Print Page | Close Window

Why do Muslims

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11703
Printed Date: 25 April 2024 at 10:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why do Muslims
Posted By: believer
Subject: Why do Muslims
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:14pm

follow hadith when the Quran is supposed to be complete?

Is it possible that Mohammad was not finnished when he died?

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Replies:
Posted By: seif the truth
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 1:22am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Quran is more than enough. we as human part of our job is to be reminder so the hadith has more detials about Mohamed PBUH, it tells you what and how he did things, so you remember and do the same

now the quran tells you to pray but you find how to pray in Quran because allah thought mohamed how.

simple answer for you is this

if you follow quran one of the things Quran ask you to do it to follow Mohamed and all Prophets , so hadith will be good for you to  Follow the Prophet

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 2:06am
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

The Quran instructs us to do many things one major thing is to follow the advice of the prophet.

So if you follow the quran then follow what it says and that is to follow the sunnah.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: Ron Webb
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 10:28am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

The Quran instructs us to do many things one major thing is to follow the advice of the prophet.

Is the prophet omniscient and infallible?  The advice that he gave to his followers in Arabia 1400 years ago may have been wise and good for that time and place, but the world has changed dramatically.  How could he have known what would be wise and good for a Muslim living today?

Surely only Allah is perfect, and only His advice (i.e., the Quran) is timeless.  It seems to me that by treating the words of the prophet as equal to those of Allah Himself you risk making the prophet into another god.

Posted By: layalee
Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

The advice that he gave to his followers in Arabia 1400 years ago may have been wise and good for that time and place, but the world has changed dramatically.  How could he have known what would be wise and good for a Muslim living today?

Welcome to the IC forum. ( I saw your introduction message a couple days ago).

What dramatic changes would you say has took place in the world that the messages that the Prophet Mohammed (p.b.u.h) provides may not be of suffient guidance for the 'ways' of today?

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by layalee layalee wrote:

What dramatic changes would you say has took place in the world that the messages that the Prophet Mohammed (p.b.u.h) provides may not be of suffient guidance for the 'ways' of today?

What a question!  What changes have there been in 1400 years?  Organ transplants, air travel, nuclear weapons, contraception, indoor plumbing, computers, global warming, the printing press, antibiotics, cloning, ... I could go on and on.  And that's just the technology.  There have been huge changes in society, in geography (a whole new continent!), world politics, economics, etc.  The problems we face today, and the solutions available, are nothing like the ones that Mohammed faced.

Just one example: I've been reading the discussion of "Beards" with great interest and amusement.  Such a lot of fuss over something so trivial!  Who could possibly believe that Allah would care one way or another whether a man has a beard or not?  And if He did care, why would he not have said so in the Quran, which is supposedly complete and perfect?

Certainly, Mohammed urged his followers to grow their beards.  Why?  Maybe he just liked beards, I don't know.  Or maybe, as I think I read somewhere, he may have done so to distinguish his followers from a rival religion where the men were clean-shaven, so it may have made sense at the time.  But I'm willing to bet that that rival religion, whatever it was, is now long-gone; and in any case, the other major group that I think of with long beards is Orthodox Judaism!  So does it still make sense?

Date Posted: 03 February 2008 at 7:19pm

Is the prophet omniscient and infallible?

No but Allah is and in his Omniscient and infallible ways said follow the advice of the prophet. He also said in his infallible and perfect Quran the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] does not speak from his own desire but only what he has been instructed to speak.

If you dont know how to apply his advice and law in todays society that is your limitation due to your lack of knowledge,
try looking into Islamic law as apposed to simply thinking you can open the Quran and presto you have a legal ruling and you will have all your answers.

You make far to many assumptions for your arguments to hold water, the main hole in your argument is that everything he said is literal and only applies to the person he said it to in his exact circumstance.

Is praying now different from how it was back then, is fasting, hajj, divorce, inheritance, theft, murder, human nature!....the fact is all your examples are of new things that have come up not things that somehow change what he did speak about so you can say he didn't speak about "
Organ transplants, air travel, nuclear weapons, contraception, indoor plumbing, computers, global warming, the printing press, antibiotics, cloning" but what he did speak about hasn't changed.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:36pm

No but Allah is and in his Omniscient and infallible ways said follow the advice of the prophet. He also said in his infallible and perfect Quran the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] does not speak from his own desire but only what he has been instructed to speak.

But surely this refers only to his recitation of the Quran!  The entire Sura (53) is about the divine revelation of the Quran, isn't it?

Quote Is praying now different from how it was back then, is fasting, hajj, divorce, inheritance, theft, murder, human nature!

I would say yes, most of those things are indeed different.  The new things I listed are not just new in themselves - they also affect the older things that the Prophet spoke about.  I am not a Muslim and don't know in detail what the Prophet said, so it is difficult for me to give you a specific example, but I will try.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Prophet encouraged large families.  That may have made sense fourteen centuries ago because infant mortality was extremely high, the global population was small and resources were plentiful.  But now babies almost always live to adulthood, life expectancy has doubled or tripled, the planet has almost reached its capacity and resources are becoming scarce.  If the Prophet were alive today, do you think he would still be encouraging large families?  Why?

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:54pm

I am not a Muslim

thank you for clarifying that, saves me time in assuming we agree on core beliefs like the Quran is from Allah etc.

But surely this refers only to his recitation of the Quran!

The Quran is only known through the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] it didnt comedown as a book whole, so no once you believe that he is a prophet and the Quran is from Allah then the Quran is very clear on who you should follow and take advice from and what authority the prophet had. The verses are numerous and very clear about this.

The entire Sura (53) is about the divine revelation of the Quran, isn't it?

Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.

This essentially is allahs assurance that he guides man through the prophets teachings [sunnah] and that this guidance has divine qualities similar to the Quran since essentially it is from the same source.

the very next verse is clear on this

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:

i.e the Quran and its teachings [Sunnah: meanings, understanding, wisdom]

Here are three different translations of the same verse so you can better understand what allah is saying about him,

YUSUFALI: Endued with Wisdom: for he appeared (in stately form);
PICKTHAL: One vigorous; and he grew clear to view
SHAKIR: The Lord of Strength; so he attained completion.

He was taught by one Mighty in Power,

which goes back to the original point that not only was he given the words of the quran but made to understand its deep knowledge which he shared with us. That knowledge of the quran came from Allah, the prophet does not have to be Omniscient only the one who is teaching him and he certainly knows of all matters and considered them when teaching him, so unless you want to argue that the Quran itself is no longer relevant you can not argue the knowledge that Allah gave to his prophet OF the Quran is not relevant.

I would say yes, most of those things are indeed different.

I would say then you dont know anything about these matters, you may like to consider the maliki madhhab and there use of the actions of the people of madina as a source for legal rullings. Read Imam Maliks Muwattah it is a treatise on islamic law based on there actions, so no nothing has changed at all.

they also affect the older things that the Prophet spoke about.  I am not a Muslim and don't know in detail what the Prophet said, so it is difficult for me to give you a specific example, but I will try.

This tells me you are simply debating for the sake of debating since you clearly admit you know little of what he said then you can not have an informed opinion on anything we are discussing. simply because you "feel" a certain way this does not validate your views.

It is also pointless to now go and look for evidence to proove your point since you would essentially be manipulating information to fit into your perspective rather than neutrally and impartially investigating and coming to an unbiased conclusion.

Your limitation is that you know very little about how law in general is derived and Islamic law to be more specific.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Prophet encouraged large families.  That may have made sense fourteen centuries ago because infant mortality was extremely high,

You are wrongly assuming his intension behind the advice, basically you  are assuming the reasons based on your cultural upbringing and experiences which are only specific to you and don't apply to men who certainly lived 1400 years ago a fact which would make it impossible to assume the intentions of others in any way that is logical to us in our time. This fact is also why studying the arabic language as it was understood and spoken 1400 years ago is essential to understanding the Quran and mindset of the people of the time.

He encouraged large families because he loved Allah and loved to see an increase in the people who worshiped him, this was his clearly stated intention it had nothing to do with population growth.

the planet has almost reached its capacity and resources are becoming scarce.  If the Prophet were alive today, do you think he would still be encouraging large families?  Why?

Put aside the fact that what you mentioned wasn't about population growth, if he was alive today and based on things he has said regarding abortion then yes he would still encourage people to have children. Resources are not scarce its only that the western countries in a day consume what the rest of the world could live on for a year.

If people lived by the islamic ideals regarding consumption and the environment then yes we could certainly survive with even larger populations than we see today.

this example you gave does not change much regarding islamic teachings you seem to have an underlaying belief in you arguments that religions are no longer relevant, Islam did not suffer the same fate as the other religions and this is from a historical point of view.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:40pm
Thank you brother (Rami) for providing your post.

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 6:11am

Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.

This essentially is allahs assurance that he guides man through the prophets teachings [sunnah] and that this guidance has divine qualities similar to the Quran since essentially it is from the same source.

the very next verse is clear on this

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:

i.e the Quran and its teachings [Sunnah: meanings, understanding, wisdom]

If 53.4 refers to the Quran (Allah's teachings), and if (as I understand it, and I don't think you denied it) the entire Sura discusses the revelation of the Quran, why would you assume that 53.3 refers to the Prophet's teachings?

I understand that Mohammed was a great and wise man, that he was directly instructed by Allah Himself, and so on; but he is still just a man, and the Quran is still complete and perfect.  As you would know better than I, the Quran says over and over again that there is nothing omitted, that no one (not even the Prophet) can add to it or change it.  If the Prophet's teachings are different from the Quran, or omitted from it, then clearly the Quran itself tells us that we should disregard them; and if they are the same, then why do we need them at all?

The reason I care about this matter as a non-Muslim is that I can easily defend the Quran, but frankly I cannot defend the hadith.  I don't wish to offend so I won't say any more, but I think you know what I mean.

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:04am

and if (as I understand it, and I don't think you denied it) the entire Sura discusses the revelation of the Quran, why would you assume that 53.3 refers to the Prophet's teachings?

The first half of the surah is not about the revelation of the Quran, actually its about the knowledge of the prophet and his superiority in character which goes hand in hand with his knowledge, knowledge that is other than the Quran.

053.010 So did (God) convey the inspiration to His Servant- (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.

this is not talking about revelation itself [i.e the quran] but actual understanding of different kinds of knowledge that was being given to him. The Quran was revealed to him over a 23 year period while he was on earth. the Quran is not like the bible which is the equivalent of Hadith [i.e inspired guidance] but the literal Words of Allah can you see the difference?

53.011 The (Prophet's) (mind and) heart in no way falsified that which he saw. understand this verse with 53.003 Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire. and you will see why his teachings had a similar Eternal Quality to the Quran.

053.017 (His) sight never swerved, nor did it go wrong!, again understand this verse with 053.003 Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.

053.018 For truly did he see, of the Signs of his Lord, the Greatest!

The signs of his lord in no way is referring to the Quran but an understanding of divine matters which in them selfs have an eternal timeless quality.

that he was directly instructed by Allah Himself, and so on; but he is still just a man, and the Quran is still complete and perfect.

He was a man but the advice he gave was not from himself but from allah "
Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire." Allah clearly says this!!

It isnt something you can deny, You seem to think knowledge is from man, knowledge itself is eternal and from Allah if something was THE TRUTH 1400 years ago it remains the truth 1400 years latter the truth does not change otherwise it would not be Truth to begin with. You are oversimplifying this becouse once you actually read the ahadith and the tafsir and see the knowledge that came from it over the years you can not argue that it is no longer relavant.

Your arguments are nothing but theory, we have 1400 years of Islamic civilisation to prove that his teaching where relevant long after his time.

As you would know better than I, the Quran says over and over again that there is nothing omitted,

it doesn't say that anywhere in the Quran, you have misunderstood something i believe.

that no one (not even the Prophet) can add to it or change it.

I cant see how you can look at the Quran as a book in and of itself, each verse was revealed to answer real life situations the prophet or his companions found them selfs in so the life experiences of the prophet and the Quran are inseparable. As no one ever claimed it was added to i dont see the relevance of this point.

If the Prophet's teachings are different from the Quran

There not, so your argument falls apart there, he explained the Quran and what it meant and as his wife Aisha said he was a walking Quran.

then clearly the Quran itself tells us that we should disregard them

really where does it say that?

and if they are the same, then why do we need them at all?

who claimed they where word for word the same, do you know what it was he taught, what reasonable ground do you have for even makeing this asumption.

The reason I care about this matter as a non-Muslim is that I can easily defend the Quran, but frankly I cannot defend the hadith. 

Why is that, the Quran and ahadith came to us via the exact same sources neither of which are in doubt. I cant understand how a person can say the Quran is fine, but the teachings of the man it was revealed to are not. Since you cant prove what he said was not from allah and as allah himself attests to his knowledge in the Quran you have no basis for anything you are saying.

I don't wish to offend so I won't say any more, but I think you know what I mean.

Actually i dont, can you please research the material you wish to discuss at this point this is nothing but a debate with very ill informed arguments being presented.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 10:09am

Ronn Webb-

Do you not understand why there is a need for hadiths? Do you not understand why Muslims should follow the Sunnah? Or have you come to terms in believing they are not needed because the Quran is perfect?

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 4:45pm

and if (as I understand it, and I don't think you denied it) the entire Sura discusses the revelation of the Quran, why would you assume that 53.3 refers to the Prophet's teachings?

The first half of the surah is not about the revelation of the Quran, actually its about the knowledge of the prophet and his superiority in character which goes hand in hand with his knowledge, knowledge that is other than the Quran.

Well, it seems pretty obvious to me that Sura 53 is about the Quran.  I have the Yusuf Ali translation, and his introductory remarks for this Sura begin: "The particular theme of this Sura is that Revelation is not an illusion...".  Unless there is some other revelation I don't know about, then that means the Quran.  But whatever.

Quote 053.010 So did (God) convey the inspiration to His Servant- (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.

this is not talking about revelation itself [i.e the quran] but actual understanding of different kinds of knowledge that was being given to him. The Quran was revealed to him over a 23 year period while he was on earth. the Quran is not like the bible which is the equivalent of Hadith [i.e inspired guidance] but the literal Words of Allah can you see the difference?

Indeed I can see the difference, and that difference is why I believe that only the Quran would be completely trustworthy.  If the Bible is the equivalent of Hadith (which I agree), why would the Hadith have any more credibility than the Bible?

Quote As you would know better than I, the Quran says over and over again that there is nothing omitted,

it doesn't say that anywhere in the Quran, you have misunderstood something i believe.

Sura 6:38 -- "There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have we omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end."

Quote The reason I care about this matter as a non-Muslim is that I can easily defend the Quran, but frankly I cannot defend the hadith. 

Why is that, the Quran and ahadith came to us via the exact same sources neither of which are in doubt.
I cant understand how a person can say the Quran is fine, but the teachings of the man it was revealed to are not.

The source of the Quran is Allah.  The source of the hadith is Mohammed. And I can't understand how you can equate the words of a man -- any man, no matter how wise or who his teacher -- with the words of Allah.  But I suppose we will never understand each other.

Quote I don't wish to offend so I won't say any more, but I think you know what I mean.

Actually i dont, can you please research the material you wish to discuss at this point this is nothing but a debate with very ill informed arguments being presented.

At this point I see no point in discussing the content of a book whose authenticity I still doubt.  It would only create animosity, which is not my purpose here.

As for why I cannot defend the hadith, you could go to any of a hundred anti-Islamic sites to find out about that.  I won't link to them here but I'm sure Google can find them for you.

As-Salamu Alaykum.

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 4:58pm

Do you not understand why there is a need for hadiths? Do you not understand why Muslims should follow the Sunnah? Or have you come to terms in believing they are not needed because the Quran is perfect?

Well, bearing in mind that I am not a Muslim, those questions are too hypothetical for me to answer directly; but if I were a Muslim, I probably would not believe that the hadith are needed.  More than that, I believe they are harmful because they keep Islam in the Dark Ages.  The Quran was meant to be timeless, while Mohammed spoke from the point of view of the 7th century.  Unlike rami, I believe that a whole lot has changed since then.

Date Posted: 05 February 2008 at 9:08pm

Well, it seems pretty obvious to me that Sura 53 is about the Quran.  I have the Yusuf Ali translation, and his introductory remarks for this Sura begin: "The particular theme of this Sura is that Revelation is not an illusion...".  Unless there is some other revelation I don't know about, then that means the Quran.  But whatever.

You unequivocally state that the surah in its entirety is about revelation, you dont have to go further than the second half of this chapter to see that it talks about things other than revelation i.e Lat and Uzza the two main Idols of the arabs. Yusuf Ali besides not being an authority [scholar] on Tafsir [Quranic exegesis] did not mean the entire surah is literally about revelation he said it's "theme"  meaning you can tie back the main points of the surah to revelation but that is not the only thing this chapter discusses. Yusuf Ali is talking about the deep undertones not what you can read on the surface and as i stated the literal subject matter changes from what you perceive to be revelation to something else.

The first half of this chapter is talking about the night journey that the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] took [Isra wal Miraj in arabic] this journey showed the superiority in character of the prophet to other humans. You can not perfect yourself morally without having deep insight and knowledge into matters so when Allah said "he approached a distance of two bows length [a statement not taken literally] it not only denotes his closeness to Allah but the depth of his knowledge above other men including other prophets.
http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=53&tid=50850 -
http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=53&tid=50850

the above site is the translated exegesis of Ibn kathir one of Islams foremost experts on the Quran, his particular exegesis concentrates on why each verse was revealed to mankind, here are some quotes regarding this chapter.

""(Your companion has neither gone astray nor has erred.) This contains the subject of the oath. This part of the Ayah is the witness that the Messenger of Allah is sane and a follower of Truth. He is neither led astray, such as in the case of the ignorant who does not proceed on any path with knowledge, nor is he one who erred, such as in the case of the knowledgeable, who knows the Truth, yet deviates from it intentionally to something else. Therefore, Allah exonerated His Messenger and his Message from being similar to the misguided ways of the Christians and the erroneous paths of the Jews, such as knowing the Truth and hiding it, while abiding by falsehood. Rather, he, may Allah's peace and blessings be on him, and his glorious Message that Allah has sent him with, are on the perfect straight path, following guidance and what is correct.""

(Nor does he speak of desire), asserting that nothing the Prophet utters is of his own desire or wish,

(It is only a revelation revealed.), means, he only conveys to the people what he was commanded to convey, in its entirety without additions or deletions. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Umamah said that he heard the Messenger of Allah say,

(Verily..... Rabi`ah and Mudar, will enter Paradise on account of the intercession of one man, who is not a Prophet.) A man asked, "O Allah's Messenger! Is not Rabi`ah a subtribe of Mudar.'' The Prophet said, (I said what I said.)

Imam Ahmad recorded that `Abdullah bin `Amr said, "I used to record everything I heard from the Messenger of Allah so it would be preserved. The Quraysh discouraged me from this, saying, `You record everything you hear from the Messenger of Allah , even though he is human and sometimes speaks when he is angry' I stopped recording the Hadiths for a while, but later mentioned what they said to the Messenger of Allah , who said,

(Write! By He in Whose Hand is my soul, every word that comes out of me is the Truth.)'' Abu Dawud also collected this Hadith........""Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.""

Indeed I can see the difference, and that difference is why I believe that only the Quran would be completely trustworthy.  If the Bible is the equivalent of Hadith (which I agree), why would the Hadith have any more credibility than the Bible?

I wasnt referring to authenticity, i was referring to how each was perceived by its followers, the Bible is not the Literal words of God it is understood to be inspired guidance. If you do want to discuss the authenticity of ahadith then here to you will come up against a brick wall.

Sura 6:38 -- "There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have we omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end."

here are three different translations of the same verse,

YUSUFALI: There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have we omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end.
PICKTHAL: There is not an animal in the earth, nor a flying creature flying on two wings, but they are peoples like unto you. We have neglected nothing in the Book (of Our decrees). Then unto their Lord they will be gathered.
SHAKIR: And there is no animal that walks upon the earth nor a bird that flies with its two wings but (they are) genera like yourselves; We have not neglected anything in the Book, then to their Lord shall they be gathered.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/006.qmt.html - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/006.qmt.html

The word neglect gives a less literal and unrealistic translation of the verse, no muslim has ever said the Quran literally speaks about every single matter specifically. You can interpret that verse to mean that in the deep understanding of the Quran and its verses you will find answers to your questions.

The source of the Quran is Allah.  The source of the hadith is Mohammed.

The source of the knowledge in the hadith is Allah, how good or accurate was the prophet at explaining the Quran and conveying its wisdom.....well the very chapter you quote unequivocally answers that.

YUSUFALI: Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled.
YUSUFALI: Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.
YUSUFALI: It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:
YUSUFALI: He was taught by one Mighty in Power,
YUSUFALI: Endued with Wisdom: for he appeared (in stately form);
PICKTHAL: One vigorous; and he grew clear to view
SHAKIR: The Lord of Strength; so he attained completion,
YUSUFALI: While he was in the highest part of the horizon:

YUSUFALI: Then he approached and came closer,

YUSUFALI: And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or (even) nearer;
YUSUFALI: So did (Allah) convey the inspiration to His Servant- (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.
YUSUFALI: The (Prophet's) (mind and) heart in no way falsified that which he saw.
YUSUFALI: Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he saw?.....
YUSUFALI: (His) sight never swerved, nor did it go wrong!
YUSUFALI: For truly did he see, of the Signs of his Lord, the Greatest!

And I can't understand how you can equate the words of a man -- any man, no matter how wise or who his teacher -- with the words of Allah.  But I suppose we will never understand each other.

He was a prophet not an ordinary man like you or me, and certainly not a prophet in the same sense as christians perceive prophets, we may use the same words but he was nothing like how the prophets are portrayed in the bible. I dont equate him with allah but knowledge itself which has only one source and that is Allah, Allah himself attests to the truthfulness and accurateness of his prophet.

You are holding onto preconceived notions and refusing to correct them.

As for why I cannot defend the hadith, you could go to any of a hundred anti-Islamic sites to find out about that.  I won't link to them here but I'm sure Google can find them for you.

i have seen these sites before they are very inaccurate, do you think it is reasonable to go to people with an agenda against islam and ask to learn about Islam.

If you dont mind visit this site and click on Hadith,

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/index.html - http://www.islamic-awareness.org/index.html

it corrects much of the misinformation that is out there, this is what Muslims believe and practice there is no point coming to a site and dictating to us what you think we believe.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 February 2008 at 7:52pm

The source of the Quran is Allah.  The source of the hadith is Mohammed.

The source of the knowledge in the hadith is Allah, how good or accurate was the prophet at explaining the Quran and conveying its wisdom.....well the very chapter you quote unequivocally answers that.

I don't disagree that he would have been accurate in explaining the Quran and conveying its wisdom within the context of the seventh century.  My questions were whether he was infallible when he went beyond the Quran, and whether his interpretation of the Quran could have taken into account the different circumstances in which we live today.  If I understand you correctly, your answers are that he was indeed infallible, and that nothing significant has changed in fourteen centuries.  I find that surprising and I don't see it in the Quran, but I guess we'll have to leave it at that.

Quote i have seen these sites before they are very inaccurate, do you think it is reasonable to go to people with an agenda against islam and ask to learn about Islam.

Reasonable?  I think it's absolutely essential that you, or someone like you, start "defending the faith" on mainstream Internet discussion forums -- not with hostility, but with clear explanations and reasoned argument.  If I could convince you of only one thing, I wish it could be that.

I do what I can, but I'm obviously unqualified for the job.  Please reread my introductory message and consider it seriously.  Don't you think it's time for an "Internet Jihad"?

Posted By: Nur_Ilahi
Date Posted: 06 February 2008 at 8:15pm

Hi Ron,

To understand the Indispensibility of a hadith, here is the link.
http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=232 - http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=232

Muhammad was sent not only as a physical guide but also as a spiritual guide. A Mercy for the whole of creation.

"The beginning of existence was an act of mercy and compassion. Without mercy the universe would be in chaos. Everything has come into existence through compassion and by compassion it continues to exist in harmony.

Muslim sages say: �The universe is the breath of the All-Compassionate One�. That is, the universe was created as a manifestation of God�s Name, the All-Compassionate. Its subsistence depends on the same Name. This Name manifests itself, first of all, as the All-Provider so as to secure the subsistence or survival of living creatures through food or nourishment. Besides, life is the foremost and most manifest blessing of God Almighty, and the true and everlasting life is the life of the Hereafter. Since man can deserve this life by acting in a way to please God, God sent Prophets and revealed Scriptures out of His compassion for mankind. For this reason, while mentioning His blessings upon mankind in the sura al-Rahman (the All-Merciful) in the Qur�an, He begins:

Al-Rahman (the All-Merciful). He taught the Qur�an. He created man. He taught him speech. (al-Rahman, 55.1-4)

All aspects of this life are a rehearsal for the afterlife and every creature is engaged in action to this end. In every effort order is evident and in every achievement compassion resides. Some �natural� events or social convulsions in the human order which seem to man disagreeable at first sight should not be regarded as incompatible with compassion. They are like dark clouds or lightning and thunder, which, although frightening for man, bring us good tidings of rain. Thus, the whole universe, from minutest particles to gigantic galaxies, sings the praises of the All-Compassionate.

The universe is, in the language of Muslim sages, God�s �created book� issued from His Attribute of Will. To write a book which no one could understand would be an exertion in vain and God is absolutely beyond such futility. So, He created Muhammad, upon him be peace and blessings, one who would instruct people in the meaning of the universe. Second, He taught man His Commandments through Muhammad in the Qur�an. Only by acting in accordance with these Commandments can man gain an eternal life of happiness. The Qur�an is the ultimate and most comprehensive form of Divine Revelation, Islam is the last, perfected and universal form of Divine Religions, and the Prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace and blessings, is the embodiment of Divine Compassion, one whom God sent not save as a mercy for all the worlds.

The Prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace and blessings, is like a spring of pure water in the heart of a desert, or like a source of light in the darkness enveloping the universe. Whoever appeals to this spring can take as much water as to quench his thirst and is purified of all his dirt or pollution, spiritual or intellectual, and illumined with the light of belief.

Mercy was alike a magical key in the hands of God�s Messenger, upon him be peace and blessings. He opened with this key the doors of the hearts so hardened and rusty as one thought it was impossible to open them, and lighted a torch of belief in them.

http://islambyquestions.net/moreAbout/Mercy.htm - http://islambyquestions.net/moreAbout/Mercy.htm

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Posted By: Andalus
Date Posted: 06 February 2008 at 8:52pm

Your question is a complex question (a fallacy) as it implies disparity where it does not exist. Just as the Torah was never meant to be interpreted without the oral tradition, the Quran is a part of two distinct revelations that are tied together. The Quran is a part of the "recited" revelation. This is the direct words of God, literally the speech of God. Not inspired words, or special words, but the actual speech of God.

The hadith consist of narratives, some of which particularize generalizations in the Quran, explain meanings, and clarify the application of rulings. The hadith consist of "unrecited" revelation, not a part of the quran, given that the Quran is only the "recited" revelation, or better yet, the actual literal "speech of God".

The fact that hadith were complied before his death, and that the Quran was complete before the death of the prophet (saw), the notion that one is evidence that the other was not completed is absurd and not plausible.

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/

Date Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:02pm

Islam teaches that only God is truly omniscient. Infallible in what way?

The advice that he gave to his followers in Arabia 1400 years ago may have been wise and good for that time and place, but the world has changed dramatically.  How could he have known what would be wise and good for a Muslim living today?

What exactly is not relevant 1400 years later?

Surely only Allah is perfect, and only His advice (i.e., the Quran) is timeless.  It seems to me that by treating the words of the prophet as equal to those of Allah Himself you risk making the prophet into another god.

The Quran states in multiple passages to obey Allah and His Messenger (saw). Could you point out an example where something the Prophet (saw) ordered or explained was contrary to what God would teach?

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah

Date Posted: 07 February 2008 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Omniscient in the sense that the Prophet's rulings in the seventh century could take into account the circumstances in which we live today.  Infallible in the sense that he never made a mistake in his entire life.

Quote What exactly is not relevant 1400 years later?

I replied to rami as follows: "I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Prophet encouraged large families.  That may have made sense fourteen centuries ago because infant mortality was extremely high, the global population was small and resources were plentiful.  But now babies almost always live to adulthood, life expectancy has doubled or tripled, the planet has almost reached its capacity and resources are becoming scarce.  If the Prophet were alive today, do you think he would still be encouraging large families?  Why?"

rami's response was (among other things) that the planet is capable of supporting still more people and resources would not be scarce if we conserved them better.  I disagree -- I think the planet is already overpopulated -- but even if he's right, it should be obvious that at some point we will have too many people on this planet and it will be necessary to limit family size.  Policies that encourage population growth indefinitely are not sustainable.

Quote The Quran states in multiple passages to obey Allah and His Messenger (saw).

Yes, the Quran did say to obey the Prophet, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) is dead.  To blindly continue following his orders 1400 years later is like nailing the rudder of a ship in its last position after the captain dies.  The river continues to twist and turn, the currents run this way and that, but Islam sails on blindly into ever more treacherous waters.  It was great to have the Prophet at the helm in the beginning, but now that he is gone we need to find our own way, and the Quran (which is complete and explained in detail) ought to be sufficient guide.

Quote Could you point out an example where something the Prophet (saw) ordered or explained was contrary to what God would teach?

As I said, I don't know much about the content of the hadith, but I already know from the Quran that the Prophet is capable of error because the Quran tells us in Sura 80 that he wrongly ignored a blind man who came to him for instruction.

Date Posted: 07 February 2008 at 7:39am

I do what I can, but I'm obviously unqualified for the job. Please reread my introductory message and consider it seriously. Don't you think it's time for an "Internet Jihad"?

Part of your introduction-

But it occurs to me that the critics have a point. Muslim organizations are quick to issue press releases (which are just as quickly ignored) -- but where are the moderate Muslims themselves? Why is it that I have almost never encountered individual Muslims on mainstream discussion boards, defending their own religion?

Al-Baqarah:6

2:6) Those-who have disbelieved- it being equal to them whether thou warn them or warn them not -they will not believe.

There are several types of non- muslims individuals that visit and particpate in forums-- here are just the main ones I run across( even though their are others)

a) Non-muslims that will take verses from the Quran or Islamic concepts and twist it around so that they are negative, mean, and totally contradicts the love and wisdom that Allah(swt) has for us and the wonderful message that Mohhammed(p.b.u.h) provides to others.

There actions are mainly done out of ignorance. So, to cover up their ignorance instead of just admiting 'they do not know' or admit 'I just don't understand', they will instead bash and throw out negative comments. It is more satisfying to their ego to simply hate what they can not understand. No matter how much a muslim or even a non-muslim like the one you claim to be, try to show them that Islam is for peace, that Islam is loving, that muslims do (or should) believe in the Unity of God- it will never reach them, they are too caught up in hate and having a closed heart and mind.

b) You have non-muslims that are not 'believers' but they are open to sincerely knowing more about Islam, perhaps it is a individual that grew up mostly in a society that had few muslim citizens. Their reasons for particpating in a forum is to maybe see what misconceptions of Islam are true, and which ones are not true( at least in their eyes). Some of these individuals like to 'compare' their beliefs with Islam- for various reasons. While sometimes such individuals show signs of ignorance based on comments they make, their intentions are not to be hurtful. These individuals will often apologize if they make offensive comments. I also find that these individuals have no intention of converting over to Islam. They simply come to forums to 'learn' more.

c) You have the non-muslims that simply love to debate. These individuals carry various forms of knowledge. Some are very intelligent and some have barely finished basic schooling. They will debate on any islamic concept you can think of. Some do their 'homework' before approaching a debate, then you have some that shows their ignorance in the first sentence they type. Regardless of the type though, these individuals approach forums sometimes simply for a challenge, or sometimes to satisfy the ego, by debating until they come out 'on top'.

d) You have the non-muslims that join a forum to learn more about Islam to determine if they should convert.

e) You have the non-muslim that is determine to show muslims the 'right way'. These individuals want to 'save' the muslims from 'our ways of error'. These non-muslims come to forums belonging to various forms of faiths. They 'come in peace' and their quest is to simply show us the 'true meaning of life'. In their eyes, it's not through Islam. Or they perhaps have their own method on teaching us on how we should be approaching Islam and how we should be aprroaching the Quran ( despite the fact these 'teachers' are not even muslims?!). They try to make us open our eyes, so that we will no longer live ' in the dark ages'. ( Sound familar?--I will touch base on that later.)

So...Ron..

When a muslim go on a quest of defending their religon. I think one has to first consider who they are approaching and what are the possible outcomes. There are some examples of non-muslims that I named that I will not waste my time and effort on. For example, non-muslim 'A'- The one that develop hateful messages on forums and websites. Most of these individuals are rude in their approach to others. They are 'stuck' in their beliefs, and no matter what you say to them they will remain the way they are. Individuals such as these have existed since the begining of time, and until the final hour.

I would rather use my time and energy discussing matters with muslims or engaging in conversations with non-muslims that sincerly want to know more about Islam. My main concern is not if a non-muslim converts over- that is their choice- if I know a non-muslim is sincere and come with good intentions then all I can really hope for is that they gain 'the right information' .That they have the opportunity of gaining more knowledge that can help benefit their lives.

. In this day and age their are countless amounts of info on the basics of Islam. Majority of the time individuals remain ignorant because they choose to. If muslim 'B' or 'D' can take the time and look for information for themselves, by joining forums, asking sincere questions, reading about the basics of Islam- even if it's is just wikepedia- at least I can say they are trying. They are attempting to learn more about the diverse world around them and be open-minded, shed away the stereotypes they may have believed in for so long.

non-Muslim 'C'. the ones that loves to debate. Another individual that I simply don't have the time and energy to waste on. They are not trying to learn anything. They debate for a sport, for a game. Instead of engaging in useless debate with these individuals, again I rather be discussing matters and holding friendly debates with non-muslim 'B' or 'D'.

What exactly is a internet jihad??

29:46- 'And argue not with the People of the Book except with what is best; but argue not at all with such of them as are unjust.-.....'

By no means am I against muslims teaching others the postive message and true meaning of Islam. I'm also not against muslims defending Islam in appopriate manner when ignorant, untruthful comments about Islam are made.

But, when I think of the term internet Jihad, it sounds as if it's a crusade to stop the non-believers from bashing the islamic religion- even though such a task in my opinion will be endless, because the internet is a medium that has few regulations, allows total freedom of speach . Internet Jihad sounds like a crusade of Muslims that should float around non-islamic boards attempting to give Dawah to non-believers that simply want to argue for the sake of arguing, to attempt to convince a non-believer that already has a closed mind and heart.. A muslim going on a internet jihad, is similar to a individual trying to fight internet spam-. Perhaps the intentions are good, but the individual will never reach their goal. You 'fight' one group, you only have another that will 'pop' up and the endless task simply go around in circles.

The best way to have a internet jihad is to do more then develop a defense based on words on the internet. The best way that a muslim can particpate in Jihad is by always showing their best character. To showcase to observers that despite all the stereotypes and misconceptions we remain to stand proud in upholding our beliefs.Despite any type of negativity that is broadcasted on the news, internet, newspaper, etc- a muslim with strong faith will never fall victim to such traps.Our peaceful postive character does more to contradict ignorant statements to the observers, then words will ever achieve.

So Ron, when you go on a mission of defending Islam to non-believers what is usually the outcome? Are you achieving your goals? Do you not find a big difference between a non-believer that will never change their views no matter what you say to them, versus the non-believers that sincerly have a desire to learn more beyond the stereotypes? Do you think that either group lack more infomation and resources of the true meaning of Islam, then the other?? Dd you have to have a muslim internet jihadist turn you around to show you a 'glimpse' of true Islam? What make these individuals any different then you? If their are any differences, then why is it essential that I or any other muslim should try to change them?

p.s- i'm sorry Believer ( I'm refering to the forum member) and everyone else for taking the original posting off topic...

Posted By: poga
Date Posted: 07 February 2008 at 8:12am

Mrs Be Aql Khan Usta : ALLAH Said read by name of your lord who teaches by pen
And he said it to MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim the illiterate human
Now one who needs to learn he must read
Reading is divine decree all must pay heed
Now if reading is so important then why GOD choose illiterate MUHAMMAD
Was it because oh BARZAKH there was no need to read because MUHAMMAD could hear the word of the GOD

Mr Barzakh Fitrath Ullah : The Greatest MUWALLIM
MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim
His example is the like of pen
A pen writes every learning without being learned at any kindergarten
He was the pen with whom ALLAH chose to write
On the scale of creation about its wrongs and right
Therefore learn oh  BE AQL station of MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallam
Words of ALLAH is his QAALAM and MUHAMMAD Sallael La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim is his QOLOM
So as AL QURAN Say's read by name of your lord it is saying it is written
And ALLAH Say's in AL QURAN the first thing he created was the pen
and for sure AL QURAN is UMM UL KITHAB
The womb of all enslaved lateral characters with its all powerful writer AL RABB

from SWEETSWORDS 9 [ Scribe ]

-------------
awal

Date Posted: 07 February 2008 at 11:07am

Yes indeed it is the original pen what proves every forged Dalil's authenticity according to the hand writing expert
The type setting the type of writing the type of ink used in the calligraphic artifact
Therefore MUHAMMAD Sallel la Hu Alahi Wa Sallim is the pen and ALLAH is the writer
And to prove manifest AL QURAN which KAFFIR will ever believe in the hidden creator
So seal of AL HADIS was left as the sonar ink for all deaf dumb and blind
Yes indeed AL QURAN is just the pages it is the AL HADIS what makes it the book with the MUHAMMADAN bind

from SWEETSWORDS 9 [ Scribe ]

-------------
awal

Date Posted: 07 February 2008 at 4:20pm

What exactly is a internet jihad??

It's a topic worthy of a separate discussion, and the Islamic Interfaith Dialogue section might be a more appropriate place.  Not sure I'll have time tonight though.

Date Posted: 08 February 2008 at 7:46am

I don't disagree that he would have been accurate in explaining the Quran and conveying its wisdom within the context of the seventh century.

Your assuming what that means.

"Universality is the quality ascribed to an entity whose existence is consistent throughout the universe. In philosophy, universalism is a doctrine or school in which it is claimed that universal facts can be discovered and which is understood then as being in opposition to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism" title="Relativism - relativism . When used in the context of ethics, the meaning of universal refers to that which is true for "all similarly situated individuals". http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/u.htm" class="external autonumber" title="http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/u.htm" rel="nofollow - [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights" title="Rights - Rights , for example in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rights" title="Natural rights - natural rights , or in the 1789 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Man_and_of_the_Citizen" title="Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen - Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen , for those heavily influenced by the philosophy of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment" title="Age of Enlightenment - Enlightenment and its conception of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_nature" title="Human nature - human nature , could be considered as universal. The 1948 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights" title="Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Universal Declaration of Human Rights is inspired by such principles.

In logic, or the consideration of valid arguments, a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition" title="Proposition - proposition is said to have universality if it can be conceived as being true in all possible contexts without creating a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contradiction" title="Contradiction - contradiction . Some philosophers have referred to such propositions as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universalizability" title="Universalizability - universalizable . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth" title="Truth - Truth is considered to be universal if it is valid in all times and places. In this case, it is seen as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal" title="Eternal - eternal or as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute" title="Absolute - absolute . The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism" title="Relativism - relativist conception denies the existence of some or all universal truths, particularly ethical ones (through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism" title="Moral relativism - moral relativism ). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics" title="Mathematics - Mathematics is a field in which those truths discovered, in relation to the field of mathematics, are typically considerered of universal scope. Usage of the word truth has various domains of application, relativism does not necessarily apply to all of them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universality_%28philosophy%29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universality_(philosophy)

Allah is now as he ever was he does not change grow, he exists without beginning and has no end. When the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] talks about allah, his atributes, his creation, his heaven, hell, creation it nature, moral teachings and many other things they have a Universal unchanging nature, they are truth now as they where 1400 years ago and 1400 years from now. will you now say we should only ignore the parts that we dont need?

Reasonable?  I think it's absolutely essential that you, or someone like you, start "defending the faith" on mainstream Internet discussion forums -- not with hostility, but with clear explanations and reasoned argument.  If I could convince you of only one thing, I wish it could be that.

Its not hostility that you sense in my post but maybe slight frustration, to me and other muslims who have a familiarity with the religion its all common sense, well based on other information also.

some of us have done what you ask but believe argumentation wears down most people especially the ones who are conscious of there moral state.

I do what I can, but I'm obviously unqualified for the job.  Please reread my introductory message and consider it seriously.  Don't you think it's time for an "Internet Jihad"?

i hadn't read your introductory thread before but the moral choice that you made is universally right in all religions

Its not easy to see common sense especially when its just easier to hate and conform.

whether his interpretation of the Quran could have taken into account the different circumstances in which we live today.

He was shown the future and spoke about it [as we have them recorded in many ahadith] so he was well aware of what was going to happen after his time up until the time we enter Heaven. 

Omniscient in the sense that the Prophet's rulings in the seventh century could take into account the circumstances in which we live today. 

You can not use such a sweeping genralisation to invalidate 23 years of prophethood, it makes sense in and of itself but doesn't hold water when you investigate it.

I asked you if prayer was different, Hajj, Fasting, Zakkat, Human nature! and you unjustifiably answered yes. There are many topics that the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] discussed that are still exactly the same 1400 years later, if he didnt mention something specifically he certainly established the moral foundations for every single situation that a man will ever find him self in, without exaggeration.

I am talking about things you havnt read or learnt regarding islam, you cant deny something simply because you havnt learnt it yet as you yourself admit your knowledge is limited. Dont say "it"cant be true ask how is it true.

Regarding every new thing that has come up which he didn't specifically mention we have something in islam called Ijtihad [Independant legal reasoning], this act [in an extremely simplistic explanation] entails deducing legal rulings from the Quran and sunnah to deal with new situations that have not come up specifically beffore, the prophet himself instructed his companions to do this when he was sending them to different lands, he said first look in the Quran for answers if you can not find it there then my sunnah [which includes all recorded ahadith] then if you can not find your answer there perform ijtihad using the prvious two as you foundation.

Infallible in the sense that he never made a mistake in his entire life.

A mistake in judgment [as in between two different courses of action] then yes and its clearly stated in the Quran, regarding what he instructed people in regards to the religion then no he was infallible as allah helped him in this and it is stated very clearly in the Quran, "this day i have perfected your religion for you", a claim of perfection that can not be maid if anything wrong in regards to religion had been said. There are plenty of other verses i can quote but i am trying to keep it short.

rami's response was (among other things) that the planet is capable of supporting still more people and resources would not be scarce if we conserved them better.  I disagree --

I think you havnt been outside of canada. can you specify for me the islamic principles regarding eating and conservation of the environment that you just disagreed with?

I think the planet is already overpopulated -- but even if he's right, it should be obvious that at some point we will have too many people on this planet and it will be necessary to limit family size.  Policies that encourage population growth indefinitely are not sustainable.

if this where to go on indefinitely then i would agree with you but since our religion, most religions, teach that this world is temporary then i can not.

Allah has said regarding abortion that we should not kill our children in fear of being unable to sustain them as he has taken it upon himself to do so. This is of course a general statement but since allah is Omniscient i am certain he knows the exact time when this world can not sustain us even if we are doing all the right things.

Yes, the Quran did say to obey the Prophet, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) is dead.  To blindly continue following his orders 1400 years later is like nailing the rudder of a ship in its last position after the captain dies.  The river continues to twist and turn, the currents run this way and that, but Islam sails on blindly into ever more treacherous waters.  It was great to have the Prophet at the helm in the beginning, but now that he is gone we need to find our own way, and the Quran (which is complete and explained in detail) ought to be sufficient guide.

just because the analogy makes sense in and of itself does not mean it is a correct analogy regarding the sunnah. Once again i will state the obvious truth that while Christian Europe was in the dark ages Islamic civilization was the most advanced in the world and all under Islamic rule. History and experience if nothing else [as you dont seem  to be interested in understanding how or why] proves you wrong.

if you like visit http://www.muslimheritage.com/ - http://www.muslimheritage.com/ to learn more.

As I said, I don't know much about the content of the hadith, but I already know from the Quran that the Prophet is capable of error because the Quran tells us in Sura 80 that he wrongly ignored a blind man who came to him for instruction.

This was a mistake in deciding between two paths [if you know the entire story you will see] not an error in instructing his followers about religion which is a more serious mistake and not once did Allah say he did such a thing.

Put this into perspective, he decided to pay attention to the nobles of Quraish, becouse if he was to win them over entire wars would cease, than to answer the Questions of an old blind man. For this mistake allah reveals a verse in the Quran sancturing him, can you imagine if he had said anything wrong about the religion itself.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:08pm

Its not hostility that you sense in my post but maybe slight frustration, to me and other muslims who have a familiarity with the religion its all common sense, well based on other information also.

Don't get me wrong, rami.  I'm not sensing any hostility from you.  I meant that "defending the faith" should not be done with hostility, which would be counterproductive.

Quote I asked you if prayer was different, Hajj, Fasting, Zakkat, Human nature! and you unjustifiably answered yes.

Fasting would be different for a Muslim living in the high Arctic ("the land of the midnight sun") because it would be impossible to follow the traditional rules. The experience of hajj is very different today, because of the sheer numbers of Muslims converging in a single place, as well as the greater distances involved, air travel, security, etc. Family life is significantly altered by modern contraceptive methods, in vitro fertilization, and soon cloning. Theft now includes theft of intellectual property (or does it?). Even death itself is hard to define when modern life support systems can keep a corpse "alive" almost indefinitely. And so on.

The questions haven't changed (mostly), but the answers certainly have.

Quote I am talking about things you havnt read or learnt regarding islam, you cant deny something simply because you havnt learnt it yet as you yourself admit your knowledge is limited. Dont say "it"cant be true ask how is it true.

Okay, "how is it true" that the rules for fasting are the same in Grise Fiord (76 degrees north latitude) as they are in Mecca?

Quote just because the analogy makes sense in and of itself does not mean it is a correct analogy regarding the sunnah. Once again i will state the obvious truth that while Christian Europe was in the dark ages Islamic civilization was the most advanced in the world and all under Islamic rule. History and experience if nothing else [as you dont seem  to be interested in understanding how or why] proves you wrong.

Oh please, rami!  History and experience proves that Islamic civilizations have been in steep decline ever since the modern era, while most of the advanced nations are predominantly Christian.  That's not to say I'm enthralled with Christianity, but at least it's kept up with the times.

Quote As I said, I don't know much about the content of the hadith, but I already know from the Quran that the Prophet is capable of error because the Quran tells us in Sura 80 that he wrongly ignored a blind man who came to him for instruction.

This was a mistake in deciding between two paths [if you know the entire story you will see] not an error in instructing his followers about religion which is a more serious mistake and not once did Allah say he did such a thing.

It was a mistake.  That is all that matters.  It shows that the Prophet is not infallible.  If he could make a mistake in deciding between two paths for himself, he could make a mistake in deciding for someone else; and if he did that and someone wrote it down (as the Prophet specifically forbade his followers to do, for exactly this reason), then that error would be incorporated into the hadith.  Only the Quran, the literal words of Allah, can be regarded as infallible.

Date Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:47pm

Okay, "how is it true" that the rules for fasting are the same in Grise Fiord (76 degrees north latitude) as they are in Mecca?

Are you sure of that?? or are you making assumptions......

Q [IRC Addis Ababa]: Dr. Awol Idris: Ramadan uses the lunar calendar and the times for sihur and iftar are suggested to take place before sunrise and at sunset respectively. This may not be a problem around the equator where the day and the night are kind of equal in length - roughly 12 hours each. This is true of Saudi Arabia where Islam started. But, further up to the north or further down to the south, how do people break their fast or have the sihur when the sun may be still up on the horizon for as long as 18 hours or more? How do you do it in the US, in this connection?

A [Imam Arafat]: The communities begin and break the fast according to the normal timing of the closest city to them. This is particular to Muslims living in Alaska

http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2007/October/20071005170059xjsnommis0.5716516.html - http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2007/October/2007 1005170059xjsnommis0.5716516.html

all information should be verified by your local imam of course...

This is a prime example of why one need to do research and gain knowledge on certain islamic concepts, rituals, etc, before they make false assumptions about Islam.

Contrary to what you make think, I do not feel as if Islam prohibits one from engaging in a modern life. Islam do however allow for muslims to live a simple life.

The keys and advice to living a good,enjoyable life free from sin as a muslim did not come with a expiration date.

Nor is Islam all about 'rules' that must be followed.

Behind every valid hadith or ayat, their is a reason, a joyous message in my opnion.

It is with faith that one begins to appreciate and understand the message.

The choice is all up to the invidual of course and the grace of Allah(swt).

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 5:11am

Hi Ron,

The only difference in fasting in the Arctic, would be the shorter hours of daylight. Basically there is no difference.

As to population, the world can and would be able to accomodate more people, if repeat IF the humankind in this world are not greedy. It is not the fault of the Prophet that humankind are greedy, humankind are egoistic, humankind are not charitable. If they were to follow the guidelines of the Prophet, InshaAllah - God willing, there would be no poor people in this world. But then Satan will not sit still and see humankind live in harmony without him doing his evil part.

Islamic civilisation was at the peak when its followers were not only expert in knowledge of this world during the day but they were also sufis or humble servants of God during the night. In other words they were near perfect human who had knowledge of this world and knowledge of the hereafter.

However nowadays Muslims either are expert in one field that is the Islamic knowledge or their expertise is in worldly knowledge. Rarely we see a Muslim scientist who is also an expert in the Shariah or Islamic Knowledge. That is the downfall of Islam. Whatever it is, the core knowledge of modern science and Mathematics were derived from Muslims in the early days of Islam due to the piety of these people.

Will continue later. Salam.

-------------
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 8:07am

Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

The only difference in fasting in the Arctic, would be the shorter hours of daylight. Basically there is no difference.

In Grise Fiord the sun never sets from May to August.  I think that would make a difference.

Are you sure of that?? or are you making assumptions......

Q [IRC Addis Ababa]: Dr. Awol Idris: Ramadan uses the lunar calendar and the times for sihur and iftar are suggested to take place before sunrise and at sunset respectively. This may not be a problem around the equator where the day and the night are kind of equal in length - roughly 12 hours each. This is true of Saudi Arabia where Islam started. But, further up to the north or further down to the south, how do people break their fast or have the sihur when the sun may be still up on the horizon for as long as 18 hours or more? How do you do it in the US, in this connection?

A [Imam Arafat]: The communities begin and break the fast according to the normal timing of the closest city to them. This is particular to Muslims living in Alaska.

I am not making assumptions, but apparently Imam Arafat is.  In Fairbanks, Alaska (surely a city by anyone's definition), the sun is above the horizon for nearly 22 hours a day near the summer solstice.

Anyway, the Imam is simply confirming my point.  A Muslim could not reasonably be expected to follow the traditional rules for fasting in Fairbanks, much less Grise Fiord.

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 9:08am

you are stepping into the area of islamic law, most certainly you have little to no knowledge to be making ridiculous assumptions about our religion. If you dont mind stick to what you have learnt as apposed to assuming the basis for what we practice.

you could sit there and nit pick and i could sit here and reply to your questions or you could go learn about the matter properly.

You seem to want to throw out the baby with the bath water or rather all religion as soon as you think you have stumbled across an issue which you cant solve with what ever knowledge you have about our religion.

the only people who have to deal with 6 month day light are people who live in such areas, for the other 99.9999% of muslims on earth who dont face extreme conditions the laws are exactly the same and it doesnt matter if the day 6 hours long in one place and 12 hours in another its measured by sunrise and sunset not length of time.

for those who live in these extreme conditions they can measure what is reasonably considered the length of one day and work with it, they do the same with the prayer which is also contingent on the movement of the sun....all of which oddly enough our prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] instructed us on, he lived in the desert traveled no further than Syria and yet knew there would be people in this world who would experience such things.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 11:04am

rami, if I have shown you that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is even 0.0001% fallible, or that the Hadith are even 0.0001% inapplicable today, then I would count that as progress.

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 11:50am
No muslim that has taken the shahada and believe, and have a basic understanding of Tawheed will ever deny that only Allah(swt) is 100% infallible.

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 7:00pm

Omniscient in the sense that the Prophet's rulings in the seventh century could take into account the circumstances in which we live today.  Infallible in the sense that he never made a mistake in his entire life.

The Prophet (saw) was a messenger to mankind, with a message from God. His message was from an "omniscient" source, which does not imply that the prophet (saw) was "omniscient".

The Prophet (saw) was infallible in regards to his prophethood, and he never made a "mistake" in regards to following what God had ordered.

I replied to rami as follows: "I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Prophet encouraged large families.  That may have made sense fourteen centuries ago because infant mortality was extremely high, the global population was small and resources were plentiful.  But now babies almost always live to adulthood, life expectancy has doubled or tripled, the planet has almost reached its capacity and resources are becoming scarce.  If the Prophet were alive today, do you think he would still be encouraging large families?  Why?"

rami's response was (among other things) that the planet is capable of supporting still more people and resources would not be scarce if we conserved them better.  I disagree -- I think the planet is already overpopulated -- but even if he's right, it should be obvious that at some point we will have too many people on this planet and it will be necessary to limit family size.  Policies that encourage population growth indefinitely are not sustainable.

The prophet encouraged married couples to have children, which does not create problems. The problems the are created in the world today come about through the actions of man, not from over population. We will not have to worry about some point from conjecture about "maybe" the world will have too many people. With newly forming diseases, mutating viruses, etc, we will never reach such a point.

Quote The Quran states in multiple passages to obey Allah and His Messenger (saw).

Yes, the Quran did say to obey the Prophet, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) is dead. 

His message lives on. Obeying Allah and His messenger did not have a time stipulation.

To blindly continue following his orders 1400 years later is like nailing the rudder of a ship in its last position after the captain dies. The river continues to twist and turn, the currents run this way and that, but Islam sails on blindly into ever more treacherous waters.  It was great to have the Prophet at the helm in the beginning, but now that he is gone we need to find our own way, and the Quran (which is complete and explained in detail) ought to be sufficient guide.

1) Your assertion that we "blind follow" is a red herring. Show me where we are expected to "blind follow".

2) Your analogy is somewhat convoluted. No one has nailed the rudder, and your analogy presents a false dichotomy. There is another choice other than �nailing the rudder�, and that is selecting another captain. In this case, the next in line are the scholars who are able to give us the most confident information that one is able to obtain without going directly to the Prophet (saw). Even the companions went to the Prophet (saw) for explanations and interpretation. Your analogy implies theological anarchy where everyone is the captain, one only need to open the quran to be one. The scholars are heirs to the prophets, and the choice you are declaring is simply convoluted.  

Quote Could you point out an example where something the Prophet (saw) ordered or explained was contrary to what God would teach?

postamble();

The is a strawman. No one has argued that the Prophet (saw) was never corrected. What is argued is that the Prophet (saw) is infallible in terms of following the shariah and what God commanded. This does not invalidate the hadith.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 7:07pm

rami, if I have shown you that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is even 0.0001% fallible, or that the Hadith are even 0.0001% inapplicable today, then I would count that as progress.

The problem is that you believe you are throwing daggers, secondary to your ignorance about Islamic Law and requirements for worship, so the reality is that you are lobbing "helium balloons". It is probably hard for you to believe, but Muslim scholars, since before the time Christian Europe was bathing or even writing, were discussing various scenerios concerning "fiqh". So, no, you are not the first to come up with it, and the rules surrounding worship and the requirements to be filled for the worship to be accepted have been wroked out even in Alaska. 

So, I have yet to find a single point you have raised that has made any of the hadith irrelevant, or to show that the Prophet was wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 7:39pm

rami, if I have shown you that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is even 0.0001% fallible,

the term infallible as i used it was qualified, maybe you missed this point of logic in my post. I ascribed infallibility to his prophet hood, secondly your use of the example of the blind man to point out his fallibility would indicate to me that you don't completely understand the term.

When a person is called 'infallible', this can mean any of the following:

1. Some statements or teachings made by this person can be relied on to be certainly true
  2. All statements or teachings made by this person can be relied on to be certainly true
  3. All information believed by this person is true
  4. This person is free from flaws or defects, especially of a moral nature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infallible - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infallible

Do you notice something in all the above examples, they all refer to a persons knowledge which is different from claiming absolute infalibility in all respects, knowledge, actions.....choices, such as should i talk to these group of people first or those, How is that even a mistake by human standards.

Infallibility doesn't simply mean he doesn't err in all respects it has to be qualified or you would be claiming divinity for yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 8:06pm

The Prophet (saw) was a messenger to mankind, with a message from God. His message was from an "omniscient" source, which does not imply that the prophet (saw) was "omniscient".

The Prophet (saw) was infallible in regards to his prophethood, and he never made a "mistake" in regards to following what God had ordered.

Right.  God ordered him to recite the Quran, and no doubt he did that flawlessly.

Quote His message lives on. Obeying Allah and His messenger did not have a time stipulation.

Given that his message was the Quran (which is timeless), that makes sense too.

Quote The is a strawman. No one has argued that the Prophet (saw) was never corrected. What is argued is that the Prophet (saw) is infallible in terms of following the shariah and what God commanded. This does not invalidate the hadith.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.  You agree that the Prophet is infallible in his recitation of the Quran, but not necessarily in his daily life, right?  And yet, his followers compile the details of his daily life, and once compiled these details become infallible law?

I'm not trying to prove that any particular hadith is wrong.  I'm saying that any of them could be wrong, or could be outdated, or could need to be interpreted in light of new circumstances.  I'm saying that they need to be approached with reason and common sense.  They may be the words of a great man, instructed by Allah Himself; but they are still the words of a man, not the infallible Word of God.

Date Posted: 09 February 2008 at 10:29pm

Ron you are not going to understand until you gain insight into the subject matter.

visit these websites and read, i am not asking to agree or believe but simply gain an insight becouse as it stands now we dont even agree on what key words mean or how they are intended from a muslim perspective.
http://muslim-canada.org/sitedex.htm -
http://muslim-canada.org/sitedex.htm
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/ -
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/ http://www.muslimheritage.com/ -

http://www.muslimheritage.com/ http://www.jannah.org/articles/ -

http://www.jannah.org/articles/

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2008 at 12:21pm

When a person is called 'infallible', this can mean any of the following:
  1. Some statements or teachings made by this person can be relied on to be certainly true
  2. All statements or teachings made by this person can be relied on to be certainly true
  3. All information believed by this person is true
  4. This person is free from flaws or defects, especially of a moral nature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infallible - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infallible

Well, you've certainly convinced me of one thing: Wikipedia is not infallible.  The second definition is what I mean, and I think what most people mean by the word (see http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infallible - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infallible ).  The first definition in particular is virtually meaningless -- if only some statements can be relied upon, then how can we know which ones?  It's like saying, "I'm infallible whenever I'm right, and any false statements don't count."

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the Prophet was infallible only in matters of doctrine.  Okay, how do we know when something is a matter of doctrine, and when it is not?  If the Prophet talks about family, or about war, or about beards, or whatever, how do we know that this is timeless doctrine and not simply recommendations to his contemporaries in the seventh century?  I'm sure that Islamic scholars have given their rulings on these questions, but are they infallible?

It's not my religion, of course, so I suppose I shouldn't really care; but for what it's worth, to me the obvious answer is that the statements the Prophet told his followers to write down (i.e., the Quran) were clearly intended to be timeless doctrine; but whatever else he said, the statements he specifically commanded his followers not to write, i.e. the hadith, were not intended to be recorded for all time.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:44pm

It's not my religion, of course, so I suppose I shouldn't really care; but for what it's worth, to me the obvious answer is that the statements the Prophet told his followers to write down (i.e., the Quran) were clearly intended to be timeless doctrine; but whatever else he said, the statements he specifically commanded his followers not to write, i.e. the hadith, were not intended to be recorded for all time.

What makes you think that Muhammed did not command/ask his companions to write down the hadiths?

The hadiths are a collection of Muhammed's actions in what to do in religious matters/life. A guide to know what to do. The hadiths and the qu'ran go hand in hand, you cannot have one without the other, this is what I've learnt over the years.

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 11 February 2008 at 6:14am

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

What makes you think that Muhammed did not command/ask his companions to write down the hadiths?

I was going to quote Wikipedia on this, but since I've already said they are "not infallible", here's a different (and maybe less biased) source:

Quote In Hadith literature, there are hadiths that forbid and others that permit the writing down of hadiths, which often causes a confusion for some people.

Prophet Muhammad once said,

"Do not write from me anything except the Qur'an and whosoever has written anything from me other than the Qur'an should erase it." (Al-Bukhari)

By this hadith Prophet Muhammad actually meant that nothing should be written with the Qur'an on the same sheet, as this might lead to mixing the text of the Qur'an with that of the Hadith. This command was given when the Qur'an was being revealed piecemeal and was still incomplete.

Another interpretation of the hadith is that it was forbidden to write down hadiths in early days because all attention was to be paid to the Qur'an and its preservation.

Then later on, when there was no fear of abandoning the Qur'an, the previous order was abrogated and the Companions were permitted to write down hadiths. On the other hand, there is evidence that Prophet Muhammad approved of writing down his hadiths.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1188044001762&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout - http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&am p;cid=1188044001762&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam %2FDIELayout  

At best, this is another example of a hadith obviously directed only at the Prophet's contemporaries and not meant to be applicable today.  At worst, it could be interpreted as invalidating the whole collection.

Date Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:54am

The hadiths and the qu'ran go hand in hand, you cannot have one without the other, this is what I've learnt over the years.

Angel, can you explain your understanding of this concept some more......

please

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:16am

No muslim that has taken the shahada and believe, and have a basic understanding of Tawheed will ever deny that only Allah(swt) is 100% infallible.

if any muslim believe MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim is not 100% right always from begening till end he or she is not MUMIN

-------------
awal

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:28am

I was going to quote Wikipedia on this, but since I've already said they are "not infallible", here's a different (and maybe less biased) source:

Quote In Hadith literature, there are hadiths that forbid and others that permit the writing down of hadiths, which often causes a confusion for some people.

Prophet Muhammad once said,

"Do not write from me anything except the Qur'an and whosoever has written anything from me other than the Qur'an should erase it." (Al-Bukhari)

By this hadith Prophet Muhammad actually meant that nothing should be written with the Qur'an on the same sheet, as this might lead to mixing the text of the Qur'an with that of the Hadith. This command was given when the Qur'an was being revealed piecemeal and was still incomplete.

Another interpretation of the hadith is that it was forbidden to write down hadiths in early days because all attention was to be paid to the Qur'an and its preservation.

Then later on, when there was no fear of abandoning the Qur'an, the previous order was abrogated and the Companions were permitted to write down hadiths. On the other hand, there is evidence that Prophet Muhammad approved of writing down his hadiths.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1188044001762&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout - http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&am p;am p;cid=1188044001762&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam %2FDIELayout  

At best, this is another example of a hadith obviously directed only at the Prophet's contemporaries and not meant to be applicable today.  At worst, it could be interpreted as invalidating the whole collection.

ron come to me as for why AL HADITH beside AL QURAN  i have given you above
now i am saying MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim is 100% infallible
and i do not need AL QURAN or AL HADIS to prove it i will only going to use your fabricated BIBLE and my Factual SWEETSWORDS

-------------
awal

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 1:21am

The second definition is what I mean,

All his teachings were infallible since he taught ONLY what allah taught him and this is clear in the Quran "he speaks nothing from his desire".

He didnt simply recite the quran, reciting something does not equate to knowledge it simply means you know how to speak. Allah gave him "knowledge" "Wisdom" "experience" about the verses contained in the Quran and this he passed on perfectly.

The phrasing "all his statements" if you hadn't realised encompasses not only Islamic teachings but everyday talk such as i like the colour blue, or "hey did you see the nicks game the other day". Allah in the Quran did not fault him in what he taught, he found fault in him ignoring a blind man who asked him questions while he was meeting with the leaders of Quraish [the main group of people who the muslims were at war with].

I also think you are blind in your analysis and unrealistic becouse many statements from ordinary people can be true for all time depending on the subject matter, but you somehow think that NOTHING the prophet said can be true after 1400 years. this is the worst kind of ignorance becouse once you actually admit that some of what he said is relevant due to the timeless nature of the subject matter your position of not using ANY ahadith falls to pieces.

if only some statements can be relied upon, then how can we know which ones?

The scholars have gone through all the ahadith and categorised all his statements to being personnel to him alone or actual teachings about islam, its not that hard but there have been some small cases of confusion due to differences of opinions but this is the exception and not the rule.

"I'm infallible whenever I'm right, and any false statements don't count."

NO, if you go to a lecture at university and listen to a lecturer talking about a subject you can differentiate between when the lecturer is talking about the subject or goes of on a tangent or simply starts talking about his personnel life. when he is talking about the subject of the lecture his speech in that regard can be said to be infallible [unless he personnaly makes a mistake in conveying the knowledge or the knowledge itself that he was given was wrong, think maths if it helps you understand the idea of infallible types of knowledge] but when he talks about his personnel life that is his opinion.

When the prophet talked about religion he was teaching what allah taught him, the Quran isnt simply words those words have a meaning and contain knowledge [assume for a second you believe it is divine], when he was talking about his personnel life ["did you see that camel race the other week"] that was his opinion, he may have had a much more perfect view of reality than other people but he was not absolutely perfect and the example of the Blind man was an example of this.

If the Prophet talks about family, or about war, or about beards, or whatever, how do we know that this is timeless doctrine and not simply recommendations to his contemporaries in the seventh century?

Because he was a prophet sent to teach people islam he commanded certain things and advised certain things, what he commanded is applicable for muslims for all time what he advised is left up to your discretion. You are also thinking of these subjects in terms of a fashion trend, the commands and advice he gave were for different reasons, some of it was for spiritual benefit [eg beard, praying, fasting, zakkat] others were for worldly benefits such as physical health, environmental conservation, family wellbeing and harmony.

It depends on the subject matter and that is what im trying to make you see that most of what he taught had a timeless nature becouse  the subject matter itself was timeless while other topics such as warfare does change overtime but the actions he took or things he said you can extract principles of law from, which can be applied to different situations at different times.

So the fact that time has changed certain things does not mean the principles or wisdom behind certain actions he took cant teach you anything. This subject is a very deep and com
plex discussion but all this has already been investigate by the scholars and have we the conclusions of that 1400 year research.

what you cant say is that the ahadith are no longer relevant becouse to anyone who has some knowledge of the sciences involved in this subject your proposition is just ridiculous.

It wasn't that long after his death that his companions came across situations that had not occurred while he was alive so they did ijtihad [independent legal reasoning] with the Quran and sunnah as the foundation to deal with these situations. I cant sit here and explain to you the mechanics of law [not that i am capable of it] so you will have to look into the matter your self to truly understand how im just pointing you in the right direction.

the statements he specifically commanded his followers not to write, i.e. the hadith, were not intended to be recorded for all time.

well here is another hadith in which he commands his followers to wrtie ahadith,

Imam Ahmad [one of the four most renowned islamic scholars in history] recorded that `Abdullah bin `Amr said, "I used to record everything I heard from the Messenger of Allah so it would be preserved. The Quraysh discouraged me from this, saying, `You record everything you hear from the Messenger of Allah , even though he is human and sometimes speaks when he is angry' I stopped recording the Hadiths for a while, but later mentioned what they said to the Messenger of Allah , who said, (Write! By He in Whose Hand is my soul, every word that comes out of me is the Truth.)'' Abu Dawud [author of one of the 6 most authentic hadith collections]  also collected this Hadith.

Your own post explains why some ahadith have him saying write and  others have him saying dont write.

At the beginning of Islam the Muslims were having trouble differentiating  between his words and the Quran but as the Insight and knowledge grew it was very obvious which was which.

This is an excellent source to learn from about ahadith them selfs,

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Hadith/ - http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Hadith/

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 6:42am

Originally posted by poga poga wrote:

if any muslim believe MUHAMMAD Sallel La Hu Alahi Wa Sallim is not 100% right always from begening till end he or she is not MUMIN

My statement is not to say that the righteousness of the prophet Muhammad (p.b.uh.) was any less. The Quran itself state he was sinless. But by no means can I place our prophet on the same level as Allah(swt).

The phopet was infallible as a prophet.

but when I think of TOTAL perfection, I think of Allah(swt).

May this clarify my statement, Insha'Allah.

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by poga poga wrote:

My statement is not to say that the righteousness of the prophet Muhammad (p.b.uh.) was any less. The Quran itself state he was sinless. But by no means can I place our prophet on the same level as Allah(swt).

The phopet was infallible as a prophet.

but when I think of TOTAL perfection, I think of Allah(swt).

May this clarify my statement, Insha'Allah.

ASSALAMUALAIKUM

laylee ALLAH is not perfect nor ALLAH is imperfect

it is ALLAH who creates perfection and all limitation he is ABSULUTE

i understood you perfectly sister we all are just MUSLIM but we need to be like SHAHABA to become MUMIN

there is big difference in this two

we who are born in MUSLIM house and learn and accept ISLAM or who are born in non muslim family and learn about ISLAM and become MUSLIM

we all have to go long way to become MUMIN

i hope this will clarify my point JAZAKHALLAH KHAIR

poga Say's in a foolington maze

Unequal is unique unlike alike or opposite
Unequal is unique there is nothing like it
Unequal is unique unlike anything like it
Unequal is like every moment
Like this instant no other opposite
Unequal is unique there is nothing like it

unequal is ALLAH la illah illel la MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

from SWEETSWORDS 18 [ Compass ]

-------------
awal

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:52pm
thank you poga for sharing your point

Date Posted: 12 February 2008 at 4:57pm

Thanks for your response, rami.  I know I'm trying your patience and I know you put a great deal of time into your comments.  I think we are closer to understanding each other than we were before, so I have found it a benefit.

The scholars have gone through all the ahadith and categorised all his statements to being personnel to him alone or actual teachings about islam, its not that hard but there have been some small cases of confusion due to differences of opinions but this is the exception and not the rule.

I think it would be very hard indeed, otherwise anyone could consider himself to be an Islamic scholar.  Even the authenticity of the hadiths themselves are often contested.

Just out of curiosity, though, how would you decide whether the Prophet's comments about beards are "about religion" or not?  The way I see it, we are given two things, and only two things, directly from Allah: the Quran, and our own intelligence.  If there is nothing in the Quran about beards (is there?), and my own common sense tells me that having a beard does not make me a better person, then I see no reason to assume that the Prophet's comments still apply today.

I'm guessing you see the burden of proof on the other side though, eh?  You need strong evidence that it doesn't apply before making that assumption.  I think that is our fundamental difference.

Quote It depends on the subject matter and that is what im trying to make you see that most of what he taught had a timeless nature becouse  the subject matter itself was timeless while other topics such as warfare does change overtime but the actions he took or things he said you can extract principles of law from, which can be applied to different situations at different times.

If that is what you are trying to make me see, then we were never far apart to begin with.  My impression was that you were claiming that all of what he taught had a timeless nature and that nothing of relevance had changed.

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 24 March 2008 at 6:42pm

Hi believer,

the best way for you to understand this is that "the hadith" is like the gospels of John, matthews, Luke, and Paul. The account of what Jesus was saying and doing written by many people, and not God speaking in first person. So Hadith is not the word of God, while Quran is the word of God.

Phrophet Mohammed(pbuh) in his last sermon declared that he has completed the mission he was sent for.

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Posted By: minuteman
Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 3:25am

Yes, I believe that the bible of the church is like our books of Hadith. Our books are more reliable than the bible. The books of Hadith describe what our holy prophet said and did. Similarly,the bible NT describes what Jesus did and said. Both the bible and the Hadith are not the words of God. They are sort of biographies of the two prophets of Allah.

-------------
If any one is bad some one must suffer

Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:38am

LOL!  Mohammad recognized the Holy Scriptures from GOD, - the Torah and Gospel!  Mohammad never said that the Torah and Gospel were like hadith.

You mustn't dismiss the Holy Bible so easily.  The Bible is a beautiful miracle written over so many years through so many GOD inspired writers.  Jesus is GOD speaking in first person and the Bible is the Word of GOD.

It might interest you to study the fufilled prophecies of the Bible.  The Holy Bible has been proven historically acurate.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:44am

John 19

The Death of Jesus
 28Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." 29A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. 30When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:25am

John 19

The Death of Jesus
 28Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." 29A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. 30When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Believer please tell me if the above are all the words of God. Did God say those words?? To whom did he say those words?? Then how those words got to the scribe? You will understand that those are not the words of God at all. Not even the words of Jesus. You see, this happened and that happened etc. Who is describing all that?? It is not God and not Jesus.

But it is upto you to believe the way you like because you are a believer.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2008 at 7:03am

Transmission of the messages of Allah/GOD.

Allah-> Gabriel-> Mohammad-> Scribes

GOD-> Apostles who happened to be eye witnesses and scribes.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:37am

LOL!  Mohammad recognized the Holy Scriptures from GOD, - the Torah and Gospel!  Mohammad never said that the Torah and Gospel were like hadith.

You mustn't dismiss the Holy Bible so easily.  The Bible is a beautiful miracle written over so many years through so many GOD inspired writers.  Jesus is GOD speaking in first person and the Bible is the Word of GOD.

It might interest you to study the fufilled prophecies of the Bible.  The Holy Bible has been proven historically acurate.

Hi believer,

let me correct you, it was God who confirmed in the Quran that Torah and Gospel were from Him in the past, not Mohammed (pbuh) through whom that message came. Also Quran confirms that they were changed and altered.

Now as far as your insistance that Jesus (pbuh) was God and thus whatever he spoke was God's word, your source (the bible) have not been able to prove that  without contradicting that claim. And you have been unable to explain the following verse I quoted previously and I will quote it again: John 20:17

....but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Remember, those of us who believe in One Creator, One true God, do not believe that God has a God, a wife, a son or a daughter.

Believer, Torah and Gospel were words of God, what we now call 'the bible' is not. And that is not just because I said so or someone has said so. Instead that is what its contents prove to be. You and I, and everyone probably will agree that God's word (coming from the All Knowing should not have inconsistancies in it. Some typos or man made mistake are possible through trasmission but contradictions to the degree this book has does not make God look good, if we accept that its pure word of God. In truth I cannot do that because for me God is not inconsistance nor incapable. Thus the blame for those inconsistancies goes to the men who assumed the charge of keeping it (the Bible) in accordance with their own understanding and belief and not what God was teaching.

I think its silly to prove bible's authenticity through "the fulfilled prophesies of the bible"  while its own contents cannot stand by it in truth.

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 01 April 2008 at 7:58am

Where does the Quran confirm that the Holy Scriptures were changed?

We have the original Torah and the original Gospel.  Actually there are more inconsistencies in the Quran that can not be explained.  GOD for sure is not inconsistant nor incapable.

Your heart is closed to the fulfilled prophecies- that is the only true way to prove if a book is from GOD.  Otherwise all you have are the words of a man, no witnesses, although Paul did have witnesses.

You are correct in believeing that GOD does not have a wife, sister, brother.

Jesus as a manifestation of GOD does in fact have the One True United GOD, as His GOD.

Remember though that Jesus was 100% man and 100% GOD 

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 01 April 2008 at 9:12am

From believer:

Jesus as a manifestation of GOD does in fact have the One True United GOD, as His GOD.

Believer, you have the inconsistency in your words, Jesus 100% man and 100 % god. That is the most impossible thing that any one heard. In actual fact, you are all in trouble and you cannot explain the contradictions in bible without having Jesus as a man and son of man and common man and as a prophet too and as a god too.

That is very funny. Just convince your self with some truth please.

Now look what you have written above. God does not have wife, sister and brothers. As Jesus was a god, did he not have a mother? and sisters? and brothers? What would you say please? Jesus had the sisters and brothers.

So how do we know when he was a God and when he was a common man and when he was a minister and when he was a prophet?? Was Jesus an ordinary man till the age of 25?? Was jesus a god when he was 5 years old. that would be child god??

God has to be worshipped. Was Jesus ever worshipped as a god at any time. I know that never happened. Even his apostles never worshipped Jesus even one day.   ??????

-------------

Date Posted: 03 April 2008 at 7:32pm

Where in the Quran does it say the Torah and Gospel were changed and altered?

minuteman- hypostatic union,  The divine nature of GOD attaches the human nature to Himself.  The divine nature of GOD wrapped in human flesh.

The human nature of Jesus did have a mother, and possibly a brother or 2.

minuteman - you really need to read the Gospels to understand.  Have you read the story about Jesus at the temple?

Luke 2

The Boy Jesus at the Temple

41Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. 42When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. 43After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."

49"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" 50But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

51Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

LOL!  your own Quran says He spoke from the cradle.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 07 April 2008 at 3:47pm

We have the original Torah and the original Gospel.  Actually there are more inconsistencies in the Quran that can not be explained.  GOD for sure is not inconsistant nor incapable.

Your heart is closed to the fulfilled prophecies- that is the only true way to prove if a book is from GOD.  Otherwise all you have are the words of a man, no witnesses, although Paul did have witnesses.

Hi believer,

let me ask you: Do you believe in logic, reasoning or truth? Because in all honesty you seem to deny those very principals needed to get to the truth. When things are shown to you, you say you agree and in next line you repeat your song of denayal again. I do not mean to offend you in any way and I respect your interest in learning if that is the case honestly, but I feel your purpose is to make fuss if you don't like what you hear.

You asked, "Where does the Quran confirm that the Holy Scriptures were changed?"

Before I answer that question, let me ask you, will you believe it than?

Hasan

-------------

Posted By: Hammy07
Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 8:14pm

No, Jesus was a philosopher and a political activist, and then he got killed. That's it.

Everything else was nonsense by ignorant people who couldn't handle the fact their group leader is gone, no second return, even though they were expecting it within a short time. Nothing to show, but a book, a book that is not referenced. There are thousands of unreferenced books, they are mostly used for enjoyment, fiction.

Date Posted: 08 July 2008 at 6:35am

The Qur'an says it accepts the �the Book,� the word  �Bible� means the book

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 6:53am
Quran did acknowledge the Injeel sent to Jesus alaihissalam.

The Injeel that was not corrupted, the Injeel that has no contradictions, the Injeel that was not altered by men, the Injeel that was pure.

Can that pure book be found now?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 7:22am
Yes, the books of today-Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are the very same Gospel used by early Christians up to present time. 

Mohammad realized that these books were the True GOSPEL of Jesus.

How did Muslims fall away from this Gospel and start calling it corrupt?  Mohammad never did!!  Is it in hadith?

Every Muslim should understand this- are they being lied to by imams?

-------------
John 3

Posted By: robin
Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Hammy07 Hammy07 wrote:

No, Jesus was a philosopher and a political activist, and then he got killed. That's it.

No he was not, he was a pure theocrat

Date Posted: 08 October 2008 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by robin robin wrote:

Originally posted by Hammy07 Hammy07 wrote:

No he was not, he was a pure theocrat

Robin,
what about Jesus' intention and claim according to the Bible, to be the king of the Jews:

Matthew 27:11 Meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.

Matthew 27:37 Above his head they placed the written charge against him: THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Intersting to note here that this was the charge against Jesus according to these verses.
Hasan

-------------

Posted By: Mansoor_ali
Date Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:16pm

The Qur'an says it accepts the �the Book,� the word  �Bible� means the book

There is no reference to the Bible in the Quran whatsoever.  The Quran mentions the Taurat (Old Testament) and the Injil (New Testament).   The Taurat is the book given to prophet Moses. This the equivalent of the Torah/Pentateuch of the Jews and Christians, since much of it was not written by prophet Moses. And the Taurat is definitely not the Old Testament since the OT includes dozens of books attributed to other prophets before Jesus.  The Injil is translated as the Gospel revealed to prophet Jesus.   This is not the New Testament.

The New Testament is a collection of  4 biographies of Christ, 27 epistles of St. Paul, and other books on the lives and adventures on the followers of Christ.  There is no record of a book revealed to Jesus. Perhaps the closest to it are the words of Jesus himself, which constitutes less than 10% of the NT.

Visit http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/does_islam_endorse_the_bible__ - Does Islam Endorse The Bible?

Yes, the books of today-Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are the very same Gospel used by early Christians up to present time.

Today's Books and Gospels' authors of the Bible are UNKNOWN.  See the comments from the NIV Bible itself.Click http://www.answering-christianity.com/authors_gospels.htm - here

Mohammad realized that these books were the True GOSPEL of Jesus.

How did Muslims fall away from this Gospel and start calling it corrupt?  Mohammad never did!!  Is it in hadith?

Every Muslim should understand this- are they being lied to by imams?

YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Here is explicit verse speaking of Bible corruption, the Quran states that if anyone believes that Jesus died and was crucified they then follow nothing but CONJECTURE which is corruption. Which book today tells us that Jesus died and was crucified? The Bible, so hence the Quran here does call the Bible corrupt. So it can't get anymore clear than that.

Visit
http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/does_islam_endorse_the_bible__ - Does Islam Endorse The Bible?

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Bible/Text/ - The problems with textual integrity in the Bible.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/different_bible_canons.htm - The many different and contradicting canons (bibles) that existed and still exist today!

http://www.answering-christianity.com/warning.htm - Evidence proving that the previous Scriptures that existed among the Arabs in Medina weren't the same as Constantine's "Bible".

http://www.atheists.org/christianity/realbible.html - - How reliable is the New Testament?
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/transinsp.html -
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/transinsp.html -

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 2:56pm

Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were never questioned as GOD Holy Scripture. 

The original manuscripts were written on very fragile material so of course the first written one does not exist- but the very original GOD's WORD does exist in Jesus Christ for He was GOD's WORD made flesh.

Is talking about this verse in the Bible:

Jeremiah 8
 8 " 'How can you say, "We are wise,
       for we have the law of the LORD,"
       when actually the lying pen of the scribes
       has handled it falsely?

How do they know it was handled falsely?  There were so many copies circulating people were quickly aware when a false copy shoed up.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 2:59pm
YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Jesus died a physical death but His soul lived!!    He then ressurected  and Mohammad is confirming that inded Jesus is sitting at the right hand of GOD.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 10 October 2008 at 3:00pm
who differ therein are full of doubts -
Some Muslims think Jesus is dead, some think he never has died, they are confused as to when Jesus died, etc.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 11 October 2008 at 11:39am

Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were never questioned as GOD Holy Scripture.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/authors_gospels.htm - Just who were the real authors of the Bible? Today's Books and Gospels' authors of the Bible are UNKNOWN.  See the comments from the NIV Bible itself.

The original manuscripts were written on very fragile material so of course the first written one does not exist

If the original manuscripts had been lost,then what makes you be so sure that everything into today's gospels is 100% accurate?

but the very original GOD's WORD does exist in Jesus Christ for He was GOD's WORD made flesh.

And not a single gospel was written in his life time.Then what is authenticity of your gospels?

�Not a single Gospel was written down at the time of Jesus, they were all written long after his earthly mission had come to an end� (Maurice Bucaille, The Bible, the Quran, and Science p. 127),

YUSUFALI: Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.
PICKTHAL: Therefore woe be unto those who write the Scripture with their hands and then say, "This is from Allah," that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby.
SHAKIR: Woe, then, to those who write the book with their hands and then say: This is from Allah, so that they may take for it a small price; therefore woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they earn.
Is talking about this verse in the Bible:

This verse is referring to the children of Israel; the whole section starting from verse 25 onwards is about the children of Israel. So hence here we see a clear verse speaking of Bible corruption, some of the children of Israel wrote their own books and said it is from God. So basically this means they made copies and added their own ideas and desires and said this is from God, and when you do this over a long period of time the original book gets lost and is gone and that is what happened. So they wrote books with their own hands and claimed it is from God i.e. the Torah.

Jeremiah 8
 8 " 'How can you say, "We are wise,
       for we have the law of the LORD,"
       when actually the lying pen of the scribes
       has handled it falsely?

How do they know it was handled falsely?  There were so many copies circulating people were quickly aware when a false copy shoed up.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/jeremiah8_8.htm - Jeremiah 8:8 proves Historical Corruption in the Bible - by John McCarthy.   Got detailed archeological evidence.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/bassam_zawadi/argument_of_jeremiah_8.htm - - Chapter 2: Christian Proof Texts (Jeremiah 8:8).

Jesus died a physical death but His soul lived!!

Where Quran says that?

He then ressurected  and Mohammad is confirming that inded Jesus is sitting at the right hand of GOD.

Where Quran says that?Where Muhammad said that?

Some Muslims think Jesus is dead, some think he never has died, they are confused as to when Jesus died, etc.

Not a single muslim doubt that Jesus was died by crucifixion.

Let me quote the verse with commentary by Maulana Maududi

YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow,*194 for of a surety they killed him not:-

*194. "Those who differed' refers to the Christians. The Christians have dozens of different versions, rather than one universally agreed view, regarding the crucifixion of the Messiah. This in itself is an eloquent testimony that the Christians were doubtful about the actual event. Some of them held the view that the one who was crucified was someone other than-Jesus and that Jesus himself in fact remained standing somewhere nearby, laughing at their folly. Others were of the opinion that the one who was crucified was certainly Jesus himself, but that he did not die on the cross and was still alive when brought down from it. Others asserted that though Jesus died on the cross, he later returned to life, met his disciples and conversed with them about ten times. Again, some believe that the human body of Jesus suffered death and was buried, while the spirit of godhead in him was taken up on high. Yet others believe that after his death the Messiah was resurrected physically and was subsequently taken up to heaven in physical form. Had the truth been fully known and well-established so many divergent views could not have gained currency.( http://www.tafheem.net/main.html - Source )

The Quran states that if anyone believes that Jesus died and was crucified they then follow nothing but CONJECTURE which is corruption. Which book today tells us that Jesus died and was crucified? The Bible, so hence the Quran here does call the Bible corrupt. So it can't get anymore clear than that.

Date Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:44am
LOL!!  You must read more then answering-chritianity sites!!

read this:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/rtg/rtg-evid/rtgevd04.txt - http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/rtg/rtg-evid/rtgevd04.txt

RIGOROUS TRANSCRIPTION OF OLD TESTAMENT
We can have confidence in the reliability of the Old Testament because
of the rigorous transcription methods employed. Before the discovery of
the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947, the oldest Old Testament manuscript found
dated around AD 900, approximately 1300 years after the completion of
the Old Testament in 400 BC. The Dead Sea Scrolls, however are dated
before the time of Christ (about 150 BC). The book of Isaiah found in
the Dead Sea Scrolls verifies the precision of the method used to
transcribe the Old Testament. The book of Isaiah from the Dead Sea
Scrolls is identical to today's standard Hebrew Bible in greater than
95% of the text. The 5% variation is due to slips of the pen and
variations in spelling.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:51am

YUSUFALI: Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
PICKTHAL: (And remember) when Allah said: O Jesus! Lo! I am gathering thee and causing thee to ascend unto Me, and am cleansing thee of those who disbelieve and am setting those who follow thee above those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then unto Me ye will (all) return, and I shall judge between you as to that wherein ye used to differ.
SHAKIR: And when Allah said: O Isa, I am going to terminate the period of your stay (on earth) and cause you to ascend unto Me and purify you of those who disbelieve and make those who follow you above those who disbelieve to the day of resurrection; then to Me shall be your return, so l will decide between you concerning that in which you differed.

YUSUFALI: And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)."
PICKTHAL: And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our Allah and your Allah is One, and unto Him we surrender.
SHAKIR: And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our Allah and your Allah is One, and to Him do we submit.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 13 October 2008 at 5:54pm

read this:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/rtg/rtg-evid/rtgevd04.txt - http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/rtg/rtg-evid/rtgevd04.txt

before the time of Christ (about 150 BC). The book of Isaiah found in
variations in spelling.

You forgot, varying interpretations and meaning alterations. How Christians squeeze different meanings out of the same verse.
Here is an example:
The OT in Jewish hands reads:
Isaiah 9:5 For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."

Now find the stark difference in Christian Bible. What they did to the meanings of the same verse so they can make people believe that Jesus was God. The same verse we find in the Christian Bible's Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
       to us a son is given,
       and the government will be on his shoulders.
       And he will be called
       Wonderful Counselor,Mighty God,

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
This is a very important one since this alteration is a design to alter the doctrine alltogether, not just a mere translation difference.

Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2008 at 5:22pm
Yes you have pointed that out before. 

Please read:

http://www.godandjews.org/yeshua_in_the_tenach.htm - http://www.godandjews.org/yeshua_in_the_tenach.htm

The name of Jesus is used throughout the Old Testament every time salvation is mentioned.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 20 October 2008 at 6:49pm

Yes you have pointed that out before. 

Please read:

The name of Jesus is used throughout the Old Testament every time salvation is mentioned.

Instead of addressing the contradiction, you are redirecting us to something different, may I ask why?
And by way the if you are making yeshua into Jesus, that is called translation, and words traslate, not proper nouns or names.
Like Robin is trying to make us believe the same that Mr Bush in America is Mr. Jahri in the Sub-continent and now you too!
Please address the transformation of the OT verse I mentioned when it was borrowed by Christian Bible.
Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2008 at 6:46am
LOL!!  I am not denying the contradiction. 

Remember when you brought it up before I said that there are different interpretations of that same passage.  You mention one, I follow another. 

LOL!!  honeto I have short term memory lose but not long term!!

So why does the Quran say Jesus' name is Isa?

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 05 November 2008 at 6:55pm

LOL!!  I am not denying the contradiction. 

Remember when you brought it up before I said that there are different interpretations of that same passage.  You mention one, I follow another. 

LOL!!  honeto I have short term memory lose but not long term!!

So why does the Quran say Jesus' name is Isa?

Good that you realize that your interpretation of that verse is different in principle then the one found in the source from where it was taken.

I don't think God will hold us accountable for our memory loss, LOL
rather for our mistakes that we make knowingly, and continue to follow that path.Cry

You ask, "Why does Quran say Jesus' name is Isa." Well, I don't know why. But I know that Christians that are Arab and from the Sub-continent use "Issa" for Jesus.  And  I know that in Spanish, its pronounced as 'Hesoos'. So it must have gone through the same transformation as the word " Jehovah".

Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2008 at 8:25am
I know for a positive that my path is the true way to GOD, for He has spoken to me and carried me through all things.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 28 November 2008 at 2:14pm

read this:

before the time of Christ (about 150 BC).The book of Isaiah found in
variations in spelling.

THE REAL BIBLE: WHO'S GOT IT?
  http://www.atheists.org/christianity/realbible.html - http://www.atheists.org/christianity/realbible.html

Pagan trintarian christians LIES Regarding the Dead Sea Scrolls
  http://answering-christianity.com/abdul-rahman_klimaszewski/dead_sea_scrolls.htm - http://answering-christianity.com/abdul-rahman_klimaszewski/dead_sea_scrolls.htm

Different and conflicting variations of "gospels" and "books" that are disagreed  upon by the Churches today.
  http://answering-christianity.com/different_bible_canons.htm - http://answering-christianity.com/different_bible_canons.htm

Textual Integrity Of The Bible
  http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Bible/Text/ - http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Bible/Text/

Date Posted: 28 November 2008 at 2:23pm

YUSUFALI: Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
PICKTHAL: (And remember) when Allah said: O Jesus! Lo! I am gathering thee and causing thee to ascend unto Me, and am cleansing thee of those who disbelieve and am setting those who follow thee above those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then unto Me ye will (all) return, and I shall judge between you as to that wherein ye used to differ.
SHAKIR: And when Allah said: O Isa, I am going to terminate the period of your stay (on earth) and cause you to ascend unto Me and purify you of those who disbelieve and make those who follow you above those who disbelieve to the day of resurrection; then to Me shall be your return, so l will decide between you concerning that in which you differed.

YUSUFALI: And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)."
PICKTHAL: And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our Allah and your Allah is One, and unto Him we surrender.
SHAKIR: And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our Allah and your Allah is One, and to Him do we submit.

Here is thoroughly response 'Does Islam Endorse The Bible?'
  http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/does_islam_endorse_the_bible__ - http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/does_islam_endorse_the_bible__

Date Posted: 01 December 2008 at 3:28pm

I know for a positive that my path is the true way to GOD, for He has spoken to me and carried me through all things.

Dear friend,
God speaks to us through His word, and He has given us capabilities to lead us into the right direction. However, it depends on us if we listen to what He has said and accpet that offer or refuse it. Each one of us has that chance and choice to make, not that it makes any differance for God rather to the individual. God has always offered His forgiveness to anyone who calls upon Him and seek His Mercy.
Hasan

-------------

Posted By: thomas-philip
Date Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:22am

As a "newbie" to your forum, I have found this discussion thread at times very insightful, yet sadly also needlessly divisive.  It is a pity that ALL cannot see what binds us, instead of focusing on what divides us?  I believe GOD/Allah/Yahweh/Jehova is patiently waiting for us to finally get that.  Fact: we are human; therefore flawed.  Our religous texts were written by humans and, therefore flaws exist.  What IS important is the basic intentions of HIS word. The 10 commandments spell it out pretty well.  Jesus's 11 comandment 'seals the deal' as to what we aLL must do.  Muslims, Christians & Jews are NOT to have false gods. We are NOT to treat others harshly, we ARE to forgive others.  The bottom line is that all 3 religions have flaws because they are rooted in our flawed humanity.  The sooner we really truly practice 'forgiveness', the sooner we will be in God's graces. 

Date Posted: 15 December 2008 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by thomas-philip thomas-philip wrote:

As a "newbie" to your forum, I have found this discussion thread at times very insightful, yet sadly also needlessly divisive.  It is a pity that ALL cannot see what binds us, instead of focusing on what divides us?  I believe GOD/Allah/Yahweh/Jehova is patiently waiting for us to finally get that.  Fact: we are human; therefore flawed.  Our religous texts were written by humans and, therefore flaws exist.  What IS important is the basic intentions of HIS word. The 10 commandments spell it out pretty well.  Jesus's 11 comandment 'seals the deal' as to what we aLL must do.  Muslims, Christians & Jews are NOT to have false gods. We are NOT to treat others harshly, we ARE to forgive others.  The bottom line is that all 3 religions have flaws because they are rooted in our flawed humanity.  The sooner we really truly practice 'forgiveness', the sooner we will be in God's graces. 

Thomas-Philip,
let me say this very clearly you are very right that we must forgive each other and be kind to others, that's how you earn the favors of God according to the Quran.
Now let me also be clear. There is no flaws in Submission to God, that is Islam.  Nothing will save us from God's wrath if we turn to others in worship, or not direct our worship straight to God.

We can make all kind of alliances and so on, but unless we turn in worship to our Creator alone and turn away from false worship of false gods and intercessors, it will be a witness against us on the day of judgement, its of no avail.
The Quran 6:94 "And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all (the favours) which We bestowed on you: We see not with you your intercessors whom ye thought to be partners in your affairs: so now all relations between you have been cut off, and your (pet) fancies have left you in the lurch!"

Hasan

-------------

Posted By: owen.grandison
Date Posted: 03 March 2009 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by seif the truth seif the truth wrote:

[QUOTE=believer]

Quran is more than enough. we as human part of our job is to be reminder so the hadith has more detials about Mohamed PBUH, it tells you what and how he did things, so you remember and do the same

now the quran tells you to pray but you find how to pray in Quran because allah thought mohamed how.

simple answer for you is this

if you follow quran one of the things Quran ask you to do it to follow Mohamed and all Prophets , so hadith will be good for you to  Follow the Prophet

In the qur'aan 18:110 and 41:6, we read the following:  (SAY: I AM BUT A MAN LIKE YOURSELVES, (BUT) THE INSPIRATION HAS COME TO ME, THAT YOUR GOD IS ONE GOD: WHOEVEER EXPECTS TO MEET HIS LORD, LET HIM WORK RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND, IN THE WORSHIP OF HIS LORD, ADMIT NO ONE AS PARTNER.

The prophet muhammad made it clear that he was a man like any other and that you should not bind partners with allah.  So why do orthodox sunni muslims insist on giving him equal status with allah?  Like christians who defied the messiah jesus to the point where now there are those who say he is 'Allah'.  Muslims are doing the same thing and it is wrong, according to your doctrine!!!

Qur'aan 41:6 "SAY THOU: 'I AM BUT A MAN LIKE YOU: IT IS REVEALED TO ME BY INSPIRATION, THAT YOUR GOD IS ONE GOD: SO STAND TRUE TO HIM, AND ASK FOR HIS FORGIVENESS. AND WOE TO THOSE WHO JOIN  GODS WITH GOD."

In the following hadiyth extracted from sahih al bukhari by Dr. muhammad muhsin khan the prophet muhammad says that he is a human being and capable of forgetting things.

394.  NARRATED 'ABDULLAH:  THE PROPHET PRAYED (AND THE SUB NARRATOR IBRAHIM SAID, "I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER HE PRAYED MORE OR LESS THAN USUAL), AND WHEN HE HAD FINISHED THE PRAYERS HE WAS ASKED, "O ALLAH'S MESSENGER! HAS THERE BEEN ANY CHANGE IN THE PRAYERS?"  HE SAID, "WHAT IS IT?" THE PEOPLE SAID, "YOU HAVE PRAYED SO MUCH AND SO MUCH." SO THE PROPHET BENT HIS LEGS, FACED THE QIBLA AND PERFORMED TWO PROSTRATIONS (OF SAHU) AND FINISHED HIS PRAYERS WITH TASLIM (BY TURNING HIS FACE TO RIGHT AND LEFT SAYING: 'AS-SALAMU 'ALAIKUM-WRAHMAT-ULLAH').  WHEN HE TURNED HIS FACE TO US HE SAID, "IF THERE HAD BEEN ANYTHING CHANGED IN THE PRAYER, SURELY I WOULD HAVE INFORMED YOU BUT I AM A HUMAN BEING LIKE YOU AND LIABLE TO FORGET LIKE YOU.  SO IF I FORGET REMIND ME AND IF ANYONE OF YOU IS DOUBTFUL ABOUT HIS PRAYER, HE SHOULD FOLLOW WHAT HE THINKS TO BE CORRECT AND COMPLETE HIS PRAYER ACCORDINGLY AND FINISH IT AND DO TWO PROSTRATIONS (OF SAHU)

Sahih al bukhari

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net