IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lifting the Veil on the Veil Issue  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting the Veil on the Veil Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murabit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting the Veil on the Veil Issue
    Posted: 24 October 2006 at 6:35pm
Lifting the Veil on the Veil Issue

by Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi

Allah the Exalted says in Surat Luqman (31:6)

But there are some people who trade in distracting tales
to misguide people from Allah�s Way
knowing nothing about it
and to make a mockery of it.
Such people will have a humiliating punishment.

A few weeks ago, some European leaders met together in Brussels in order to discuss the fall-out caused by the disastrous collapse of the military adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan. Concern was expressed about the surprising (to them) rise of numbers entering the Deen of Islam in Europe. Another of their concerns was the awareness of a growing unity and coherence of voice among Muslims who insisted on an end to an ethos which seemed to license and encourage attacks on Islam. Catholic christianity�s dogmas had collapsed in an avalanche of financial claims against paedophile priests, the near-abolition of marriage alongside easy divorce, and the cruel doctrines around abortion and contraception. To distract from their troubles, the Pope decided to win favour with his banking creditors by an attack on Islam. At the Brussels meeting it was decided that a perfect and easy target both to humiliate the Muslims and to break their spirit was an attack on the so-called �Islamic veil�. This had the added advantage of boosting the fantasy that atheist women in Europe were �free�, were �modern� and not oppressed.

Firstly, we must look at who led the dance, and secondly, at who is responsible among our Muslim Community for putting us in this absurd position. The person who started it, someone who only acts under orders, was the former Foreign Secretary whose family have adopted the English name of Straw. Straw�s achievements merit only a footnote in history. The only record I find of his activities is in Bob Woodward�s important book �State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III�. He informs us that the American Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice left England on April 2, 2006 for Iraq in her plane with Jack Straw. Straw was air-sick. He let Rice give up her one fold-out bed through the overnight flight, and left her to stretch out on the floor near the burn-bags for classified information. That is the kind of man he is. If he forces a woman who holds high office in an ally country, what chance does a poor Hackney girl have who has put a black bag over her head? Straw�s son was arrested by the police in possession of illegal drugs, but on reflection perhaps that was a morally superior choice to going home.

Sacked by Blair for disloyalty and what he called �fumbling�, he had been put out to grass, not his son�s kind. So he returned to his constituency to fire off the first anti-Muslim salvo. He asked a woman in his constituency office to remove her veil, it being of the kind that only allowed a slit for the eyes. He said he could not communicate with her unless he could see her face. This may go a long way to explaining his dismal failure as Foreign Secretary, since most of his important work with leaders abroad must have been done by telephone � or did he insist on a video link?

The so-called issue was quickly taken up by Sky Television, whose personnel tend to take their holidays by the Dead Sea. In the shortest time they were interviewing a very nasty piece of work, Lord Jenner or Jennings, a high-ranking and active Zionist. Fortunately for us, in the words of Laclos, �His soul is written on his face.� He rabbited on about �what would happen if we introduced the rules of the Bible into today�s society?� What indeed! Therein lies the dilemma of the jews, who, quite rightly, have no intention of doing it. To climax the European nature of the affair, the Italian PM, Prodi, stepped in, just back no doubt from a meeting of the �Vatican Fund for the Widows and Orphans of Celibate Priests�. While expressing his outrage at this affront to womanhood, he made absolutely no reference to the 30,000 women bussed in as prostitutes to serve the admittedly bored spectators of the World Cup. Nor did he give a thought to the German Government�s proposals to give prostitutes a trade union at the very moment that France and Germany are dismantling the trade unions of other workers.

While we, the Muslims of Europe, must not only refuse to enter this debate but merely pour scorn on those despicable politicians and media-people who prefer to attack us rather than face up to the moral nihilism that is Europe today � at the same time we must confront the position of our own Community and its avoidance of the heavy Fara�id that remain unconfronted.

Let us begin with the young woman who was asked to undress in Straw�s office. If she was convinced, or had been convinced, that it was necessary for her to allow only a slit for her eyes in her covering � given that strictness, one must ask her what on earth she was doing there in the first place? What was her purpose? Where was her husband? Was it a pick-up? From a legal point of view that is a valid if uncomfortable question. How can you wear what you think is a dress of purity and then perform acts which by implication and possibility are impure?

It has always been, not just now but through the ages, that when men turn away from their political and fiduciary responsibilities, they cover over the matter by creating a false puritanism. It is easier to discipline women than confront tyrants, be they financial or social. This puritanism has been a mark of the so-called modernist movement and is most shockingly identifiable in that human disaster-zone called Palestine. There the Deen of Islam as we understand it has been slowly eroded and has descended in an escalator of change from a strong healthy Shafi�i and Maliki position, to a corroded Muslim Brotherhood ethos, only to end up in the basement of Shi�ism and the adoption of the deviant Isma�ili practice. In the recent election, the Hamas women, on the Monday as it were, wore the full black veil and gown, but on the Tuesday of election appeared in mysterious uniform topped with a head-scarf and an American baseball cap, reminiscent of Libyan women whose outfits are designed by Gaddafi, the Armani of Libya.

In the unanimous view of our Fuqaha, what has been declared Haram is Haram and what is Halal is Halal. Now the Deen of Islam is not actually based on that set of judgments which could result in a decision of either punishment or pardon, or equally a reward of financial payment. While this is rarely understood by the kuffar, it must be understood by the Muslims � the Shari�at and its judgments are sustained by an underlying social nexus of what is agreed among us embodying what is praiseworthy behaviour and unworthy behaviour. The primary inhibition to wrong action is not the threatening law of punishment but the disapproval and social rejection of our peers. This whole web of social disapproval and social approval results in a pattern of social behaviour that is harmonious, fair and courteous. This is what we call Sunna. The Sunnan are pegged in place by the Fara�id, or the obligatory.

It is important to understand that Islam only exists by �Amr. A Fatwa may be made, but a Hukm must be carried out. The Hukm can only be authorised by �Amr. Islam, what our enemies have now chosen to designate as �Sunni Islam�, a formerly honourable term but now used to suggest that the Deen is split in two, cannot fully function without our own governance under our own leader. The inability to carry out the Hukm � that is a grave matter and it is the restoration of our own leadership which must be our one binding concern.

In the light of this the serious and grave concern of Muslims is to find the nature of the mechanism which prevents the Hukm. Clarity on the Fara�id and obedience to them will illuminate the Sunnan and establish them.

If Muslim men are being extreme in their strictness to women, it must mean that they are being lax in relation to their own obligations. The mechanism which will restore power to the Muslim Community is the restoration of the Fard of Zakat. The restoration of the Fard of Zakat demands its payment in Gold Dinar and Silver Dirham, by Qur�anic injunction and the practice of the Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and the people of Madinah.

In Surat an-Nur (24:30-31) we find the key text.

Say to the muminun that they should lower their eyes
and guard their private parts.
That is purer for them.
Allah is aware of what they do.

Say to the mumin women that they should lower their eyes
and guard their private parts
and not display their adornments �
except for what normally shows �
and draw their head-coverings across their breasts.

The first thing we must observe in these two Ayats is that they begin in the same way, with Allah the Exalted instructing the Messenger, may Allah bless him and give him peace, as follows:

�Say to the muminun...�

�Say to the mumin women...�
This indicates that it is a strong, Divinely ordained Sunna. It is not a law with punishment or reward attached to it.

Important to us is the phrase from the second Ayat which specifies: � � except for what normally shows � �

We find in Ibn �Atiyya that he relates how Asma bint Abu Bakr was with her sister Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, when the Messenger entered, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. When his wife questioned about the correctness of her dress, the Prophet indicated that she should be covered except � and he mimed the hands and the face. This permits us to say that the Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, gave indication about modesty by covering, in accordance with the Qur�anic stricture � � except for what normally shows � �. This allows us to say that the covering of the face is not an Islamic practice, but more seriously is a defiance of the indication of our Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

The Muslim Community cannot be led into a frivolous and futile struggle at the hands of men and women who do not know what the Deen of Islam is in the first place.

Allah the Exalted has declared in Surat Al �Imran (3:32):

Say, �Obey Allah and the Messenger.�
Then if they turn away,
Allah does not love the kafirun.

Source: SAQ's Website
"I am a slave. I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.", Beloved, sallallahu alyhi wa-sallam.
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 4:57am
Thank you, this makes more sense to me than anything I'd heard or read.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 6:42am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Without commenting on Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir, I say that the issue of veil, in the context, has now become a political one, and the purpose behind this seems to discredit Islam and Muslims. When such things happen, can Muslims have a unified stand?

Regardless of the concept of veil, my question is what we should do to counteract the "broader problem"?

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2006 at 6:03am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

I was reading this article in which the writer said that once he asked Mahatir Muhammad, if there was only one thing ummah could do, what would he advise them to do, to come out of this state. He said to educate themselves and thier kids. I think thats what we need to do, thier is no short cut for our problems. We need to encourage each other to go in all fields of worldly education and also have the basics of deen. I am saying basics because when you go in specific field, you realize the importance of rules and regulation, you realize the vastness of knowledge and scope of exploring, you realize yourself and then with even minute knowledge of your Lord, you realize the importance of religion. 

That offcourse is long term but for now i am not sure. I know all of us talk about unity in the ummah but how are we going to get that? We have expanded our vocabulary to label ourselves with everything but MUSLIMS. We have forgotten that we have been made 'the middle nation'. Majority of us are on one extreme and the rest on the other. Practising muslims have made islam non approachables for the rest. I am sorry if some1 thinks that i am blaming some1 but practising muslims are the ones who suppose to know more, suppose to attract others to the deen. I think its about time when we stop looking at others and take the initiative ourselves. If each one of us starts some thing in thier community to educate the muslim of Islam and tries to unite the people, it might be a start.

But honestly i dont think there is a straight answer to this, there is a saying that making or constructing something takes time while destroying it only takes one move. We will have to build UMMAH again, for that we need to spread the awareness, the true message, the true meaning of ISLAM.

I was thinking this for few months but inshaAllah we are going to start sessions in our local mosques. Invite sisters to those and ask brohters to start thier sessions inshaAllah. Nothing big just learning the basics inshaAllah and trying in our capacity and asking Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala's help. Thats all we could do and leave the rest for AR-Rahman because He is the supporter of those who put thier trust in Him. I dont really know why i am writing this but just in a hope that others might want to do the same in thier community. I think its about time that we ask ourselves about "My responsibility'

Please forgive me if i have cause a hurt to some1

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2006 at 12:39am

thier is no short cut for our problems

That offcourse is long term but for now i am not sure. I know all of us talk about unity in the ummah but how are we going to get that? We have expanded our vocabulary to label ourselves with everything but MUSLIMS. We have forgotten that we have been made 'the middle nation'. Majority of us are on one extreme and the rest on the other. Practising muslims have made islam non approachables for the rest"

I agree with u here fatima. U made a good point.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 7:21am

Assalamu Alaikum,

I appreciate responses here. I agree that right education can bring out tremendous changes. For example: one is doctor and also understands well at least basic and necessary aspects of Islam.

We can also learn a lot from our surroundings we live in. For example, I would like to share an observation of Sikh community in Canada. The education level, in general, among Sikhs is much lower compared to that of Muslims; they are also comparatively less in population. But, they are much more united. They have a say in Canadian Politics. And, we can learn a lesson here from them. Regardless of their educational background, if one Sikh suffers from any form of discrimination, the rest will support him/her in spite of their personal differences.

Yes, we must ask about "my responsibility". On seeing history, we find that there were times when just one person was capable of changing the course of history. We may find those individuals in every field. We can learn from them.

Finally, I would like to quote a Hadith that really inspires me a lot and gives me clear cut signal that although education is paramount for our well being, the true comprehension of religion comes only by blessings of Allah ( SWT ).

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 71:

Narrated Muawiya:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "If Allah wants to do good to a person, He makes him comprehend the religion. I am just a distributor, but the grant is from Allah. (And remember) that this nation (true Muslims) will keep on following Allah's teachings strictly and they will not be harmed by any one going on a different path till Allah's order (Day of Judgment) is established."

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 10:00am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

SubhanAllah its so true that guidance is from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, but i was listening to junaid jamshaid the other day and he was saying about when people ask us about if guidance is from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala then why blame is on people for not following the straight path. He said look at an example of applying for a job, no matter how qualified we are for that particular position, we are not going to get it till we apply for it. Same way people have to go through the process of wanting to be a good slave of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

And it is also true that Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala puts it in some people the heart, the courage, the charisma and the ability to show the way. So i think people from ummah need to get up and realize that this needs to be done. I did say that education is important because it helps you achieve your worldly goals but yet still keeps a part of your heart empty. That part only gets filled with faith and if you have basics of deen you do eventually explore that path.

Another thing is that educated minds will always want to learn more and more, this gives a hope that inshaAllah then we will see for ourselves how important it is to keep united. Now we have people incharge who want to show it to others how right they are and how wrong others are and forget the major part which is keeping the ummah united. When the masses learn the true religion then the realization that the difference between different schools is not such a difference, its only shown this big so people could basically 'divide and rule'. Then inshaAllah we would have a better chance.

This brother said a good thing the other day that to deal with this hostility on short term basis all we need to do is return to our very basic sunnah manners. Do totally opposite of what they expect, smile at every1, be polite in the face of this hostility and be patient. Most of all follow the true path, make dua and put your faith in Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 9:16pm

As'salamulaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatahu,

Masha'allah, superb discussion here. May Allah ta'ala increase both of your knowledge sister Fatima  and "Peacemaker". May Allah ta'ala accept your spirit.and reward u.
A point which i would like to add up here is, we muslims irrespective of our sect should be educated with the real aim of our life. Every act of our shud be aimed for aakhira'h and for the sake of Allah. If this spirit is developed in all of us especially amongst younger generation as well as children then surely insha-allah we will stand united to face any sort of crticism. And to combat with them we also need acquire and specialise ourselves  in various fields of wordly education.
 "Peacemaker" these sardarjis are always a part of jokes, as they are famous for there ignorance.  But yes they are united.

Allah Hafiz
Assalamualaikum.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic