IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions About Hijab in Business  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions About Hijab in Business

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions About Hijab in Business
    Posted: 16 January 2007 at 6:58am

I suppose I'm just full of questions?

Are there any sisters here who are self-employed in the areas of business, law, or even the medical industry in which they interact with non-Muslims clients regularly?

If so:

May I ask what type of style of hijab you where and what type of clothing i.e. regular pants suite and amirah hijab or jilbab and khimar?

May I ask if your clients are ever taken aback when they discover you are Muslim and if so do the discontinue using your services or do they stay on board?

How do you handle being alone with men especially if they have to come to your home to pick up their work or job orders?

Do you find being self employed easy or more flexible when it comes to salah, Jummah, and Eid's or is there no difference?

Thank you for your time!

Mrs. Dia
USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 7:33am

Assalamu'Alaikum Sr.

For years I worked in the nursing field in CA and wore hijab and just tucked it into my scrubs....and wore a lab coat over the scrubs or my scrub shirt loose and untucked and would wear a long sleeve shirt under the scrubs.

When we moved here to MI I worked as a bank supervisor and wore Khimar or hijab that was about 60"X60" I wore jilbab or long skirts with jackets you can find some nice ones at www.shukronline.com.

About 4 years ago my MIL's health started to decline and she wasn't always able to be in good health to walk to the kids school bus stops etc. So, I left the bank and started my own online company selling early education/school supplies. I never deal directly with anyone all of the teachers or daycare providers just email me or purchase online and I mail it out to them directly.

So I don't know...Today I wear niqab, I don't have any issues conducting business in town so I don't think it would be any different many of my bank customers still see me all over town and stop and chat....

Over all I've never had an issue with wearing hijab or khimar in the work place...

but I would suggest to you however you interview is how you should intend to look at work....don't show up for an interview with no hijab and than come on the first day with one on...

There's nothing wrong with wearing hijab and you don't need anyones' permission to wear hijab but being that it's a new work environment and you're building trust with your employer/employees' you want to establish from day 1 that you are an honest and trustworthy person and what they see is what they'll be getting....a hard working muslimah. 

MasSalaama

UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 5:35pm

Oh I meant what type of experience people who are working from home are having.

salaam

Mrs. Dia
Mark Ultra View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Pastafarian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 2:39am
Good day to all! I think that it is a pretty delicate theme to discuss. I suppose that there are a huge number of sisters here who are self-employed in the areas of business. So, if you are a Muslim, you can wear a hijab, it is not a problem. By the way, if you thinking of a business starting, you can check these tips from Singapore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic