IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Africa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Ugandan Violence  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Ugandan Violence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Ugandan Violence
    Posted: 31 August 2006 at 9:46am

Bismillah,

This letter was sent to me.  I thought I would share it with my friends here at IC.  Salaamu Alaykum

Torture, child abductions, sexual abuse, and untimely death are daily occurrences for the people of Northern Uganda. In fact, over 90% of this rural area has been forced into squalid and unhealthy refugee camps because of civil unrest. Support the current peace talks and bring hope to millions of people in Northern Uganda by signing today!

Emergency relief organizations say that living conditions in Northern Uganda are the harshest they've ever seen. Consider the following:

• 30,000 children have been abducted as sexual slaves, porters, or fighters over the past 20 years.
  • More than 1.5 million people are crammed into 200 crowded camps.
  • There is an estimated weekly death toll of 900 civilians due to disease.
  • 20 people die each day due to violence.
  • Sexual abuse is a daily occurrence in camps.
For over 20 years the rebel group Lord�s Resistance Army (LRA) has waged a brutal war against the Government of Uganda. The ruthless fighters in this conflict have resorted to barbaric tactics of murder, mutilation, burning of villages, sexual enslavement, and abduction of civilians � especially children � to be forced to fight.

What can we do? We must tell our elected officials to work for a conflict resolution at the peace talks in Juba, Southern Sudan and to increase humanitarian aid to this war-torn area! Please take action by going to: http://go.care2.com/e/mXb/Ps/Q0Fz

Thank you for helping the people of Uganda today.

Truly,
Robyn E.
Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic