IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The First 200 Years  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The First 200 Years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The First 200 Years
    Posted: 21 April 2023 at 3:01am
My question is - What was Islam for the 200 years between Muhammad’s death and Bukhari’s hadith collection?

According to standard Islamic belief (correct me if I am wrong) Bukhari collected around 600,000 hadith from the Islamic world and rejected about 99%.

Would this not mean that prior to Bukhari’s collection, the Islamic world believed in 99% inauthentic hadith?
Zyzyx View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2023 at 3:04am
My point is that standard, orthodox Sunni Islam teaches that both the Quran and Hadith are essential to your faith. Quran-only Muslims are seen as heretical. You have to follow the Hadith.

However, what I don't understand is what happened prior to Bukhari’s collection. If you were to imagine 10 or 25 or 50 years before Bukhari, Islam in North Africa, for example, would have been Quran plus some hadith, and in Egypt it would be Quran plus different hadith and Mecca different again and Iraq different again and so on.

Even within Egypt or Iraq it was probably different from one city/town//village to the next.

Not until Bukhari, 200 years after Muhammad’s death was there an accepted authority on what was considered authentic and what was to be rejected.

By the time of Bukhari, he considered the Muslim world to be following 99% inauthentic hadith.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic