IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Personalties
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Woman Warrior of  Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woman Warrior of Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woman Warrior of Islam
    Posted: 18 October 2006 at 7:52pm

One of the most distinguished women who took part in the battle of Uhud, if not the most distinguished of them, was Nasibah bint Ka'b al-Maziniyyah, Umm 'Umarah (May Allah be pleased with her). At the beginning of the battle, she was bringing water and tending the wounded, as the other women were doing. When the battle was going in the favor of the Muslims, the archers disobeyed the command of the Prophet (saw), and this turned the victory into defeat, as the Qur'an described it:

"Behold! You were climbing up the high ground, without even casting a side glance at anyone, and the Messenger in your rear was calling you back.." (3:153)

At this point, Nasibah went forward, with her sword unsheathed and her bow in her hand, to join the small group who were standing firm with the Prophet, acting as a human shield to protect him from the arrows of the non-believers. Every time danger approached the Prophet, she hastened to protect him. The Messenger of Allah noticed this, and later said, "Wherever I turned, to the left or the right, I saw her fighting for me."

Her son 'Umarah also described what happened on that tremendous day, "On that day, I was wounded in my left hand. A man who seemed to be as tall as a palm-tree struck me, then went away without pursuing me to finish me off. The blood began to flow copiously, so the Messenger of Allah told me, 'Bind up your wound.' My mother came to me, and she was wearing a waist-wrapper. She dressed my wound, whilst the Prophet was looking on. Then she told me, 'Get up, my son, and fight the people.'

The Prophet (saw) said, 'Who could bear what you are putting up with, O Umm 'Umarah?' She said: The man who had struck my son was passing by at that moment and the Messenger of Allah (saw) said, 'This is the one who struck your son.' I intercepted him and hit him in the thigh, and he collapsed. I saw the Messenger of Allah smiling so broadly that I could see his back teeth. He said, 'You have taken your revenge, O Umm 'Umarah!' Then we struck him with our weapons until we killed him, and the Prophet (saw) said: 'Praise be to Allah (swt), who granted you victory over him, gave you the satisfaction of taking revenge on your enemy, and let you see the vengeance for yourself."

On this day, Nasibah herself received many wounds whilst she was fighting the people and striking their chests. The Prophet (saw) saw her, and called to her son, "Your mother! Your mother! See to her wounds, may Allah (swt) bless you and your household! Your mother has fought better than so-and-so."

When his mother heard what the Prophet said, she said, "Pray to Allah (swt) that we may accompany you in Paradise."

He said, "O Allah, make them my companions in Paradise."

She said, " I do not care what befalls me in this world."

Source: Excerpted from the book "The Ideal Muslimah" by Dr. Muhammad Ali Al Hashimi. Taken from http://www.jannah.org/sisters/mwarrior.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic