URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1244
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 12:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Democracy Problem
Posted By: Ali Zaki
Subject: The Democracy Problem
Date Posted: 17 June 2005 at 11:30am

WHAT IS �THE DEMOCRACY PROBLEM?�

Since I reverted to Islam, I have always been interested in the views of Muslims living in other countries regarding my native land. Among the most surprising things I have heard are those Muslims who believe (much like George Bush) that �Democracy� is the solution for the Muslim world. While a limited (and Islamically based) democratic government is certainly preferable to a dictatorship, an American style (or Western) democratic system is not supported by Islam.

As a Muslim who lives in a democratic country, I have some knowledge as well as personal experience with democracy. In fact, so do I�ll the members of this forum (as it is very democratic, I must say). Much has been written about the merits of a democratic system, however, there are major problems with it as well.

Problem # 1- Reasonable People Will Disagree, and They Often Do.

The purpose of a government is primarily two 1.) To protect the citizens against both foreign and domestics enemies and 2.) To establish justice. These are both lofty goals, and almost noone would disagree on their necessity. The problem (in a democratic society)  is when these concepts are applied to a specific cases.

EXAMPLE

-         Which specific foreign governments do we believe are our true allies (not just opportunist) and deserve support and which are our enemies?

-         How should drug addicts be punished? Are they a threat to the safety of others (and should be imprisoned) , or are they (primarily) on a threat to themselves (and should be treated)?

Problem # 2- Public Opinion is Unreliable and Fickle.

At one point in U.S. History, the majority owned the minority (i.e., whites owned blacks), and this was considered perfectly normal (and thus was legal). At one point in U.S. history, women and children were considered the property of their husband and had (almost) no legal rights. This shows that public opinion cannot be relied upon to correctly identify right from wrong (in an absolute sense). As a result, democracies often fail to correctly identify their enemies and allies, and do not have a good �track record� of dealing justly with (even) their own citizens.

Because Western-style democracies are a man-made creation, the source of their authority is the people (Nas). In Islam, the source of all authority is ONLY Allah (s.w.a.), and this authority was given by Allah (s.w.a.) to the Holy Messenger and his chosen successors.

WHAT�S THE SOLUTION?

The first question we must ask is �Does Islam support a democratic process of selecting leaders?� The answer to this question can be ascertained by studying the actions of the Prophet (a.s.) as the Caliphate of the first Islamic community in Medina.

The Prophet (a.s.) during his lifetime was recognized by ALL Muslims as the one and only source of political authority. He was also the Imam, which combines both political and spiritual authority. The leadership authority (i.e., Imamate) of the Prophet (a.s.) was delegated to certain individuals (such as Ali (a.s.), Osama, etc.) by specific appointment by the Prophet (a.s.) himself.

There is no evidence (that I have found) of any instance during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet were the Muslims were allowed to select the person that would be the Wasi (deputy) of the Holy Messenger during his absence.

THE QURAN IS CLEAR ON THE ISSUE OF AUTHOITY AND LEADERSHIP?

SOURCE OF ALL AUTHORITY IS ALLAH

"And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah.  He is the ruling judge." (42:10)

�"But the decision of all things is certainly with Allah." (13:31)

"The decision (hukm) is only for Allah.  He declares the truth, and He is the best of judges." (6:57)

AUTHORITY OF THE MOST NOBLE MESSENGER

"Say (Prophet Muhammad) to mankind, 'If you really love Allah, then follow me.  Allah will love you and forgive you your sins, and Allah is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (3:31)

"It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter, that they should have any opinion in their decision.  And whoever disobeys Allah and His messenger, he has indeed strayed in plain error." (33:36)

AUTHORITY OF THE IMAM

O ye who believe!  Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those vested with authority over you ('ul ul-'amr minkum).  And if you quarrel about something, refer it to Allah and the Messenger."

The phrase ('ul ul-'amr minkum) can only refer to one who�s authority has been granted to him by the appointment of the Most Noble Messenger. This is the Imam.

WHO IS AN IMAM?

An Imam exercises the duties of the Prophet (except prophethood), although he is NOT a prophet. The necessity of someone fulfilling this role is obvious, since the only legitimate source of authority is Allah (s.w.a), who selected the Prophet Muhammad (a.s.) as the Prophet (a.s.) of Islam. When the Prophet died, the message of Islam had been conveyed to the Umma, however, the others roles and duties exercised by the Prophet (to explain Islam, Leadership (general), Immate) still needed to be performed. The only person who could legitimately claim this position would have to be someone who was specifically appointed by the Prophet, otherwise the source of their authority would be from the Umma, rather than from Allah (s.w.a.) and the Holy Messenger (a.s.). The reason that they must be selected is that only the Prophet (a.s.), and not the Muslims, is able to understand the multi-dimensional role of Immate and who is qualified for this role.

-------------
"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)

Replies:
Posted By: b95000
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ali Zaki Ali Zaki wrote:

At one point in U.S. History, the majority owned the minority (i.e., whites owned blacks), and this was considered perfectly normal (and thus was legal).

This was not a universal position and many adovacted for the elimination of slave references (the 3/5th references) even in the writing of the US Constitution leading up to 1783..To many, many abolitionists and Christians in the Northeast (Quakers and Pilgrims for example) slavery was morally reprehensible.  The abolitionist cause took on more and more fervor and combined with states rights caused a cataclysmic civil war in the United States.  Hardly can it be said that it was considered "perfectly normal" by everyone then.

-------------
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Ali Zaki Ali Zaki wrote:

As a result, democracies often fail to correctly identify their enemies and allies, and do not have a good �track record� of dealing justly with (even) their own citizens.

Let us compare the track record of the relatively new democracies with any other statist form of government ever.  Are you seriously suggesting that the democracies have a worse record than say the states run by monarchies or fuedally, etc.?  What about the modern predominantly Muslim state governments - what sort of track record do they have 'dealing justly with (even) their own citizens'?

It seems to me that you're dealing with pie in the sky - as Winston Churchill once said 'democracy is the worst form of government - except for all the others..'

Please cite other state governments that have better track records than democracies...

-------------
Bruce

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 4:45pm

Wasn't the US a democracy in 2003? Did it not fail to fool her citizens and drive them through a maze of fear politics? Blame a criminal war on dodgy intelligence and then pin a Medal of Freedom on the man supposed to mislead them?

Democracy has lost her image since the recent American example.

When I was growing up in the 50s, promise, I thought both democracy and the US were as if some divine gifts!!

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

Wasn't the US a democracy in 2003? Did it not fail to fool her citizens and drive them through a maze of fear politics?

B: Do you not understand or refuse to acknowledge what transpired on Sept. 11, 2001?  Or in Dar es Salaam or Nariobi August 7th, 1998?

Blame a criminal war on dodgy intelligence and then pin a Medal of Freedom on the man supposed to mislead them?

B: 'dodgy intelligence' - you of course place no blame on the regime who killed millions in Iraq and Iran...why is that?  If you had intellectual consistency you would at least acknowledge these things Sasha..

Democracy has lost her image since the recent American example.

When I was growing up in the 50s, promise, I thought both democracy and the US were as if some divine gifts!!

B:  I've review the great truism: The West and democracy is neither wholly good or wholly bad - and the same with the East.  To write and post with a great eye only on the critical and evil is wrong, imho, especially without specificity.

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:20am

Extremely sad! I had really taken you for someone with a bit of sense and thats the only reason I had started to respond to your posts. Can you just stick to this point for a change?

What has Sept. 11, 2001?  Or in Dar es Salaam or Nariobi August 7th, 1998 got to do with the invasion of Iraq? Even your intelligence had reported that there was no link between Al-Quaeda and Iraq.

Is it really that hard for you to deal with questions at hand? Instead of answering a simple question like "how come a man who was accused of providing your country faulty intelligence has been awarded the Medal of Freedom"? you have again jumped straight into Saddam's court.

I did not know Saddam was responsible for your dodgy intelligence. 

I hold a lot of specifics, in fact more than you could ever imagine. But then there is an old English saying: "Never cast thy pearls before te swine". The day you begin to answer questions and prove yourself capable of serious parleys instead of flying off into some other corner at the sight of each serious question, we will talk

Right now you just seem to be playing some Dick Chenny lines and, almost as if you are paid for doing that.

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 19 July 2005 at 5:28pm

I hold a lot of specifics, in fact more than you could ever imagine. But then there is an old English saying: "Never cast thy pearls before te swine". The day you begin to answer questions and prove yourself capable of serious parleys instead of flying off into some other corner at the sight of each serious question, we will talk

Whisper, actually that is not an old English saying.  It is a verse from the Gopsel of Jesus (pbuh) according to Matthew. 

Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.  (Matthew 7:6)

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 22 July 2005 at 12:32am
Khadija! How would I thank you for this correction? I am amazed at the whole verse. How it applies to the global situation of the day.

Date Posted: 22 July 2005 at 1:00pm

Extremely sad! I had really taken you for someone with a bit of sense and thats the only reason I had started to respond to your posts. Can you just stick to this point for a change?

B: Ah, Sasha, when I, or someone else, doesn't agree with you on every point - please don't take it personally!  I have no problem sticking to the point.  It just isn't always your point.  And that really seems to irk you.  I am not beholden to you to follow your rules for how I should post.  The same is true in reverse.

What has Sept. 11, 2001?  Or in Dar es Salaam or Nariobi August 7th, 1998 got to do with the invasion of Iraq? Even your intelligence had reported that there was no link between Al-Quaeda and Iraq.

B: Sasha, this is not wholly true.  What the bi-partisan group that wrote the 9/11 commission report actually said was that there was no evidence of a operational link between Saddam and the Sept. 11th attacks.  That is very different from saying there was no link between Iraq and AQ.  Such is demontrably NOT TRUE.  There was indeed a link that can be demonstrated through history, intel and documentation.

Furthermore, if you cannot see the connection between terrorism in general and the US actions in the ME today - then I pity you.  If Islamic motivated terror were not a reality and had not killed and maimed thousands and thousands in the past 10 years - the US would not be present in the ME as it is today.  This is a great challenge to Islam - get your house in order and the US/MNF will leave you to your freedoms.  Allow your extremist elements to slaughter our free peoples and you will be paying a price.  You shouldn't expect to mess with a bull and not get the horns.  I say this with all due respect to innocent people everywhere..

Is it really that hard for you to deal with questions at hand?

B: Not at all.  It is very hard for me to be controlled by another.  As is the case for you, too, I am sure.  You cannot command me to follow a certain path.  Furthermore, the path I've taken in these discussions has not been unreasonable, at all, in my humble opinion.

Instead of answering a simple question like "how come a man who was accused of providing your country faulty intelligence has been awarded the Medal of Freedom"? you have again jumped straight into Saddam's court.

B: Are you speaking of Chalabi - the guy that was chummy with the Iranian regime?

I did not know Saddam was responsible for your dodgy intelligence.

B: Come on now Sasha - are you really saying you don't think Saddam put our massive counter and mis-information?  That much seems very clear in hindsight - now that the level of WMD expected within Iraq was not found.  Of course that was Saddam putting out all sorts of heinous trial balloons...you don't accept that basic premise?

I hold a lot of specifics, in fact more than you could ever imagine.

B: Great, with specifics can come better discussions, more important nuance and conclusions that we can both agree on - rather than casting aspersions on each other - which does neither of us, nor anyone else, any good..

But then there is an old English saying: "Never cast thy pearls before te swine".

B: You do realize you're quoting Jesus Christ there?

The day you begin to answer questions and prove yourself capable of serious parleys instead of flying off into some other corner at the sight of each serious question, we will talk

B: Ah, the day I acknowledge that 'you're the one in control.'  Sorry.  Perhaps that day will not come then Sasha.  You can choose to label me anyway you choose - in fact you've already done that quite unfairly I might add - but that doesn't mean I've avoided answering your questions.  You have only now begun to get down to specifics.  Great, as far as I'm concerned we can now talk.  But if you want to add crazy non sequitur conclusions like you just did above - that may not happen.  Suit yourself...I'm simply a 'stupid American' to you, I suppose.  And you to me?  Maybe you'll never know...and that's too bad.  As my friends say in East Africa: Mucalma qwabaza olway bilungi...May God bless  you and give you a good day..

Right now you just seem to be playing some Dick Chenny lines and, almost as if you are paid for doing that.

B: Whatever Sasha! 

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 23 July 2005 at 4:19pm

. . . the bi-partisan group that wrote the 9/11 commission report actually said was that "there was no evidence of a operational link between Saddam and the Sept. 11th attacks".

And, that stands as the exact truth however hard you try to distort it.

B: Are you speaking of Chalabi - the guy that was chummy with the Iranian regime?
When was Chalabi given a Medal of Freedom? You well know I meant George Tenett. He was the chief of your intelligence not Chalabi.

And, whats wrong about being friendly with Iran or any other of our neighbours. Must we always follow the US agenda in our regional affairs? 

B: You do realize you're quoting Jesus Christ there?    Thank you, I stand corrected. That's even better.

B: Ah, the day I acknowledge that 'you're the one in control.' 

My insistance on following a format of discussion has nothing to with control or anything of the sort. It's a serious disorder to just jump off a question when it begins to make sense that we do not wish to recognise. In fact, it's a very serious personality disorder, a psychiatrist told me at a recent conference.

I share your sadness. You have no points in your arsenal. That's perhaps the only reason why you are trying to score some here. Wish you luck in convincing yourself that the US has never taken a step wrong in her history and it's just Islam's fault that your country has lost her respect, image and total credibilty.

Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 6:32pm

. . . the bi-partisan group that wrote the 9/11 commission report actually said was that "there was no evidence of a operational link between Saddam and the Sept. 11th attacks".

And, that stands as the exact truth however hard you try to distort it.

B: Excuse me, that was not your language - I was the one that clarified that phrase to the phrase used in the report - not you.  Therefore I was doing no 'distorting' you idiot - you were!  I'm simply amazed how you can pawn off on me the exact opposite of what transpired.  You really shouldn't be so sloppy with your language Sasha.  Secondly, this phrase says much, among the things it says is that we cannot prove or disprove that Saddam had operational links to 9/11 and we CERTAINLY know that Saddam had links in general and provided and aid and support to al Qaeda - that is documented and beyond refutation.  But I notice you didn't want to go there Sasha...is that inconvenient for your pet theorizations?

B Original: Are you speaking of Chalabi - the guy that was chummy with the Iranian regime?
When was Chalabi given a Medal of Freedom? You well know I meant George Tenett. He was the chief of your intelligence not Chalabi.

And, whats wrong about being friendly with Iran or any other of our neighbours. Must we always follow the US agenda in our regional affairs? 

B: You do realize you're quoting Jesus Christ there?    Thank you, I stand corrected. That's even better.

B: Ah, the day I acknowledge that 'you're the one in control.' 

My insistance on following a format of discussion has nothing to with control or anything of the sort. It's a serious disorder to just jump off a question when it begins to make sense that we do not wish to recognise. In fact, it's a very serious personality disorder, a psychiatrist told me at a recent conference.

B: Oh my, this is rich in hilarity!  You've GOT to be joking on this...Sasha, you've lept from the ridiculous to the sublime...what are we going to do with you now?  You've never shown me where I've either not answered a question you've put or swerved off...you only accuse...and throw prejoratives at all 300 million Americans..at an entire race, an entire nation...hmm.. that would be racist...what does your psychiatrist friend say about that as a 'serious personality disorder?'  Curious...

I share your sadness. You have no points in your arsenal. That's perhaps the only reason why you are trying to score some here.

B: This is only about the 6th time you've posted this...?!?  Don't you have anything to say?  I guess you're running low on racist remarks today? [According to Sasha: ALL 300 million Americans are 'stupid' and 'foolish' and have a 'difficult time thinking.']

-------------
Bruce

Posted By: Noah
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 7:47pm
Peace

Quote Secondly, this phrase says much, among the things it says is that we cannot prove or disprove that Saddam had operational links to 9/11 and we CERTAINLY know that Saddam had links in general and provided and aid and support to al Qaeda - that is documented and beyond refutation

So, if someone robs your house, and you think it might be the neighbour, but you can neither prove, nor disproof it. but you do know that he did at some point have something to do, or was perhaps involved with theft, thats valid reason enough to go smash his door in, and burn down the house?. Am i correct ,in following the outline of the logic you just presented?. As for the unrefutable evidence. please elaborate on this. Me, and say...most of the european press would love to see it. Because as of now...we havent seen nothing of the kind. The only link between Al-Queda and Iraq so far has been the Q.

If you did you homework, youd know that before the first gulfwar, the mujahideen tried to coup iraq. Do you know why they failed? do you know who came to saddams rescue? well do you? If you dont, find out!

Peace
Noah

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

Peace

Quote Secondly, this phrase says much, among the things it says is that we cannot prove or disprove that Saddam had operational links to 9/11 and we CERTAINLY know that Saddam had links in general and provided and aid and support to al Qaeda - that is documented and beyond refutation

So, if someone robs your house, and you think it might be the neighbour, but you can neither prove, nor disproof it. but you do know that he did at some point have something to do, or was perhaps involved with theft, thats valid reason enough to go smash his door in, and burn down the house?. Am i correct ,in following the outline of the logic you just presented?.

B: That depends.  Did the neighbor murder people and bury them all over his back yard?  Did he go on to murder and rape some of his kids?  Did he threaten to murder more people in the neigborhood and even masses of others in other neighborhoods - all the while violating city and state ordinances and even federal ordinances...was all this validated by everyone in the neighborhood and then by evidence afterward?  I would have no guilt for having smashed down that evil man's door and bringing him to justice and setting his family free, no.

As for the unrefutable evidence. please elaborate on this. Me, and say...most of the european press would love to see it. Because as of now...we havent seen nothing of the kind. The only link between Al-Queda and Iraq so far has been the Q.

B: You surely know about the high level contacts between the Iraqi Intelligence Services under Saddam and al Qaeda leadership, don't you?  Assuming of course, you're doing your homework!?

-------------
Bruce

Posted By: nico
Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 4:11pm

The problem is associating Democracy with the US, Islam has a moderate history regarding Democracy. When you consider that the Caliph was elected by a group of religious scholars (Ulema) I believe, and the ideal of shura was created by the Ummah well before the European concepts of legitimacy, and transperancy. The Islamic form of Democracy is not unlike the British Parliamentary system, and it is a model which I believe that modern Islamic democracies can base themselves on. Like Britain, the Ummah has a common law constitution which was created by Fiqhs, and Sharia. The "problem of Democracy" is non-existant, the problem is that lack of it. Four things taint Democracy in the region:

1) oil

2) Tyrannical Dictatorships

3) Western Support of those dictatorships

4) Threat of Radical Islam

Those four things have been all mutually reinforcing to stop the growth of democracy in the region it goes like this:

Oil=Western Markets=Money=Western Oil Interests=Support of Regimes who supply the oil=In return for support social stability=Population Apathetic=To keep Social Stability the regimes pay off their potential enemies=radical Islamists cannot be bought=Regimes tell West that Islamists are worse options them themselves=More Western Support for Tyranny.

Basically how it works.

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 4:37pm
Thanks Nico - interesting post.

How would you suggest this vicious cycle be derailed?

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 4:59pm

Common sense, its simple the world economy for all its computers and hi-tech toys is still a economy that is essentially the same as it was in 1913. It is an oil based economy, whilst the capitalist world has been in the hot pursuit of the cheapest, most efficent way to make things and transport them. The cheapest, easiest, and efficent way to transport things has been the internal combustion engine, invented back in the 1890's I believe. So throughout the last 115 years or so, the world economy has revolved around the King of Oil. The Islamic world in this regard is powerless to change anything, as long as the oil is flowing and the money is coming back these regimes are there to stay (unless there is SO much angst like in Russia which was the Saudi Arabia of the early 1900's), so if Muslims want democracy, freedom, and all these goodies they will need to advocate a Green Economy here in the West. Problematically for them, advocating such a massive economic shift nessecitates that their economies would collapse, and so would much of the Islamic world's economy be plunged into depression. Oil is what I call "Allah's curse" Muslim societies have been able to circumvent modernization, change, and democracy by having oil which "rents" the leaders of these nations legitmacy (that is why they are called Rentier nations). To me Islam and Democracy, Islam and Modernization already are growing and thriving in nations without oil like Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 5:32pm
Nico. wow man, you burst right into the core of things. i have nothing to further add. i wouldt have gone there for anothr 3 or 4 pages.

Peace
Noah

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 5:42pm
Quote B: That depends.  Did the neighbor murder people and bury them all over his back yard?  Did he go on to murder and rape some of his kids?  Did he threaten to murder more people in the neigborhood and even masses of others in other neighborhoods - all the while violating city and state ordinances and even federal ordinances...was all this validated by everyone in the neighborhood and then by evidence afterward?  I would have no guilt for having smashed down that evil man's door and bringing him to justice and setting his family free, no.

You answer the question you wish i would have asked it seems. Here is the Question again

So, if someone robs your house, and you think it might be the neighbour, but you can neither prove, nor disproof it. but you do know that he did at some point have something to do, or was perhaps involved with theft, thats valid reason enough to go smash his door in, and burn down the house?. Am i correct ,in following the outline of the logic you just presented?.

B: You surely know about the high level contacts between the Iraqi Intelligence Services under Saddam and al Qaeda leadership, don't you?  Assuming of course, you're doing your homework!?

My best freind was mujahideen. I have this streight from the horses mouth. I have confirmed it by media sources aswell although they tend to only tell what serves them or whatever agenda they might have.

No i actually dont know about those high level contacts, because they didnt excist at all ever. They met up with him, because saddam had become scared and suddenly gave it as the faithfull muslim (allthough when he came to power he was communist) calling for a jihad. The mujahideen smelled rat (and had a problem with his rule in first place) and left, to later attack him. They where slaughtered by saddams forces, American marines, Brittish S.A.S and their new hardware, courtesy of the UNITED STATES!
So yes i have as usuallly really done my homework, because information is one of the things i love most about the world :)

here comes a question though...

Quote under Saddam and al Qaeda leadership, don't you?

leadership of what? Al'Queda has never been anywhere near power in Iraq? Today they properbly are active in the sunni triangle again, but what does that tell you? its the shiits that keep smashing everything up, and the sunnis that try to hunt them down. Its insanity. we were brethren once

Peace
Noah

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by nico nico wrote:

Common sense, its simple the world economy for all its computers and hi-tech toys is still a economy that is essentially the same as it was in 1913. It is an oil based economy, whilst the capitalist world has been in the hot pursuit of the cheapest, most efficent way to make things and transport them. The cheapest, easiest, and efficent way to transport things has been the internal combustion engine, invented back in the 1890's I believe. So throughout the last 115 years or so, the world economy has revolved around the King of Oil. The Islamic world in this regard is powerless to change anything, as long as the oil is flowing and the money is coming back these regimes are there to stay (unless there is SO much angst like in Russia which was the Saudi Arabia of the early 1900's), so if Muslims want democracy, freedom, and all these goodies they will need to advocate a Green Economy here in the West. Problematically for them, advocating such a massive economic shift nessecitates that their economies would collapse, and so would much of the Islamic world's economy be plunged into depression. Oil is what I call "Allah's curse" Muslim societies have been able to circumvent modernization, change, and democracy by having oil which "rents" the leaders of these nations legitmacy (that is why they are called Rentier nations). To me Islam and Democracy, Islam and Modernization already are growing and thriving in nations without oil like Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Economics certainly has a huge part - perhaps predominant as you may suggest - part to play.  However, we cannot minimize the impact or radicalized Islam on the region.  Taking personal responsibility for commonly held religious principles and opposing vigorously those that don't is a huge test for Islam as a great world faith.  Diversifying economically will be another huge test for the region.

As to the successful models you point to, you can add Turkey to that list, although do they have oil - can't recall...also do the nations you mention have secular governments, institutions and constitutions (again not sure on all the specifics there) but that would also set them apart from many of the other so-called predominantly Muslim nation states.

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

Quote B: That depends.  Did the neighbor murder people and bury them all over his back yard?  Did he go on to murder and rape some of his kids?  Did he threaten to murder more people in the neigborhood and even masses of others in other neighborhoods - all the while violating city and state ordinances and even federal ordinances...was all this validated by everyone in the neighborhood and then by evidence afterward?  I would have no guilt for having smashed down that evil man's door and bringing him to justice and setting his family free, no.

Noah: You answer the question you wish i would have asked it seems. Here is the Question again

B: No, I answered your question and here's how (can you make the inference?)  If someone has done all these other heinous deeds - is it such a stretch to understand that he could have committed the theft also (for which you don't have strict proof but which you have reasonable suspicions about)?  The answer is no and in the case of Saddam, we had reasonable and corroborating intelligence that suggested that he was an immediate threat.  The question really wasn't whether he was a threat or not.  That was clear - the whole world understood and operated under that reality.  The question was how much a threat and how immediate a threat.  That is the only hook on which the anti-Iraq liberation crowd can hang their arguments.  Because all the other stuff I mentioned - about how heinous Saddam actually was - has been validated.

B original: You surely know about the high level contacts between the Iraqi Intelligence Services under Saddam and al Qaeda leadership, don't you?  Assuming of course, you're doing your homework!?

Noah: My best freind was mujahideen. I have this streight from the horses mouth. I have confirmed it by media sources aswell although they tend to only tell what serves them or whatever agenda they might have.

No i actually dont know about those high level contacts, because they didnt excist at all ever. They met up with him, because saddam had become scared and suddenly gave it as the faithfull muslim (allthough when he came to power he was communist) calling for a jihad. The mujahideen smelled rat (and had a problem with his rule in first place) and left, to later attack him. They where slaughtered by saddams forces, American marines, Brittish S.A.S and their new hardware, courtesy of the UNITED STATES!
So yes i have as usuallly really done my homework, because information is one of the things i love most about the world :)

B: Just fill me in to what you're discussing - the 80s or the 90s here?

here comes a question though...

Quote under Saddam and al Qaeda leadership, don't you?

leadership of what? Al'Queda has never been anywhere near power in Iraq? Today they properbly are active in the sunni triangle again, but what does that tell you? its the shiits that keep smashing everything up, and the sunnis that try to hunt them down. Its insanity. we were brethren once

Peace
Noah

That wasn't my point at all Noah.  It wasn't that al Qaeda was in power in Iraq it was that they had the ear of the Iraqi state and that the Iraqi state appartus was assisting them in many and sundry ways - through diplomatic pouches and papers and there were many meetings over the 12 or 13 years prior to 2003 between IIS and important al Qaeda operatives and representatives.  Iraq had all kinds of weapons and other expertise, all kinds of motive and this kind of collaboration would portend all kinds of trouble and threat - even as it did in Afghanistan...

Are you also opposed to the MNF action in Afghanistan?

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 2:37pm

Economics certainly has a huge part - perhaps predominant as you may suggest - part to play. However, we cannot minimize the impact or radicalized Islam on the region.

Radicalized Islam exists out of materialism, it exists because of the economic failure of the regimes to bring the nessecary improvements in living standards, it exists out of the failure of Nasserism to bring about a Arab revival, its stems from the secular Arab regimes being humiliated in 1967 (a major turning point for the regions intellectual history), it also exists due to the role of Islam in the war in Afghanistan, and the Iranian Revolution (1979 the most important year in modern Islamic history) it showed to people that Islam is feasible and possible to acheive through violent means (although now violent Jihad is widely discredited by most Muslims and even Islamists as a way to achieve power). The economies of the region allow for wasat or corruption, which is the biggest greviance that the people of the region have against their gov'ts, and the Islamists (peaceful or not) play on that angst of intrenched special interests at the top of the population at the expense of the lower segments. It is the opposite of the European experience where the Church was that vested interest and the people became secularized, here visa versa. They have legitimate points that it is un-Islamic to have such massive discrepancies in wealth and oppurtunity, these societies exist because we support them, and because the population is disempowered, and apathetic and usually can be bought off.

As to the successful models you point to, you can add Turkey to that list,

I don't due to the role of the ultra-secularist military in the democracy (especially considering it has thrown out Islamic parties in the past from power), the human rights abuses done against Kurds.

although do they have oil

They don't have enough to even satisfy their own needs.

also do the nations you mention have secular governments, institutions and constitutions (again not sure on all the specifics there) but that would also set them apart from many of the other so-called predominantly Muslim nation states.

No it wouldn't, the vast majority of Muslim states in existance are secular states, with secularized constitutions, and nominal democratic instituions. What lacks in the Muslim world apart from a few exceptions is constitutionalism (actually abiding by the rules of the constitution).As it stands today there are no real "Islamic states", as in Islam there is only one state the Ummah. The very existance of "states" is un-Islamic and presents a HUGE challenges to Muslims.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by nico nico wrote:

it also exists due to the role of Islam in the war in Afghanistan, and the Iranian Revolution (1979 the most important year in modern Islamic history) it showed to people that Islam is feasible and possible to acheive through violent means (although now violent Jihad is widely discredited by most Muslims and even Islamists as a way to achieve power).

Thanks Nico, for that throughtful treatment.  I would say about the above comment - though most Muslims may have discredited violence even 6% thought the London tube murders were justified.  That amounts to 100,000 British Muslims.  That's a lot of people if only a nominal percentage...that is problematic..

I agree to your thoughts on abiding by constitutional law and the Muslim view of the nation-state which I haven't seen discussed her much yet - although I'm pretty new here.

-------------
Bruce

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net