Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12938
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 11:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Olympics 08 - Beijing
Posted By: Angel
Subject: Olympics 08 - Beijing
Date Posted: 07 August 2008 at 8:26am
Yay!!! Time for some good times. The games (shouldn't it be just sport WinkTongue ) is starting tomorrow night for me, a little bit into the even thou. there's a 2 hour time difference b/w the two countries, mine and theirs. 

Anybody going to watch?
Any favourite games/sports?

I will be watching the opening ceremony, I always watch them even thou I don't watch much of the sports. The same goes for the closing ceremony.

It'a pretty much round the clock coverage from about 9:30am till 2am according to the tv guide. there's 2 channels covering it.

let's have some fun...Smile  Clown  Cool Star

oh by the way, no nothing about political about china and tibet and human rights etc - create another thread if you desire to get into it, BUT this thread is about the games & for the games only: celebrations/wins, crying over your team/sport loss, the weather, the facilities, the medal telly etc Smile 

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Replies:
Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:01am
Great topic Angel!

Kinda busy but in the meantime I'll be primarily watching the most dominant force on the planet, the "Redeem Team" err "Dream Team" USA men's basketball.

Posted By: romeo2009
Date Posted: 10 August 2008 at 7:11am
The starting of Olympics 08-Beijing is awesome. I like Olympic games very much. Every player keeps their full efforts in their game.
================================================
romeo2009

http://en.beijing2008.cn/ - http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Date Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:19pm
Well US. Men's basketball destroyed China. I am confident we (U.S) will have the most medals out of all in the games.

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Well US. Men's basketball destroyed China. I am confident we (U.S) will have the most medals out of all in the games.

oh I don't know about that, the aussies already have a few medals under their belts, even today there was 2/3 medals - gold, in swimming.

I believe both US and Aust. do really well in swimming they seem have always. 

Even Norway won their first swimming medal. 

Don't know what the telly is, haven't checked.

I know China won their first medal in weight lifting.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 6:22am
I watched the opening ceremony think it was great, the lighting of the torch was excellent, its up there with the arrow, sydneys, and athens were they used water - is that what happened??.

Loved the drums at the beginning.

Liked the uniforms for Australia using the different shades of blue to represent sky and water shades. It can get a bit boring with the yellow and green colours (even thou gold and green are the offical colours for aust.) 

-------------

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 7:43am

Did anyone see the swimming last night??

I am not a "pro-US" person or anything, but that relay race was incredible.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 7:46am
not sure which race you are talking abut Hayfa, there's been alot in the last day. Haven't been watching all so that really completes my "I don't know" LOL

-------------

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:17am
I saw the replay of the relay- amazing!!  

Go USA!  Hayfa who are you cheering for?

I enjoy all the sports, no real favorites.

I liked it back in the day when pro atheletes did not play in the olympic games. 

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:28am
I tend to go for people I like... less about a particular country.. now I was pulling for US relay team as the French were talking "smack"

I tend to like the human interest angle.. like Jason Lezak getting redemtion so to speak for not winning in the past. If someone is a "jerk" I tend not to like him.

I am not too into the basketball players.. maybe cause I see them all the time. I exercise and do karate so I admire their physical abilities.. Just watching the male gymnists on the still rings is incredible. Diving, any of it..

Angel if you can watch the reply you must. It was the 4x100 relay swim... the comeback is incredible. 

I pull for obscure people too..

-------------

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:02pm
yeha the 17 year old kid from china won the gol. Pretty fun stuff to watch

Date Posted: 11 August 2008 at 6:20pm
U.S.=11 medals (Leader)

China= 9 medals (2nd)

Date Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:52am
Australia = 9 in total. 3 gold, 1 silver, 5 bronze.

At yahoo the telly is going by gold medals and china is on top: http://au.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/medal-tally - http://au.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/medal-tally

I had on the games on last night while i was on here, it was the womens' basketball, Australia and Brazil competing. Don't know who thou.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 August 2008 at 8:07am

I watched a bit of the horse jumping (sorry can't spell equ......at the moment) I think it was germany that won, i missed it. Horse jumping isn't that bad to watch actually. Actually just checking, yes its germany that won, australia second and britain third. (Equestrian Wink )

Women's soccor, Japan vs Norway, japan won by 5 norway 1.

At the moment basketball is on and it between, Australia and Argentina, Argentina is winning Cry

that's it from me, going to bed I'm Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:42pm
Well what counts is total medals not just gold medal...

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 7:41am
Michael Phelps is beyond incredible..  he alone will keep the gold meada lcount for the US high..

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 7:47am
true.

Aust. slipped down to 6th place. Germany is in 5th place now, well, going by the gold medal telly otherwise we still in 5th place with 12 all in total Wink.

I actually continued watching the equestrian after logging off last night, it was all good, germany was gold again. One of their guys was doing everything perfect until the last jump and lost the individual medal, the same went for an aussie, all was perfect too until that last jump.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 August 2008 at 11:35pm
Well, looks like phelps made history

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 17 August 2008 at 6:42am
Hayfa - yes the underdog, and no jerks!!  LOL!!.

This might be a political statement , not meant to be - I worry about the children that from a young age are separated from their familes to train, when they don't win.  Who do they fall back on?  Who shows them unconditional love of a parent?

Because of this I really wanted the Chinese team to win the team gold in gymnastics.

The Chinese can be very proud of the great Olympics they have put on.

Phelps in amazing!!

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: Shasta'sAunt
Date Posted: 17 August 2008 at 7:26am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Hayfa - yes the underdog, and no jerks!!  LOL!!.

This might be a political statement , not meant to be - I worry about the children that from a young age are separated from their familes to train, when they don't win.  Who do they fall back on?  Who shows them unconditional love of a parent?

Because of this I really wanted the Chinese team to win the team gold in gymnastics.

The Chinese can be very proud of the great Olympics they have put on.

Phelps in amazing!!

The Chinese are persecuting the Tibetans while staging these great Olympics.

-------------
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Well, looks like phelps made history

Yes, he sure did. He beat aussie Grant Hackett.
I missed that race thou.

It's hockey time at the moment on tv, between, australia and china, china is winning, 2:1
On the other channel its womens soccor between japan and usa, usa is winning 2:1.  Both not over yet.
Watched the match between china adn japan, was a good match.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 7:27am
USA has just scored their 3 goal in the soccor. 19 minutes left of the game, will japan rise above 1 goal??

p.s: usa has 4 goals now, looks like japan has lost unless some miracle happens in 2 minutes.

Hockey it was a draw 2:2 but china goes thru to the next leve, didn't get that.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 9:21am

And there is Usain Bolt.. people just born universally different and combined with many things..

Hacket. Actually he lost but not to Phelps. Hackett swims the 15oo meters, Phelps does not. Not that it matters

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 9:31am
well, Japan got another goal so they did rise above 1 goal ;-) but usa clearly won, 4:2

Aparently in hockey the aussie team had plently of chances in the first half that they didn't take so this contributed the team in failing to go the next round.

Watched the women's triathlon earlier today, in parts I got ready for work. Australia won, YAY!!!

Australia was third on the telly but dropped to 4th with 11 gold, Britian sneaked into third somewhere there with 12 gold.

off to bed, another 2:30am nighter, lol!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Hacket. Actually he lost but not to Phelps. Hackett swims the 15oo meters, Phelps does not. Not that it matters

yes that is right.
oops, now that's bad reporting, must go to bed, lol!

-------------

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 18 August 2008 at 3:32pm

Salam/Peace,

Poor Canada, the only "big" country that doesn't get even one medal. Maybe they are too busy play with polar bears so forgot to practice... he..he..he..

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 19 August 2008 at 10:08am
So the other day I decided to venture out of my cave, and tune into the Olympics. My half-heartedness quickly dissipated once the Pakistani hockey team started to do some good on the field! (coupl'o days ago) (Zeeshan and Saqlain bieng amongst my favourites) So pumped up was I, that I decided to watch the gymnasts as well, so currently the only knowledge I have  of the Olympics is that of Yang Wei, and ofcourse Michael Phelps, we heard of him, even in my cave :p 

But no sooner had I shown a little interest in the game, My sister announced today that Pakistan lost the match with Netherlands . . .  hence is out.Ermm There goes the olympic dream!

Hence I'll be returning to my cave now Embarrassed

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net