IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Family money  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taz786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family money
    Posted: 28 February 2021 at 11:05am
Aslamu alikum

I had given family members money as loan as they wanted there son to go abroad for better life and work and get a job and send money my brother in law who wa sin pakistan. The amount is more than 10 grand and I have said to my wife that get this back its been years  she keeps making excuses and also she keeps telling to send more money is this right even after oweing me 10 grand.

What is the best way as My wife keeps making excuses that I will get it as I am struggling when I need the money we are in UK and have 2 kids.

Jakak Allah
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2021 at 10:50am
Wa alaikum Salam,
This is common within our community. It happens due to the lack of clarity at the time when the money is given or borrowed.
The Islamic instructions are clear.
1. The transaction should be in written and very specific. How much is borrowed and what are the terms of returning the borrowed amount? 
2. If the money is not returned in time, what to do?
3. Can the loan be forgiven?
4. Or can the loan be paid in a diffeent manner?

If you did not write down details, Or agreed upon on the date of return then do the following

1. Sit down with your wife and politely discuss the issue.
and ask her to clarify from the people who borroed the money.
1. When will they return the money fully.
2. Will they give in instalments or in one instalment?
3. If they do not return the money on stipulated date, what will be the course of action to retrieve?

As far as giving additional loan is concerned, it all depends on your financial conditions or trust level.
Aslam Abdullah
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 8:00am
Wa alaikum salaam,

The mere fact more financial help is needed in Pakistan indicates their inability to repay the loan. Debts that can't be paid, won't be paid. Be patient and keep family ties intact.  Keep in mind that your own extended family may need help and insha'Allah your wife will be supportive, as you were helpful to her family. 
jewelljean View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jewelljean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 5:32am
Wa’alaikum salaam, This is not good, and I sympathize with you because the money is too much, but I think you should agree with @abuayisha on this one. We're Muslims, and we should always try to keep family ties intact; it's a priority. But you can stop sending them money(if you wish) since they don't repay, and you end up on the losing side. Nowadays, people don't keep up with their words, and that's what made me broke. I have lent money out to people, too, and end up at a loss just like you did. And I'm desperately in need of funds to start my professional gaming career since I learned that it's possible through; https://yourmoneygeek.com/how-to-make-money-playing-video-games/. Btw, are you currently with your wife, or she's with her relatives? If she's with them, you still need to be sending her money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic