IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - World Bank chief slams Iraq  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Bank chief slams Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Bank chief slams Iraq
    Posted: 15 November 2006 at 12:48am
World Bank chief slams Iraq

Strasbourg
November 15, 2006 - 9:18AM

Iraq needs advice rather than money from international donors to rebuild its institutions, Paul Wolfowitz, president of the World Bank, said today.

Wolfowitz, who plans to open a permanent office in Iraq to coordinate donor assistance, said the country was not making the best use of the money it already had.

"I am not saying they don't need money, but they have a lot of money on their own and it's not managed right, and they know that," Wolfowitz said.

"What they need is help in constructing better institutions, public financial management, and advice how to better manage the petroleum sector. Help, I believe, in how to manage social safety nets. This is policy advice and not money," Wolfowitz told the European Parliament's development committee.

He did not know what steps the United States would take in Iraq after the Republicans lost Congress in last week's elections, partly due to voter unease over Iraq policy.

"I don't know how US policy in the Middle East will change. I know that they are not going to come and ask me for my opinion," Wolfowitz said.

"I am not sufficiently well informed on political and security issues to give sensible advice," Wolfowitz said.

Wolfowitz is a former deputy US defence chief to Donald Rumsfeld, and a key advocate of the Iraq war. Rumsfeld resigned as Defence Secretary after the Republicans' electoral defeat.

Democrats, who will control Congress starting in January, have promised to conduct vigorous reviews of US policy on Iraq, including post-war reconstruction and stabilisation.

Wolfowitz, who was appointed president of the World Bank last year, could be called to testify.

Reuters

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/world-bank-chief-slams-i raq/2006/11/15/1163266588149.html

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 4:22am
I think he is the guy who was shown spitting at his comb before combing his hairs in the movie Fahrenheit 9/11.
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 8:11am

With all due respect, it seems to me that the last thing that besieged and besieging Iraq probably needs at this point is the continued counsel of ex-Deputy Secretary of Defense and master of statecraft, Paul Wolfowitz.  Perhaps, instead, Mr. Wolfowitz, now elevated to President of the World Bank, should himself take advice from Vatican Cardinal Secretary of State Bertone and acknowledge that international lending by his institution, the IMF and by developed countries is �a form of usury that should be declared illegal.�

��if he does not lend at interest nor exact usury; if he holds off from evildoing, judges fairly between a man and his opponent; if he lives by my statutes and is careful to observe my ordinances, that man is virtuous �� (Ezekiel 18:9)

Serv

Ref:  http://www.cathnews.com/news/608/60.php

Edited by Servetus
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 8:21am
In 2002, then Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz suggested
(washingtonpost.com April 16 2004) simply seizing Iraq's Southern
oil fields. Colin Powell dismissed the idea as "lunacy".

Wolfowitz has subsequently been appointed director of the World
Bank, from where he can effectively oversee the rebuilding of Iraq,
via the usual austerity measures which invariably help to destroy any
hope of a vibrant economy. The IMF, under Wolfie's direction, with
the help of James Baker, has brokered a deal whereby it shall receive
1% of the Iraqi debt which is to be paid back in installments
favouring the so-called Paris Club (a group of countries) but the IMF
is in fact owed NOTHING by Iraq. The austerity measures to be
followed under the deal include Iraq paying reparations to Kuwait
(Iraq has/had an estimated GDP of $3.400 and Kuwait's GDP is over
$19.000 A fair deal?) and include the implementation of a new Iraq
oil law which effectively strips the country of its own resources.

Joseph Stiglitz, chief economist of the World Bank from 1996 to 2000
has written that people are RIGHT when they say the IMF is arrogant,
does not listen to developing countries, secretive, isolated from
democratic processes, and that the IMF measures frequently make
things WORSE.

He should know. He worked there.

Wofowitz is just another Good Old Boy from the Bush cadre network,
and he is no more interested in truly helping Iraq's economy than
Bush is interested in Shakespeare.   
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 10:29am
I detest the World Bank.. a useless post but I felt the need to say it!
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 3:20pm

Please, Ladies and Gentlemen, don�t dismiss Mr. Wolfowitz so quickly, especially when he, for a change, speaks the truth: �Iraq needs advice rather than money from international donors to rebuild its institutions.� Indeed, as soon as the US returns the stolen and misappropriated money to Iraq, it will not need international donors. And here Mr. Wolfowitz even agrees with me: "There's a lot of money to pay for this. It doesn't have to be U.S. taxpayer money. We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon." (Congressional Testimony, March 27, 2003)

Candid, what�s a little spit on a comb? The other day, during my morning walk, I wiped my nose on my sleeve.

� granted, Mr. Wolfowitz was not always right, did not always make sense, did not always have the American- or Iraqi citizens� best interest in mind, nor did he always speak the truth .....

"The Army Chief of Staff has determined that US troops shall not wear berets made in China or berets made with Chinese content." (official memorandum)

"I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs of Iraq. Those who want to come and help are welcome. Those who come to interfere and destroy are not."

"I think one has to say it's not just simply a matter of capturing people and holding them accountable, but removing the sanctuaries, removing the support systems, ending states who sponsor terrorism. And that's why it has to be a broad and sustained campaign. It's not going to stop if a few criminals are taken care of."

�We don't start a job that we can't finish... that's the American way.�

"I can't imagine anyone here wanting to spend another $30 billion to be there for another 12 years."

"...the importance of leadership and what it consists of: not lecturing and posturing and demanding, but demonstrating that your friends will be protected and taken care of, that your enemies will be punished, and that those who refuse to support you will regret having done so."

"***** you." (to Al Franken at the White House correspondents dinner after Franken asked, "Hi. Dr. Wolfowitz. Hey, the Clinton military did a great job in Iraq, didn't it?")

"There's definitely a rule in the Convention against humiliating prisoners and I'd have to see exactly the interview to see whether that in itself violated the Convention, but the Convention is very clear that prisoners have got to be treated properly. We are treating the Iraqi prisoners extremely well. In fact I think they get good food and shelter and they're free from the horrible commanders they used to work for. I think most of them are much happier, frankly." (March 23, 2003)

"We know that in Basra and in the other cities the people do not want to repeat the experience of 12 years ago where they rise up against Saddam and then they're slaughtered. But before we take care of the killers that are left behind in those cities, we've got to take care of the regime. It's almost like cutting off the head of the snake and then the rest of the body will go."

"This word imminent keeps coming up. The President never said that there was an imminent threat." (February 6, 2004 on the Roger Hedgecock Show)

� but let�s be fair, does he not deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps now that Mr. Wolfowitz has liberated himself from the clutches of his mesmerizing influence of his former employer, is he finally able to follow in Rush Limbaugh�s footsteps and speak what he has felt in his heart all along. After months of unswerving loyalty to the White House, Rush Limbaugh devoted much of his Wednesday broadcast to what went wrong during the recent elections .....

"It is silly to blame the media; it is silly to blame the Democrats; it is silly to go out and try to find all these excuses. We have proved that we can beat them ... we have proved that we can withstand whatever we get from the drive-by media. Conservatism does that - conservatism properly applied, proudly, eagerly, with vigor and honesty will triumph over that nine times out of 10 in this current political and social environment. It just wasn't utilized in this campaign."

It's bad enough that Mr. Bush has thumbed his nose at the conservative base on this issue, claiming the illegals do the work that "Americans won't do". But when we're supposed to be fighting a "War on Terror" and nothing is being done to secure our border, the disingenuousness is not only insulting to our intelligence, but places us at great risk from terrorists as well. The President, at his press conference on Wednesday, displayed an apparent glee at the thought of working with the Dems to get his amnesty bill finally pushed through. With Pelosi and Reid in charge, he will probably get his wish.

"Our side hungers for ideological leadership and we're not getting it from the top. Conservatism was nowhere to be found in this campaign from the top. The Democrats beat something with nothing. They didn't have to take a stand on anything other than their usual anti-war positions. They had no clear agenda and they didn't dare offer one.

"I feel liberated, and I'm going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, 'Well, why have you been doing it?' Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat Party and liberalism does."

"I did not want to sit here and participate, willingly, in the victory of the libs, in the victory of the Democrat Party by sabotaging my own. But now, with what has happened yesterday and today, it is an entirely liberating thing. If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future -- both in Congress and the administration -- are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that's liberating.

� Nah!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic