IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Being a female doctor in the west  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Being a female doctor in the west

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritika97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being a female doctor in the west
    Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:33pm
As salam aleikum. I am a female medical student currently in the last year of my studies and will soon in sha allah become a doctor. I live in europe. I would specifically like to become a gynecologist and obstetrician which is a doctor for only women, both due to my interest in the field and avoiding contact with male patients. Unfortunately, in the very beginning, since i have no work experience, to be able to become a gynecologist i will need to work and train as a general nurse practitioner and take care of MALE and female patients (i.e, feed them, clean them etc) who have been living in a nursing home. Due to being a doctor in the west we are not given such an option to choose the things we can and can not do. One is obliged to take care of all patients despite their gender. Is it permissible for me to do this work? Please give me advice in this situation. Being a medical professional is my only skill set and this is my last year of studies.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 5:57am

Salaams, I think from the following you can extract general principles and hopefully you'll quickly pass through this phase and move on to treat females, which our community is in dire need of female Muslim ob/gyn professionals. 

All praise be to Allah and may His blessings and peace be on His last messenger, Muhammad,

We have two different principles here that we have to consider:

1- The impermissibility of looking at or touching of the ‘awrah (nakedness) of anyone, whether of the same gender or an opposite gender. This is certainly more emphasized with the opposite gender. The great emphasis on this in Islam is the fortress that is meant to keep the social cohesion of the societies, prevent moral decay and also, prevent the spread of diseases known to be transmitted by unregulated sexual practices.

2- The need of treating those who are sick, which is a collective obligation on the Muslims. It is, also, an act of charity which is to be extended to all people, as the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) said, “Kind treatment of every living creature is an act of charity.”

In light of the above, it was permitted for health care workers, whether physicians or nurses to treat members of the other sex, but a same gender nurse or physician should be first sought whenever possible, as stated in Decision: 81 (8/12) of the Islamic Fiqh Assembly of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), which also advised the health authorities to do their best to encourage women to enter the field of medicine, so as to limit the need for an opposite sex physician treating the female patients.

This is also the position of the members of the Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas, KSA, who indicated in their answer to a question about female nurses washing male patients, that it is permissible, given the absence of a male counterpart.

In ar-Rawd al-Murbi’, al-Buhooti states, “It is permissible for the physicians and their likes to look or touch (the ‘awrah of patients) for a need,” Ibn al-Qasim commented, in his Hashiyah, by saying, “like the one who looks after a male or female patient, and helps them with wudu or istinjaa’ (washing of private parts)…”

These positions are in accordance with the balance between the basic principles mentioned here above, and the various reports in the authentic collections indicating that the female companions, such as ar-Rubaye’, Oum ‘Atiyah, and ‘Aishah, would follow the armies to provide water to the soldiers and treat the wounded. It was also reported that the companions would examine the pubic area of individuals to spare them of the deserved punishment if they were found to be children.

As for the case in question, since there is no possibility to follow the guidelines provided here above, including the seeking of a same gender nurse first, it seems that this encounter will be routine for those nurses, not an exception that may be tolerated for the greater benefit of giving comfort to a patient who, otherwise, wouldn’t find a same gender nurse to help him. Therefore, I would recommend for the female nurses who are faced by this dilemma to:

1- Seek appointment in specialties or practice settings where they don’t encounter this problem.

2- As long as they work in the fields that call for washing the male patients, and they can’t arrange with male colleagues to exchange duties, where they can handle their female patients, and their male counterparts handle the males, then they should:

a) Perform the job that is considered part of their obligation as nurses.

b) Look at, and touch, only, that which is necessary for the performance of their job.

c) Use barriers (gloves), which they are required to use anyway by the standards of health care delivery.

d) Avoid seclusion.

e) Limit the interaction to the professional aspect, and perform what is required, while avoiding socialization with the opposite gender patients.

Allah says, “So keep your duty to Allah and fear Him as much as you can” [at-Taghabun 64:16]

May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon the Messenger of Allah and his family and companions.

Ritika97 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritika97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 12:43pm
Jazakallah for the reply! I appreciate your answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic