IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Terror expert warns of new extremists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terror expert warns of new extremists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terror expert warns of new extremists
    Posted: 17 August 2006 at 9:14am

Probably the wrong forum

Thursday Aug 17 22:14 AEST

A new style of Islamic extremist is emerging to replace established networks and increasingly-weakening terrorist splinter groups, a leading Asia-Pacific anti-terror expert says.

Sidney Jones, of the International Crisis Group (ICG), also warned fresh terror attacks were a very real possibility, given the fact there had been an attack in Indonesia against Australian or western interests every year since the first Bali bombing in 2002.

"On the one hand, I think the capacity to do it has diminished, because the group that's been responsible for each of those bombings is now much weaker than it was before," Ms Jones said.

"But unfortunately, we now know that they did plan a once-a-year spectacular operation and my guess is that even in a diminished capacity there'll be an effort to try again."

Ms Jones, the ICG's south-east Asia project director, agreed established organisations such as Jemaah Islamiah (JI) were slowly weakening but warned the void was quickly being filled with smaller groups.

"We're dealing with a number of splinter groups and the people behind Nordin Mohammed Top, who's led the last three spectacular bombings, is in fact the head of a splinter group - it is not JI proper.

"That is what we are seeing with some of these arrests, the fragmentation of the larger groups."

Ms Jones said there had been too much obsession with radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir and also suggested Indonesia deserved more credit for increased security measures.

Bashir was freed from jail in June after serving 26 months of a 30-month sentence for conspiracy in the 2002 Bali blasts.

"Bashir is out, he is attracting thousands of people when he goes on the lecture tour but I am not sure that it is having any impact at all on bringing either more people into the terrorist network or indeed giving new oomph to the terrorist movement - the dynamics have moved beyond Bashir," she told the 7.30 Report's Kerry O'Brien.

"Indonesia has been far more effective than it's been given credit for.

"We've seen a number of people arrested and taken out of circulation, but also one of the reasons the people behind the second Bali bomb last October couldn't do the big car bomb was because they could not bring in the materials without being detected.

"They couldn't go after the big hotels because there's too much security - I think that shows that the security measures have been effective."

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2006 at 2:09am

I have talked eat and mingle with the so called extremist. I had my idea of Islam and they have theirs. It took time for them to modify a bit with their stand but to me they were not extremist, they are just enthusiastic people.

It used very simple word to change them, very simple without shouting match. Simple talk is all that was.

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Probably the wrong forum

There is no right or wrong forum for dumping scare propaganda. Sooner or later people living in glass houses will realize and unlearn the habit of throwing stones. What goes around comes around and hits you in the keister. So be careful --just remember  what happened to the experts lately!!!.

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic