IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I've hurt a cat, can I be forgiven?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've hurt a cat, can I be forgiven?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've hurt a cat, can I be forgiven?
    Posted: 01 September 2020 at 7:29pm
AsalaamuAleikum waramatullahi wabarakatuh

About 5 or 6 years ago, when I was not a muslim yet,
I used to get angry at my neighbour's cat who often came into the back garden of our house.
Back then, I was a frequent user of cannabis, and now I think of it, I had a demon-like personality, was never nice to anyone or anything I encountered.
I always cursed the cat which I thought "trespassing" our property and always threw things at the cat to make him/her go away.
One time I threw a fist sized fruit at the cat very hard and it hit the cat right on him.
After being shocked and screaming, the cat quickly ran away and it never came back to our garden after that event.

I've now converted to a muslim and I have been off all intoxicants for more than a year and realise how terrible of a human I was and the way I lived.
I've adopted a cat myself couple of years ago and love my cat so much and would never wish harm upon my cat.

It tears my heart apart when I think of that cat who used to come to our garden and what I did to the cat, Although it seemed like cat looked and ran normal when it ran away for the last time, but I may have severely injured the cat or it could have even died shortly after that event (hence why it never came back to our garden).
how can I be forgiven for my horrible actions that I did to that cat? can I even be forgiven?
I wish I could be granted a chance to make up for what I did to that cat and to its family.

thank you for reading
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:09am
Salam,
Congratulation for the conversion, may Allah god almighty make it easy for you.
Regarding your question:
All seen that you had done before conversion big or small are forgiven, Omar Ibn Khattab, the prophet's companion, before Islam he buried his daughter alive. Comparing what Omar had done, yours were nothing.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:11am

Q/A about it.
==========
Conversion to Islam is not hindered in any form or manner by sins committed prior to embracing Islam. So acceptance of your conversion to Islam is a function of your sincerity in embracing Allah's religion, not by what deeds are on your books. All sins prior to Islam are forgivable, and all sins after Islam — except shirk — are equally forgivable. Never despair, for Allah's mercy is far greater than our sins.

Before he became a Muslim, 'Amr ibn al-'Ās was a very strong and active opposer of Islam, as was Khalid ibn al-Walid. This was even to the extent that 'Amr ibn al-'Ās feared he would never be forgiven. The story is documented in a hadith, out of which the following quote is extracted:

‏ قَالَ ‏رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ﷺ‏ �£َمَا عَلِمْتَ �£َنَّ الإِسْلاَمَ يَهْدِمُ مَا كَانَ قَبْلَهُ وَ�£َنَّ الْهِجْرَةَ تَهْدِمُ مَا كَانَ قَبْلَهَا وَ�£َنَّ الْحَجَّ يَهْدِمُ مَا كَانَ قَبْلَهُ‏

The Prophet ﷺ observed: Are you not aware of the fact that Islam wipes out all the previous (misdeeds)? Verily migration wipes out all the previous (misdeeds), and verily the pilgrimage wipes out all the (previous) misdeeds.

— Sahih Muslim 121, Book 1, Hadith 228

So, whatever sins one may have committed prior to embracing Islam will be forgiven upon taking the shahadatyn. Not only so, but with Allah's mercy, such sins may actually become good deeds in one's balance, if one repents:

إِلَّا مَن تَابَ وَآمَنَ وَعَمِلَ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا فَ�£ُولَٰئِكَ يُبَدِّلُ اللَّهُ سَيِّئَاتِهِمْ حَسَنَاتٍ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them, Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

— Qur'an, Al-Furqan 25:70

The main focus is to resolve not to repeat such acts again:

قُل لِّلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا إِن يَنتَهُوا يُغْفَرْ لَهُم مَّا قَدْ سَلَفَ وَإِن يَعُودُوا فَقَدْ مَضَتْ سُنَّتُ الْ�£َوَّلِينَ

Say to those who have disbelieved [that] if they cease, what has previously occurred will be forgiven for them. But if they return [to hostility] - then the precedent of the former [rebellious] peoples has already taken place.

— Qur'an, Al-Anfal 8:38

Finally, after embracing Islam, it is important to realize that as Muslims, we believe that Allah may forgive any sins we may commit, except shirk, and that it is part of our belief to never despair of His mercy:

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ �£َسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ �£َنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

— Qur'an, Az-Zumar 39:53

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic