Forum Description: World Politics
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1225
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 2:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: American Philosophy
Posted By: Whisper
Subject: American Philosophy
Date Posted: 16 June 2005 at 8:56am
A young woman was jogging in a New York park when she was suddenly attacked by a ferocious Bulldog. A man saved the woman in distress by killing the dog. The woman thanked the man and said, "The headlines in the newspapers tomorrow shall be; Brave New Yorker saves the life of a woman. "The man replied, " I not a New Yorker". OK said the woman "The headlines shall be; Brave American saves the life of a woman". "I am not an American either" said the man. "I am a Pakistani". The headlines of the next day were "Fundamentalist Pakistani kills innocent American dog". -MAJ (Retd) FATEH ALAM, Lahore, June 11

Replies:
Posted By: ZamanH
Date Posted: 17 June 2005 at 12:55am

This seems to be the perfect setting to tell you about another ambulance person, Muhammad Salman Hamdani, a young Pakistani-American resident of New York City who was missing after the World Trade Center attacks. Hamdani had helped pay his way through Queens College by working as a part time EMT.

Salman, as his family called him, was a research assistant at Rockefeller University and was on his way to work on the morning of September 11. He did not have any reason to be in or near the Trade Center; his family believed that he saw the disaster from the elevated train that he took, that he went there to help, and died.

After Salman vanished, a New York newspaper published an article saying that he was under investigation for links to the terrorists who attacked the U.S. on September 11-- diverse irrelevant facts were adduced to support the supposition that Salman was a terrorist, such as the fact that he had studied chemistry, that he was a lab technician at the university. Fliers went up in his neighborhood saying that the FBI wanted to speak with him--fliers that were later said not to have been authorized by any law enforcement agency.

Imagine losing your child and then having to hear that he is under suspicion. This is what Salman's parents suffered. Six months later, Salman's body was found in the wreckage of the World Trade Center. What had happened was exactly what his family had believed: he had seen the disaster and he had gone there to help. He had life-saving skills and he went there to use them and he died.

Salman Hamdani is one of the lesser known heroes of the World Trade Center; several web sites which honor EMT's who died that day don't mention him. I wanted to bear witness to Salman's life and death. Salman Hamdani is who I would like to be: Someone who asks no questions but goes to help, no matter how intense the flames or how great the panic. That morning hundreds of thousands of people were running away--I was one of them-- and Salman ran in.

Today thousands of Americans and residents like Salman are under suspicion and under investigation and hundreds who are not citizens continue to be in endless immigration detention. Make no mistake about it, immigration detention is prison. And at least two Americans--one an Arab American, the other a convert to Islam-- are in military prisons, held without charges, denied access to lawyers or to a jury of their peers because they are thought to be linked to Al Quaeda. I have seen a lot of sh*t come down in my almost fifty years on earth, but--I am an optimist--I really never thought I would see a day when even American citizens were disappearing into federal custody without charges or trial.

The malevolent are too self-righteous to see it and the doubtful are too confused, but if anyone can disappear into federal custody, so could you or I. If we tolerate these abrogations of our liberties for any reason--because the towers fell on September 11 and we are fearful, because there are bad people out there seeking to kill us--then we are falling into an infantile trust of the government. The check on the system at such a moment is no longer the due process of law but simply the faith that the government which has thrown others into prison without any opportunity to clear themselves at trial will be too sensible to do the same to us. That hope is a very thin reed.

Salman illustrates for me the best about humans, but his story also illustrates the worst about us: the hostility, the suspicion that surrounded him because his name, nationality and faith were different. Today, American society has caved in under the shock of the World Trade Center attacks, while powerful opportunists have used our fear as a jumping off point for their pre-existing agenda to wage war and cancel civil liberty. At a time when a powerful few are malevolent and many more are silent and doubtful, it is left to you--you who are here today and at the other demonstrations that have taken place around the nation--to act as the counterweight. If enough of us keep doing as you are doing--bearing witness to truth and standing up for liberty--then I believe the balance will shift back again. At first the change will be barely perceptible-- you, who brought it about, will be the first to feel it. I am not saying that justice always prevails in this country, just that it has no chance of doing so without you. In dark moments I always like to remember the words of Henry David Thoreau: "The sun is but a morning star. There is more day to dawn." I am not superstitious but if I can wave any good fortune your way I want with my whole spirit to do so: Bless Salman Hamdani and bless you.

http://www.spectacle.org/yearzero/hamdani.html - http://www.spectacle.org/yearzero/hamdani.html

-------------
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet

Date Posted: 04 July 2005 at 8:09am

Extremely interesting and typical of the American phobia. Almost as powerful as your name. brother, do you ever read the Harpers Magazine - not the Harpers and Queens?

You would just float or go mad.

Date Posted: 08 July 2005 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

Almost as powerful as your name. brother,

I didn't get at all what you meant to say.

-------------

Posted By: Clarabelle
Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 9:22am

ZamanH

I think the story of Salman is very sad. It does illustrate the need for us to understand eachother more and not to let our fear hurt innocent people and their families. It is a fact that newspapers are very selective in what they highlight, what they report and the words they use. It is also depressing that they are allowed to get away with it. I hope people are starting to realise that not all they say is true. It makes me angry!

I would like to ask you if you'd mind explaining some things in your 'signature' too:

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend. (I think I understand this one!)

Why will there be more women in hell than men? And heaven under mother's feet? Persecution is worse than the saughter of the enemy-who is the enemy? Is killing ok then?

I am not asking these things to cause anger or cause trouble-I really want to know!

Thanks

Clara

-------------
"We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessing of peace."

William Ewart Gladstone

Date Posted: 11 July 2005 at 3:35pm

"Zaman" is very powerful name. It means the "time" and also the "universe" in the same breath. It's a very powerful expression in Farisi. Your post is even more powerful than "Zaman".

That's what I meant.

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 12:35am

My point was, for friendship to be permanent it should be based on more permanent factors than enmity to a common foe. My reference was to the "divide and rule" policy of the West and how Muslims are fooled by it, as, they support the West against each other and in the end, its the West alone that wins, while the Muslims lose. Friendship that is based on more permanent factors such as trade or, even proximity should be valued more than the one that is based merely on enmity to a common foe (once the common foe goes, the friendship also ends).  

That is because I believe they cause differences amongst men. I believe they are more selfish than men.

I believe killing is right, if its for self-defence. Since the death of the Prophet, West is the greatest of all threats to emerge against Islam.

Heaven lies under mother's feet.

This is an authentic hadith regarding the gratitude one must feel towards one's mother. It was Nausheen's idea that I put it there.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:23pm

An enemy of a friend... Yes, I agree on this point. But please do not include everyone who lives in the West as the enemy of Muslims. A lot of us are friends. Many of us disagree with the wars our governments have waged. MOST of us want peace.

If you mean self defence face to face as in if someone is pointing a gun at you and you manage to kill them first, I agree. If you mean bombing/shooting in the hope that those who have killed your people will be among those you kill, I disagree. I don't think this is self defence. That is how innocents die and maybe some of your supporters. 

More women in hell than men.... (I probably should not get started on this one!) I wish to say that I disagree wholeheartedly, 110%! SOME women may be more selfish than SOME men but what you say is a huge generalisation and I feel it is sexist and prejudiced. SOME men are also more selfish than SOME women. More fool those men that let women come between them!

Heaven lies under mother's feet. This is very touching and something I can relate to. I have a wonderful mother who is unfortunately battling a terrible disease. She is a beautiful person through and through. I am so grateful to her for all she has done for me. I have a huge respect for my parents.

Please know Zaman, that I am not personally attacking you! I am just letting you know my beliefs too. I really am intersted in what everyone has to say.

Clara

-------------
"We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessing of peace."

William Ewart Gladstone

Posted By: b95000
Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

Since the death of the Prophet, West is the greatest of all threats to emerge against Islam.

Why?

-------------
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 5:40am
Originally posted by b95000 b95000 wrote:

Since the death of the Prophet, West is the greatest of all threats to emerge against Islam.

Why?

To correct myself, West is a greatest threat to emerge to all of mankind (not just the Muslims).

Westerners became powerful because others made the mistake of trusting them. Most of their empire was created by unscrupulous traders (not because of its military) who betrayed their benefactors from other lands. Columbus actually enslaved his own saviour.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 5:44am
Originally posted by clarabelle clarabelle wrote:

Please know Zaman, that I am not personally attacking you! I am just letting you know my beliefs too. I really am intersted in what everyone has to say.

Clara

Yes, I understand.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 7:21pm

Why?

To correct myself, West is a greatest threat to emerge to all of mankind (not just the Muslims).

Westerners became powerful because others made the mistake of trusting them. Most of their empire was created by unscrupulous traders (not because of its military) who betrayed their benefactors from other lands. Columbus actually enslaved his own saviour.

This is not true.  To view history through one simple prism is rarely ever a true picture - whether that prism is a Western or Eastern perspective.  To see nuances and understand more about human nature reveals a fuller picture of responsiblities.  The West & the East are neither wholly good nor wholly bad.

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:07am

"To see nuances and understand more about human nature reveals a fuller picture of responsiblities.  The West & the East are neither wholly good nor wholly bad."

I agree. I think that sometimes it is all to easy to generalise and this causes many problems.

Clara

-------------

William Ewart Gladstone

Date Posted: 21 July 2005 at 1:41am

This is not true.  To view history through one simple prism is rarely ever a true picture - whether that prism is a Western or Eastern perspective.  To see nuances and understand more about human nature reveals a fuller picture of responsiblities.  The West & the East are neither wholly good nor wholly bad.

I know truth is lot more complex. But you do need some prism to separate what is siginificant from what is insignificant. Of course, the question is who has the right prism??

-------------

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 4:00pm

I know truth is lot more complex. But you do need some prism to separate what is siginificant from what is insignificant. Of course, the question is who has the right prism??

Yes Zaman, I agree to the first part.  To the second - how can any one person have the "right prism"?  Isn't that the reality of the complexity; that we come at it with imperfect tools, seeing, as it were, through a glass darkly?  In that case we need to respect other viewpoints and not castigate them as 'stupid' or 'foolish' yada, yada, but instead attempt to learn from those not like us - so we can better complete our own prism with which to perceive truth.

I am constantly challenged to know others from other cultures and it is always a good thing, in my experience, when I interact with others who are different than I.

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 27 July 2005 at 3:14pm

The others will be tempted to learn from you only if you are not desperately trying to paste your national agenda on them. And, you learn to respect if not understand their culture, customs, perceptions and reactions to anything and evrything in the world - instead of taking it for granted that because you are American, your word should be treated as the last.

And, when they are already suffering occupations, you should refrain from rubbing salt in their wounds by focing them to accept these as some grand liberations.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 4:30pm

The others will be tempted to learn from you only if you are not desperately trying to paste your national agenda on them.

B: Of course, that is your opinion, and you love to paint this spin.  Does that mean that you're correct?

And, you learn to respect if not understand their culture, customs, perceptions and reactions to anything and evrything in the world - instead of taking it for granted that because you are American, your word should be treated as the last.

B: I've never, ever, claimed anything like this.  You've imparted it to me!  Why, only you can answer.  On the flip side, you seem just fine being racist toward all 300 million Americans, calling us 'stupid' and 'fools.'

And, when they are already suffering occupations, you should refrain from rubbing salt in their wounds by forcing them to accept these as some grand liberations.

B: You should know that majorities of the Afghanis have supported the MNF actions, have voted and while they do look forward to MNF troops leaving they realize the important part they are playing in the transition to total independence.  You can call that what you will - but I'll simply call it the majority - which means your viewpoint is in the minority Sasha.  I don't call these 'grand' liberations, just liberations...but you're entitled to your minority opinion(s).

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 12:49pm

B: You should know that majorities of the Afghanis have supported the MNF actions

Now just hold on to your words and back your claim with the latest situation on the ground - without your monkey business of jumping off the points.

Rest of your post it typical vulgar street stuff.

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:16pm

B: You should know that majorities of the Afghanis have supported the MNF actions

Now just hold on to your words and back your claim with the latest situation on the ground - without your monkey business of jumping off the points.

Rest of your post it typical vulgar street stuff.

Why should I talk to you or meet any or your vulgar demands?

I will do so at my discretion and at the discretion of the non-racist, intellectully vigorous posters here - and not for you, Sasha the Whisperer...I'm basing my comments on recent reporting on the ground and the success of the Karzai government to bring relative stability to a country that's been war torn for over 30 years...and also on the reality that millions voted recently - including 4 million women - defying the Taliban terrorist ilk who threatened to kill them!

-------------
Bruce

Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 5:01pm

Bravo! It's racist to call Americans stupid, but it's okay for an American to hold an entire region as evil?

You hold no fresh info at all. Your reports are year too old! You can take your Karzai anywhere you like. It's a historical reality that we do not stand puppets lightly.

The stupid criminal Americans should have learnt a lesson from their British accomplices. The Brits tried a Bacha Saqah in the 1920s almost exactly like this.

He last for just about as much time. We still keep that tree where we hung him. We do not buy any Neo Con stuff.

You are again barking at the wrong tree. Go and shout at your controllers at the agency, their repots are just about as good as on those WMDs. 

Posted By: Duende
Date Posted: 31 July 2005 at 8:05am
I would like to kill a few birds with one stone- my 3 year old high
octane daughter doesn't allow me much time to read and write-
Zaman, it is wrong of us to assume that in heaven or hell our 'sex' or
gender is as important to us as it is on earth. I find American society
is a highly 'sexed' society so it is natural for someone in that
environment to be constantly conscious of the differences between
male and female. When we all learn to celebrate and appreciate these
differences we shall have a better, more harmonious society. To draw
such stark contrasts as you do, by saying women divide more than
men for example, only shows you have had a negative experience of
women in your life. You are right to honour your mother. Women
hold perhaps the greatest power in their biology which is that they
can nurture life. Also, I think you will find through experience that
the truth is ALWAYS frighteningly simple. Peace.

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 02 August 2006 at 4:53am

A young woman was jogging in a New York park when she was suddenly attacked by a ferocious Bulldog. A man saved the woman in distress by killing the dog. The woman thanked the man and said, "The headlines in the newspapers tomorrow shall be; Brave New Yorker saves the life of a woman. "The man replied, " I not a New Yorker". OK said the woman "The headlines shall be; Brave American saves the life of a woman". "I am not an American either" said the man. "I am a Pakistani". The headlines of the next day were "Fundamentalist Pakistani kills innocent American dog". -MAJ (Retd) FATEH ALAM, Lahore, June 11

Bismillah,

I just saw this!  Poignant!

Salaamu Alaykum

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 02 August 2006 at 10:45am

Assalaamu alaikum :ZamanH

Do you dislike women, brother, I noticed your signature:

Quran 2:191 reads as:2:191 And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

Is this a hindi concept, more women than men in Hell? I know that a lot of the old traditions treat women as chattel in India?

Also, is it wise to quote a quranic verse with this other "shirk appearing" phrases?

Just curious.

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 02 August 2006 at 10:58am

My point was, for friendship to be permanent it should be based on more permanent factors than enmity to a common foe. My reference was to the "divide and rule" policy of the West and how Muslims are fooled by it, as, they support the West against each other and in the end, its the West alone that wins, while the Muslims lose. Friendship that is based on more permanent factors such as trade or, even proximity should be valued more than the one that is based merely on enmity to a common foe (once the common foe goes, the friendship also ends).  

That is because I believe they cause differences amongst men. I believe they are more selfish than men.

I believe this to be untrue. Men rule the world and look at the state it is in. Children are borne by Women, and we do not want to send them to war to die. Women in power, less war. Men in power, the ego is the key. You rule with your pride and not your head. Look at the mess we are in. The world rulers that are wacky are men.  There are more women reverting to Islam than men. Watch the ticker on the Islamicity home page for a simple example.

I believe killing is right, if its for self-defence. Since the death of the Prophet, West is the greatest of all threats to emerge against Islam.

YOu have misquoted a verse in the Quran. I personally would not attempt this

Heaven lies under mother's feet.

This is an authentic hadith regarding the gratitude one must feel towards one's mother. It was Nausheen's idea that I put it there.

I would be careful what I put with a quranic quote or how I fracture the quote!

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:43am

"The West & the East are neither wholly good nor wholly bad."

A most abused apology for all the death and destruction "west" showers on "chidren of a lesser God" - the Lebanese Prime Minister's words, not mine!

Posted By: Mohini
Date Posted: 09 August 2006 at 9:42am
I think it is written somewhere in the Bible, though I have not read mine in a long time, that is us, the good USA that will receive the greatest punishment in the end.  Not all Amercians stand behind the actions of the government.  Unfortunately most of us are powerless against them and think parts of the world do not always understand this.  Fortunately we have the freedom to disagree with them but for the most part, powerless todo anything about it. How will we ever change this world? How will we repair what has been done?  How can we be so consistantly wrong in our policies?  How do we manage to create enemies all over the world? We the people are powerless over our governments decisions.  It would fall on deaf ears. The present administration has closed eyes and ears.  I just tell myself to hang on and it will be over in 2 1/2 years.  Or will it?

Date Posted: 15 August 2006 at 6:01pm

My friend, first of all, I must say, you have one of the most unusual and poetic screen names. I am lost right now, not too sure if its Sanskirit or Bangla?

You are absolutely right about mans' utter helpless state. One day, soon, we will change the economic system that renders us powerless. All indicators are for a system change. We won't ever find peace on our planet without Alternative Financial Therapy.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 15 August 2006 at 8:08pm

[PA most abused apology for all the death and destruction "west" showers on "chidren of a lesser God" - the Lebanese Prime Minister's words, not mine

How dare he?!

Time for regime change & operation freedom.

Posted By: Patty
Date Posted: 16 August 2006 at 10:34am

I like to show all sides of an issue.  The US made an especially sincere effort to honor all those from other countries who were victims of the 911 attack on the World Trade Center.  How can we ever expect to have peace when any and all efforts are constantly sabotaged by posts which tell only half truths?  I am totally for peace for all people on earth.  Not just for Americans, Brits, The West....but for ALL people.  Sometimes when it seems there is a little progress being made, I read articles which stir the pot once again....it seems to make sure we don't ever reach any agreements or learn to love one another.  It makes me physically sick anymore.  Why do we do this to each other???  Don't we all really want peace?  Or is it just a joke, and we "play" at saying we want peace while having our fingers crossed behind our backs?  Here is the article about Salman Hamdani, and others from foreign lands, from the State Department. 

http://usinfo.state.gov/albums/911/ham1.htm - http://usinfo.state.gov/albums/911/ham1.htm

-------------
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.

Posted By: Hanan
Date Posted: 16 August 2006 at 7:02pm

Patty wrote: I like to show all sides of an issue.

No you�re not.

I haven�t read one single sentence, on this or any other topic, where you did not try to present ONE side and ONE side only. You WRITE of peace and God, but the words between the lines show how you truly feel. But not to worry, you have plenty of company here on IslamiCity.

Patty wrote: The US made an especially sincere effort to honor all those from other countries who were victims of the 911 attack on the World Trade Center.

Special effort? Why shouldn�t they? After all, they were responsible for the deaths of all these people. If you don�t know what I mean, ask me!

Patty wrote: How can we ever expect to have peace when any and all efforts are constantly sabotaged by posts which tell only half truths?

Why don�t you step up to the plate and TELL US, since apparently you are the only one that knows the FULL truth.

Patty wrote: I am totally for peace for all people on earth. Not just for Americans, Brits, The West....but for ALL people.

� but it must be the American version of peace� otherwise we bomb everyone who disagrees back to the stone-age!

Patty wrote: Sometimes when it seems there is a little progress being made, I read articles which stir the pot once again....it seems to make sure we don't ever reach any agreements or learn to love one another.

The pot is going to be stirred until America acknowledges the RIGHTS of all those who want to live their lives without interference from the Neo-Cons, the Christian Right and the Neo-Nazis that have integrated themselves into the regime of the Evil Empire.

Patty wrote: Why do we do this to each other???

Why did you say WE? I thought that YOU are exempt from doing this to others?

Patty wrote: Don't we all really want peace? Or is it just a joke, and we "play" at saying we want peace while having our fingers crossed behind our backs?

Isn�t crossing fingers behind one�s back used by Americans when they�re lying?

Patty wrote: Here is the article about Salman Hamdani, and others from foreign lands, from the State Department.

This propaganda website is SUCH old news. I pity you for having to resort to this.

As I said on another topic page: �Of course people from all over the world were sympathetic and full of pain for America. Unfortunately, and the world didn't know that Dubya and his handlers had been laying in wait for something like this to happen so that they could finally pounce on Afghanistan and eventually Iraq.

You KNOW that the �wars� had been planned long before Dubya was even considered, by the puppeteers, as possible president.

I would like to ask you a question, Patty. Don�t you feel in your heart that there will never be world peace until all of humanity has accepted Christ as their saviour?

Date Posted: 18 August 2006 at 8:45pm

Hanan posted:

"I would like to ask you a question, Patty. Don�t you feel in your heart that there will never be world peace until all of humanity has accepted Christ as their saviour?"

No.  That is definitely not my belief.  Nor is it the belief of the Catholic Church. 

I have taken all the abuse from you that I intend to take.  I have done absolutely nothing to you.  The article I posted was given to me by a Muslim.  Sorry you didn't care for it. 

MODERATORS, WHY IS THIS WOMAN PERMITTED TO CONSTANTLY INSULT, RIDUCULE, AND SAY EXTREMELY RUDE THINGS ABOUT ME?  I AM IN TOTAL DISBELIEF THAT YOU PERMIT THIS ON YOUR SITE.  DO YOU WANT NON-MUSLIMS HERE, OR WOULD YOU PREFER WE LEAVE?  I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO ANY OF YOU.  I DO NOT CALL YOU NAMES, I AGREE THAT WAR IS WRONG AND AMERICAN TROOPS SHOULD NOT BE IN THE ME, BUT NO MATTER WHAT I SAY I AM REPEATEDLY AND CONSTANTLY BELITTLED BY HANAN.  I ASK YOU ONE TIME, WHY DO YOU ALLOW THIS?

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 19 August 2006 at 1:37am

I AM REPEATEDLY AND CONSTANTLY BELITTLED BY HANAN. 

Patty, just you watch how I deal with her!

Hand me something (really, anything, even smaller than a cummin seed, will do) to hold her in contempt against you.

You know, Pathaans love jumping on anyone, just anytime of the day, but we always need solids reasons for taking anyone to task. We are trying, but we haven't yet learnt the pre-emption technology being supplied to the world by its "American saviours".

Just anything, even smaller than a cummin seed, please!

Date Posted: 19 August 2006 at 2:14am

Patty, I have taken my coffee break to read your and Hanan's posts, over two fags instead my usual ration of one.

This Hanan character seems to come out with a heart of gold and a caramel tongue, in a scenario when you are trying to peddle an aticle from our Condi Rice's very own spin machine? I am not going to comment on your behaviour, I know, you take some very serious medication and, as a gentleman, I would give the benefit of my doubt to the effect of those pills.

But I was really ready to take her to task, just that you or your posts didn't support me.

Date Posted: 19 August 2006 at 7:06am

Actually, Whisper, the article I posted was given to me by a Muslim, candid....I didn't even know of a connection between it and C. Rice.  Candid felt it was an important article.  I have no idea in the world what "medication" you are talking about.  I have kidney failure, so I do take meds for that illness...is that wrong too?  Sorry for "peddling" the wrong article...again.

I believe I have seen and learned all I need from Islam.  Peace to all here who have been kind and understanding.  I don't deserve the treatment I have been given.  My words were never meant to be insulting, and you know that.  But those of you who dislike me for whatever reason(s) have accomplished your goal.  Herjihad, I really hope you can live with youself.  YOU  and I KNOW that you contacted me by email and told me many personal problems you were having.  I even told you I wished I could help you with money for gasoline.  Remember that??  We discussed many important issues which you had, and now you stab me in the back.  Allah DOES KNOW.  He knows the truth.  My conscience is clear.  How is your's?  Also, you must have a close tie to a moderator, as all the PMs you've sent me have mysteriously disappeared....but I DO have the emails you sent to me. As a lady, I will not be so rude as to expose them publically. 

God grant you all wisdom and kindness.

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 19 August 2006 at 12:33pm
Patty, are you there ....?

What a shame. Has she gone?

Just goes to show, you can't please all of the people all of the time.
She feels she's learned and seen all she needs. All she needs for
what? To call Muslims names, to think of Muslims as hate filled war
mongers? To see Islam is a divided belief system? What? I want to
know.

Patty had a big problem, she was just too sensitive, she seemed
incapable of taking a generalised comment as just that: a generalised
comment. She took it to heart, every time, and had to tell us how she
was not like this or that. That's just exhausting.

Somewhere, she said she was 'well read', and I wanted to find out
what that meant. Somewhere else, she and another regular poster on
this site agreed that any attempt at bringing people together to
discuss peace would automatically exclude Moslems, because she
and this other person agreed that Moslem's just don't know how to
have a discussion ....

Poor Patty. I feel she used her Roman Catholicism as a shield behind
which to hide rather than a place from which to engage and
understand others. She's been here for a long time, and been upset
by so many, only to then go whingeing about how it's not her fault.
She just couldn't handle Hanan finally confronting her with herself ....

Posted By: Cassandra
Date Posted: 19 August 2006 at 1:01pm

Duende:  Look at Patty's joining date.  Why would a Roman Catholic come anywhere near this site on that date, let alone join it so as to exchange ideas?  Please, I think you are being too harsh.  After so many years of turmoil and intercontinental pain and misjudging, Patty is still here, she has stayed when she could so easily have transferred her allegiance (and subsequuently her heartfelt friends) to a different Forum.  We tend to forget that: that tenacity in search of other perspectives.  We also, (especially those of us in Europe), tend to forget how indoctrinated and strong is that mindset.  (Patty forgive me.  Move away from the U.S. and you will begin to understahd what I am saying here.)  Don't let Patty's search down now, and of you, especially now, when perhaps it is most severely challenged.

You all posted, now put your support into action.

C

Posted By: superme
Date Posted: 20 August 2006 at 12:43am

There are so many discussion forums in the net and many of the members are the kind of "throw and dissappeared" posters. The forums are kept alive by the regular members who have developed friendly attachement with other members, be it the pros and the cons.

I did make a proposal not to ban a member or members who breach the guide lines but it should be enough with suspension. I proposed that for reason.

The posters are not the topic. If Patty is here to convert us the muslims - than she has failed.

She is an american therefore it is natural if she is defending america. It is an impossible task to be neutral completely. Concentrate on the posting is the best thing to do.

You saw it that it only take one posting to make Daniel Dowsky intent to leave, or maybe he left already. He is very neutral poster but we are insensitive toward sensitive people, for what?

So it is up to you though.

Posted By: Hanan
Date Posted: 20 August 2006 at 12:54am

During the short time that I�ve been here, I�ve come away with the impression that Patty has a need to be liked and agreed with. She NEVER admits to saying anything wrong and is quick to blame others. If she is put on the spot she tries to apply the weapon of guilt, and portrays herself as the victim. I suspect that she sees herself one league above us and we just haven�t realized her superiority yet.

I don�t want to go back to her posts, but rather take her most recent writing.

I have no idea in the world what "medication" you are talking about. I have kidney failure, so I do take meds for that illness...is that wrong too? Sorry for "peddling" the wrong article...again.

She knew exactly that Whisper was being sarcastic and kind enough to try and defuse the situation. She used the �medication� reference as a means to elicit pity by telling us that she has kidney failure, but also to make everyone back off. Who wants to be perceived as the villain who argued with an ill woman?

I believe I have seen and learned all I need from Islam.

She has learned nothing about Islam. All the discussions and dialogues only confirmed to her that her religion is the only true one. How can she be on this forum for 5 years and still speak the way she does. No one expected her to revert to Islam, but where in her posts did she show tolerance and understanding? Maybe it was before I came here, but I have never read anything but defensive or accusatory posts.

Peace to all here who have been kind and understanding.

Should be the majority of the members who have been here as long as she has.

I don't deserve the treatment I have been given.

� and now you must feel guilty, because I, Patty, am certainly not at fault.

My words were never meant to be insulting, and you know that.

� and now you must feel guilty for thinking that I insulted you!

Yes, to me, her words and her stubborn insistence to be right ARE insulting. And I resent the �and you know that,� because I DON�T know that, and you are not putting ME on a guilt trip, Patty.

But those of you who dislike me for whatever reason(s) have accomplished your goal.

Reasons unknown to her? Accomplished your goal? Sounds like paranoia.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the REAL Patty!

Herjihad, I really hope you can live with youself. YOU and I KNOW that you contacted me by email and told me many personal problems you were having. I even told you I wished I could help you with money for gasoline. Remember that?? We discussed many important issues which you had, and now you stab me in the back. Allah DOES KNOW. He knows the truth. My conscience is clear. How is your's? Also, you must have a close tie to a moderator, as all the PMs you've sent me have mysteriously disappeared....but I DO have the emails you sent to me. As a lady, I will not be so rude as to expose them publically.

A petty, whinny, vicious, narrow-minded blackmailer, lashing out at anything and everything.

HOW DARE YOU, PATTY! 

What makes you think that you are THAT important that not only your fellow forum members but also at least one moderator are out to destroy you? And what do you feel so guilty about?

When you exposed your true self with your insinuations and threats to blackmail Herjihad you forfeited the right to be believed and trusted.

And Patty, YOU ARE NOT A LADY.

God grant you all wisdom and kindness.

... and you, Inshallah!

Assalamu Aleikum

Duende, I�m glad to read your words of clarity, untainted with wishy-washiness.

I�ve only read Patty�s comments of the last month or so, and had tried to question her and also put her on the spot when she posted something outrageous, but she was always allowed to slip away.

Her latent dislike for Muslims was visible between almost every line she wrote, always cloaked in the shroud of world peace and Christian love. I believe that throughout the years she had hoped to make the Muslim members see their �evil ways,� and maybe catch us �in the act.� It is no coincidence that she joined IslamiCity 3 days after September 11, 2001.

I know that she has learned that Muslims are kind and good people just like some of the non-Muslims she knows. But how to reconcile the truth with the teachings and doctrines of her church? That is what made her stumble again and again.

I believe her when she says that she does good things for people less fortunate than herself. She needs to be needed.

Patty�s threat to leave is just that, a threat.

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 20 August 2006 at 12:13pm
Hanan:
>>Touche<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:29am
[QUOTE=Whisper]

My friend, first of all, I must say, you have one of the most unusual and poetic screen names. I am lost right now, not too sure if its Sanskirit or Bangla?

It is Hindu and means "most beautiful" which I am neither but I love the sound of it.  It sounds like it belongs to some dark skinned, dark haired beauty with eyes a man could drown in.  I'm none of those. Wish I were.   

-------------
I BELIEVE IN DIALOGUE - NOT WAR - AT ALL COST.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:58am

Hanan, you have no idea what you are talking about, You don't even know Patty!!  

You been here for 3 weeks and you can profess to KNOW Patty, please!

Your post is so misjudged. Blackmailer, you call Patty a blackmailer - wow   for saying that she will NOT make emails public, wow. You have really lost it.

Your post speaks so much hate than Patty has even done. I tell you what Patty hate is those muslims terrorist who make this world an unsafe place, yes you can start up with that the biggest terrorist is Bush/america but it is not going to change the fact that alot of terrorist are muslim they profess to be, (oh yes you can start up with that they are not muslims blah blah, I have heard it over and over the years, but you don't even care also that you own people are doing killings and oppression of muslims! Patty doesn't hate muslims! for god's sake she has them as friends where she lives for goodness sake! And it really troubles her when she comes here that she does not get the same treatment that of kindness,peace and understand and tolerance THAT MUSLIMS PROFESS TO BE, No all you can do, as well as Herijad and now Duende show and give the opposite, you have no clue what respect is especial of those who are different and with different views and opinons. 

Patty has done nothing in recents days but try and understand why you guys have been so horrible to her, she has tried to set the record straight but every time she tries, you end up putting her down adn you don't listen to her!

You blame her for things that are not her fault, she maybe an american but doesn't always agree with the government. You blame her for things that the government does, how does that help or help with tolerance of another people?

You think Patty hates muslims, you should re-read your post again about america! I can see very clearly that there is so much hate here for amercia AND americans even if you don't say it and despite what you guys say that you don't hate americans your posts speaks it. ALL posts are negative! how is it that suppose to try and get tolerance and respect?? YOU want respect, then show it, STOP telling others to give it to you, it does not work that way. 

I don't live in america and of course I dislike somethings but I am no way like you guys are, you have so much contempt I think you have lost your vision and islamic vision. WHat is happen of late is the worst I have seen it, I have been here for nearly 5 years and honestly the ignorance that is happening is running high, thru the roof. 

I think my islamic teachings that I have learnt has gone out the window!

Of all my years here Hanan, your post is the most vilest post about a member. I am shocked and disgusted.

Your attitude, along with Herjihad (who I actually liked and had respect for) and Duende now, is the worst I have encountered here!

It is very sad.

It amazes me that some people can have this attitude, and I wonder if they were face to face with the other person and said exactly the same thing? I wonder if the courage would be there? but since being behind a screen and no one see you, I think some people find it easier to attack than they would face to face! sad!

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:48am
Hanan, I agree with you.

What's the official term for Patty's behaviour? Is it passive/
aggressive?

Cassandra, you're too nice. But it's not up to me to put a stop to
Patty's search. She declared she had seen and heard enough about
Islam, and I think that is a terrible shame. I agree with Hanan's
assessment: she came here with a mind set she was/is unnable to
alter, and no amount of professed love for fellow man can overcome
an innability to alter one's 'internal narrative'.

Patty recently lost her father, which is a dramatic experience it takes
some people years to overcome. Her state of mind and emotional
health is altered right now.. She is not really 'herself' and being the
kind of emotional dependent she seems to be, discussing emotive
subjects on this forum is not a good place for her right now.

Angel, I think the degree of passions we're witnessing here on the
forum is just a reflection of the state of things world wide: coming to
a head, is the expression. We are in the process, as we say in Spain,
of removing our masks.

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:03am
Man! I love this place.

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:15am

Assalamu alaikum,

I also agree with what Hanan has said.  Finally the Muslims are not mincing words in order to please the others.........it isn't a matter of manners nor of civility, it is our lives that are spinning out of all reason - time to put both feet on the ground.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:30am
Maybe everyone is being a little judgemental.   The whole world is spinning out of control.  Not just Muslims lives but everyones life and world.  We are our own undoing. 

-------------
I BELIEVE IN DIALOGUE - NOT WAR - AT ALL COST.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Duende Duende wrote:

What's the official term for Patty's behaviour? Is it passive/
aggressive?

yeah and hanan's behaviour is agressive/aggressive.

Quote Cassandra, you're too nice. But it's not up to me to put a stop to
Patty's search. She declared she had seen and heard enough about
Islam, and I think that is a terrible shame. I agree with Hanan's
assessment: she came here with a mind set she was/is unnable to
alter, and no amount of professed love for fellow man can overcome
an innability to alter one's 'internal narrative'.

yes it is a terrible shame and the muslim community (some) has itself to blame for the attitude of non-muslims.

If Patty had a mind set in the beginning she would not have been here for 5 years, she would have continued being here and keep learning and interacting with muslims but the excessive personal insults thrown has made it impossible.

yes a terrible shame  

Quote Angel, I think the degree of passions we're witnessing here on the
forum is just a reflection of the state of things world wide: coming to
a head, is the expression. We are in the process, as we say in Spain,
of removing our masks.

Is that what you call it?.

Believe me, after witnessing many outburst like this, its got nothing to do with the state of the world.  

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 1:27pm
Assalaamualaikum

We are forced to close this topic due to violation of these guidelines:

3. A generally pleasant demeanor and cordiality in language is requested during discussions. 

15. We will not tolerate personal attacks on participants from ANY Community (personal attacks are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion).

This thread has derailed and has turned into nothing but exchange of insults. We are mature adults and should refrain from such behaviour. Any member who breaks the guidelines repeatedly, will be banned.  All of us should follow the guidelines.

Peace to you all.

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net