_profil.html - Beheading and Religious Profiling Washington Post

Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 7:40pm
"Attacking me because I believe men should be punished equally for killing women for any reason!!"

Is that what you wrote? Because I could have sworn you wrote:

"I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?

Isn't there a verse in the Quran about not carryng the sins of your father?  Why would the "sins" of the sister, wife, etc. be counted against you?

Is it because of the subordinate position of women in shariah law?  Men hardly recieve a penalty for honor killing in shariah ruled countries."

and:

"So why the in the Muslim nation of Jordon is this a law, when in the horrible kuffir nation of USA a murder is a murder whether honor killing or not?"

and:

"Muslims themselves call it an honor killing to get a shortened sentence, reduced punishment!"

and:

"The point is not that "crimes of passion" or "honor killings" do or don't happen in un-islamic countries but that the punishment is too lenient in mostly islamic countries." 

I must have missed the part where you were vocalising equal punishment under the law.

Actually in the U.S. most of these killings are tried as manslaughter cases, not first degree murder cases. That was MY whole point. Leniency abounds.....

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 27 February 2009 at 7:22am
Yes I did ask why isn't it under control in Islamic countries?  I found the answer to my question, man has made the penalty unequal and not as severe.

Are those voluntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter?

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 27 February 2009 at 7:28am

Thank you for that link.

"Did Islam make him do it? There are elements in the Islamic tradition that seem to encourage a belief in the inferiority of women. Conservative Islam gives less weight to a woman's legal testimony, gives her a smaller share of any inheritance, and limits her ability to escape an unwanted marriage. How much this strand of Islamic religious thought influenced Muzzammil Hassan's violent behavior is something that the courts and psychological experts have to decide."

I don't believe that Islam causes it but believe sharia may give men too easy of a way out. 

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 27 February 2009 at 8:16am
Maybe Believer just doesnt know that bieng tried under Murder and Manslaughter are two different things . . . in which Manslaughter has the lesser punishment, and is a lesser crime. . . compared to murder

-------------

Date Posted: 28 February 2009 at 3:01pm
"Did Islam make him do it?"

Wacko

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 01 March 2009 at 8:44am
Refer to the thread Appollos (women in islam) made, supposedly to show how women in Islam are treated badly (somthing u believe also) . . . answers ur questions.

And look whose talking!!! someone whose religion and bible both suppress women . . . it doesnt even measure up to what you call "conservative islam" whatver that is!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 March 2009 at 1:31pm
LOL!!  I guess you didn't read my comment:

"I don't believe that Islam causes it but believe sharia may give men too easy of a way out."

My question is why doesn't Islam stop it?

I would say Taliban is conservative Islam.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 02 March 2009 at 5:13am
Taliban is an 'extremist' version of Muslims . . . it is not conservative Islam.

Shariah Law, as explained by Qur'an and Sunnah is part and parcel of Islam.

Why doesnt Islam stop what? Honor Killings? Under Islamic rule, the perpetrator of an Honor Killing will be tried for murder. . . the public is not allowed to take things in thier own hands.

Also, anybody who charges/blames another Muslim for an act of decency without any proof - under shariah - is punishable by law. I dont think any other govt/political system has a severe punishment for slandering and destroying an honest person's reputation.

EVEN if the suspect's guilt is proven beyond any reasonable doubt - a member of the public cannot kill/harm them. If they do so, they can be punished accordingly. Only the govt can do something about it.

So you see, Islam does stop 'it'.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 March 2009 at 12:21pm
Yes Chrysalis I agree,  but there are some on this forum that believe the Taliban is good and they see nothing wrong with them!?!

In which islamic country is shariah working so well?

Are the laws equal for non-muslims? 

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 02 March 2009 at 1:09pm

Yes Chrysalis I agree,  but there are some on this forum that believe the Taliban is good and they see nothing wrong with them!?!

Are the laws equal for non-muslims? 

Why doesn't Christianity stop rape, murder, domestic and child abuse, etc... etc.... etc....

For perhaps the one millionth time, there are no Islamic countries in existence right now and there are certainly no Islamic governments. Not even close. And once again, if an Islamic country with a truly Islamic government existed then according to the Quran non-Muslims would be judged according to their religion, not Islam, in such matters.

BTW: the Taliban are conservation Muslims the way Jim Jones was a conservative Christian.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:43am

Yes Chrysalis I agree, �but there are some on this forum that believe the Taliban is good and they see nothing wrong with them!?!

Are the laws equal�for non-muslims?�

For perhaps the one millionth time, there are no Islamic countries in existence right now and there are certainly no Islamic governments.
As Salamu Alaikum Shata'sAunt,Is this true,what about Bangladesh,Pakistan,Indonesia and Damascus? Im not 100% on these Countries just asking   

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:53am
As Salamu Alaikum Brother and Sisters,Believer the fact of the matter is that the form of government in its existance today,is against any form of Islamic government.

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:53am
As Salamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters,Believer the fact of the matter is that the form of government in its existance today,is against any form of Islamic government.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 12:18pm
Why doesn't Christianity stop rape, murder, domestic and child abuse, etc... etc.... etc...

Shasta's Aunt: did you not hear that it did end it, in all the predominantly Christian countries there is no rape or murder or domestic abuse. its all gone!!

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Why doesn't Christianity stop rape, murder, domestic and child abuse, etc... etc.... etc...

Shasta's Aunt: did you not hear that it did end it, in all the predominantly Christian countries there is no rape or murder or domestic abuse. its all gone!!

I missed the news the last few days, had the flu.....   Geez, get sick for a few days and miss out on the beginning of the era of peace. I HATE when that happens!!!!

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:26pm

They question should be which Islamic country has sharia law?

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:32pm
"As Salamu Alaikum Shata'sAunt,Is this true,what about Bangladesh,Pakistan,Indonesia and Damascus? Im not 100% on these Countries just asking"   

Walaikum Assalaam,

Unfortunately no. Bangladesh is under military rule. Pakistan has a president, but they have no Islamic form of government. Damascus, which is in Syria, has a president, the son of the last president, who was chosen by referendum. Indonesia is a democracy since 2006 and may turn out to be the closest thing to an Islamic type government in the world today. We will have to wait and see.

-------------
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:51pm

Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

I missed the news the last few days, had the flu.....   Geez, get sick for a few days and miss out on the beginning of the era of peace. I HATE when that happens!!!!

LOL

-------------

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:08am
Good article detailing some of the Muslim American responses to the beheading of sister Aasiya, Allah yrahmha.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2009/03/beheading_a_wake-up_call_for_m.html

For those who have trouble with links provided here goes (without hyperlinks)

Wajahat Ali
Beheading a Wake-Up Call for Muslim Americans
The brutal murder of our sister, Aasiya Zubair Hassan, finally forced a community of believers to unearth our heads from the sand and confront head-on the insidious epidemic of domestic violence. It is sad and sobering that it took a shocking, heinous act of violence to finally jolt a slumbering population into acknowledging this festering disease that existed in our very own neighborhoods, but was woefully ignored for far too long due to shame, negligence and indifference.

However, the murder of Aasiya marks a turning point where ordinary Muslims, without prestigious titles and acronyms, from diverse backgrounds representing a global community, were galvanized to act for positive change.

Within days of hearing about the murder, a few Muslim American professionals created a Facebook group entitled "In Memory of Aasiya Zubair: A Pledge to End Domestic Violence," which currently has over 3,000 members from around the world. These activists mobilized a nationwide effort in just under three days called "American Muslims Call for Swift Action Against Domestic Violence" requesting imams across America to devote their Friday sermon to passionately and righteously denounce domestic abuse.

Remarkably, the "virtual" call translated to grassroots, nationwide community action, as Muslim Americans of every stripe - first-generation immigrants and their second-generation children, conservative Muslims and their progressive counterparts, the young and the old, heeded the call.

Imam Mohamed Hagmagid Ali, vice president of the Islamic Society of North America - one of the largest and most influential Muslim organizations in the U.S. - publicly stated, "Our community needs to take a strong stand against abusive spouses...This is a wake up call to all of us, that violence against women is real and can not be ignored."

Influential scholar Shaikh Hamza Yusuf devoted his sermon to passionately denounce domestic violence as having zero rationalization or legitimatizing basis in the Qur'an and the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad. As the Shaikh reminded his congregation, the Prophet not only reprimanded those who struck their spouses, but he never once raised his hand against any of his wives.

Indeed, the Prophet Muhammad, who is the criterion model for Muslim spiritual, ethical and behavioral etiquette and referred to by his wife, Aisha, as "the walking Qur'an," exhorted: The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his wife."

However, no sane person denies the existence of certain cultural practices observed among some Muslims that facilitate misogyny and patriarchy. It is true that these cultural constructs lead to warped notions of male power, shame and honor, but what this ghastly murder represents is the most barbaric example of years of domestic violence and abuse against a spouse culminating in murder because she finally had the courage to leave, file for divorce and issue a restraining order.

Yet, many people - some with the best of intentions and others with cynical political agendas -- have spuriously called this horrific murder an "honor killing" simply because Mr. Hassan comes from a Pakistani background and has identified himself as a Muslim. Aasiya's case is similarly and tragically all too familiar to many families and women suffering from domestic abuse and violence in America who finally refuse to live in fear, and cast off the yoke of their abuser's tyranny. Sadly, some of these women, like Aasiya Hassan, pay for their courage with their lives.

By recklessly labeling this murder an "honor killing," it makes this horrific episode seem to be an exotic and only Eastern, South Asian, and Muslim phenomenon that afflicts only a few races and cultures, but no one else. The sickness of domestic violence is a global and national epidemic that needs to be addressed and confronted by all communities, regardless of faith, race, or ethnicity -- thus the unified, nationwide intention of Friday's prayer event.

A lot must still be done to combat domestic violence and abuse that exists in our communities, but this is an auspicious and symbolic first step commenced with a noble intention to honor the memory of Aasiya Zubair Hassan and help others like her who have suffered and continue to suffer silently.

May this be a clarion call for change.

Wajahat Ali is a playwright, humorist, essayist and attorney at law

Posted By: icforumadmin
Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 3:44pm

Salam/Peace,

Becasue not relevan here som post have been moved to:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14349 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14349

admin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net