URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12135
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 8:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fasting (saum) Mistake
Posted By: Minah2
Subject: Fasting (saum) Mistake
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:47pm

Asalamu Alaikum

I feel badly about breaking my fast before Maghrib.  Every Monday and Thursday, My husband and I fast, well today after I awoke from my nap I ate a sandwich, breaking my fast too soon.  I was fully aware that I was breaking my fast, it was not a mistake.  Now I am feeling ashamed of myself.  During Asar prayer I made an addtional two rak'as.  Insha-Allah, Allah will forgive me. What else should I do.

Jazak-Allah

-------------
peace and blessing

Replies:
Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:06am

Asalam Alaikum,

Welcome to the Forum Minah.

I don't have specific suggestions. From what I understand this fast is recommended but not obligatory. I may be incorrect... but maybe you can fast another day...

You did ask Allah's forgiveness. And Allah is most merciful..

I am sure someome more knowledgeable will have suggestions.

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.

Hayfa

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Posted By: Knowledge01
Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Minah2 Minah2 wrote:

Asalamu Alaikum

I feel badly about breaking my fast before Maghrib.  Every Monday and Thursday, My husband and I fast, well today after I awoke from my nap I ate a sandwich, breaking my fast too soon.  I was fully aware that I was breaking my fast, it was not a mistake.  Now I am feeling ashamed of myself.  During Asar prayer I made an addtional two rak'as.  Insha-Allah, Allah will forgive me. What else should I do.

Jazak-Allah

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

There is no sin on you for breaking a nafil fast and you do not have to make it up, unless the fast was because of an oath (you swore to fast because of something specific).  Below are some relevant ahadith.

Muslim (1154) narrated that �Aa�ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon me one day and said: �Do you have anything (any food)?� We said, �No.� He said, �Then I am fasting.� Then he came to us another day and we said, �O Messenger of Allaah, we have been given some hays (a kind of food made from dates and ghee).� He said, �Show it to me, for I started the day fasting.� Then he ate.

Ahmad (26353) narrated from Umm Haani� that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon her and called for something to drink, and drank some, then he passed it to her and she drank some. She said: �O Messenger of Allaah, I was fasting.� The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �The one who is observing a voluntary fast is his own master; if he wishes he may (continue to) fast and if he wishes he may break his fast.� Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami�, 3854.

al-Bayhaqi narrated that Abu Sa�eed al-Khudri said: Some food was made for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and when it was served a man said: �I am fasting.� The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Your brother has invited you and make this effort for you. Break your fast and make it up later if you wish.� Al-Haafiz said: Its isnaad is hasan.

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 03 September 2008 at 10:35am
Assalamu alaikum,

Fasting Monday and Thursday are sunnah (recomended) not obligatory. So there is no sin to break it.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: Zaharah
Date Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:10pm

Salams Minah2,

Allah is a forgiving God.

Zaharah

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net