IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Historic Rape and Flashbacks  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic Rape and Flashbacks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YN2304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic Rape and Flashbacks
    Posted: 20 January 2022 at 11:14am
‏اَلسَلامُ عَلَيْكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ وَبَرَكاتُهُ‎

From the ages of 6-8 years old I suffered from sexual abuse. I have spent most of my teenage years trying to cope with the memories and flashbacks. I have tried therapy and strengthened my imaan.

However every so often I receive flashbacks of the attacks in my dreams. It gets very hard to then carry on the rest of my day. I already suffer from depression and anxiety. The dreams are very disturbing and affect me mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I am constantly praying that Allah stops these dreams and I read all my duas before going to sleep. But, everytime I close my eyes, the memories are back. I wake up struggling to breathe and with night sweats. My sister has reported that I also cry in my sleep and start shaking.
I do not know what to do. I am finding it very hard to continue with day-to-day activities.
Please advice me the best you can.
Blackangel View Drop Down

Male Monotheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2022 at 11:55am
I'm no docter that said I relate. The antidepressant called mirtazapine is slightly sedating and can be used for the treatment of PTSD. A sleeping pill such as zoplycone or tamazapam might help you sleep better. Talking therapy such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) should help.

Don't give up. 

Edit. Perhaps ask your doctor for valium or Xanax for anxiety
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2022 at 4:09pm
Salam, 
There are three issues involved in it.
Physical, emotional and psychological and social.
Your pain is understandable, and only you feel its intensity as you went through it. It should not have happened, but it did.
You have the courage to share this pain with Islamicity audience. Many do not have that courage to open up.
Your pain has impacted your social and physical being.
The pain that you have would last. We do not forget wrong and injustices. But we can try to overcome them. We are assured by our creator that every act of injustice would come to question on the day of reckoning. Be assured that those who abused would face the consequences and censure, justice would come your way, and you would see that in this life and the life hereafter. God would not forgive abusers. They would face the consequences. 
You do not have to forgive them.
Write about your experiences anonymously so that others could learn and expose the pattern of abuse.
For social and physical therapy, you need to consult those who are medical doctors and psychologist. Inshallah, through their advice, Allah will bless you and help you minimize your pain.
We are in prayers for you to get healed.
Aslam Abdullah

Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic