IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is black magic haram?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is black magic haram?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suhan Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is black magic haram?
    Posted: 24 November 2019 at 4:35pm
I heard stories from my parents and they said back in their home country, a lot of people used to and still practice black magic involving jinns, they said even mullahs practice it. But if it’s haram to practice black magic, then why would some mullahs practice it? And why is it haram in the first place to practice black magic involving jinns? (Don’t worry, it’s only for research purposes).
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Suhan Miah Suhan Miah wrote:

I heard stories from my parents and they said back in their home country, a lot of people used to and still practice black magic involving jinns, they said even mullahs practice it. But if it’s haram to practice black magic, then why would some mullahs practice it? And why is it haram in the first place to practice black magic involving jinns? (Don’t worry, it’s only for research purposes).
The understanding of black magic is the knowledge of the science of human friendship related to the work of the jinn where their work can harm others. Or it can be said also that black magic is synonymous with sihr that aims in the negative direction by involving jinn as a friend to help him.
This is what makes black magic banned in Islam.
People who do black magic do not care whether it is haram or not in order to achieve certain goals.
Jinn is one of the unseen creatures that Allah Ta'ala has created to worship Him.
Allah Ta'ala said:
وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْاِنْسَ  اِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوْنِ
"I did not create jinn and humans except to worship Me."
(Az-Zariyat 51: 56)

Although some Jinns are Muslim, but because of supernatural beings, we will not easily believe in their confession. Are they really honest Muslims or are they lying?

Imam At-Tabari in his interpretation states: "There are villagers from the Arabs who descend the valley and add to their sins by asking for protection from the jinn of the inhabitants of the valley, and then the jinn is more daring to disturb them.
Allah Ta'ala said:

وَّاَنَّهٗ كَانَ رِجَالٌ مِّنَ الْاِنْسِ يَعُوْذُوْنَ 
بِرِجَالٍ مِّنَ الْجِنِّ فَزَادُوْهُمْ رَهَقًا  

"And in fact there are some men from among the people who ask for protection from some men from the jinn, but they (jinn) make them (humans) go astray."
(Al-Jinn 72: 6)

We must remember that jinn can see humans freely while not all humans can see jinn.
Humans are ordered by Allah to engage in muamalah (association) with fellow human beings, and He never advises humans to establish relationships with jinn.
This makes us unable to deal with them naturally as human relationships do. If there is a relationship, then we are in a weak position, because we cannot see them and they can see us.

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 12:42am

...a lot of people used to and still practice black magic involving jinns...

Jazakallahu khairan brother Asep for the good contribution. I would like to add a few ideas.

Islam is totally against the use of Black magic and Witchcraft (Arabic: Sihr) for ANY purpose (i.e. even if someone says that they are doing it for something 'good' to happen... marriage, love, success in exams...etc)... and that is because of the (hidden) harm that it causes in society. 

...they said even mullahs practice it. But if it’s haram to practice black magic, then why would some mullahs practice it?...

If you mean by 'Mullahs' people who are knowledgeable in Islamic matters... then that's wrong... because anyone who knows even the basics of Islam, will have come across the many Quranic verses and authentic Hadiths that forbid it... including the following narration:

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) explained the seven 'Moobiqaat': i.e. sins that doom a person to Hell in a saheeh hadeeth that was narrated by the two Shaykhs, al-Bukhaari and Muslim, in as-Saheehayn, in which it was narrated that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Avoid the seven sins that doom a person to Hell.” We said: What are they, O Messenger of Allah? He said: “Associating others with Allah (shirk); witchcraft; killing a soul whom Allah has forbidden us to kill, except in cases dictated by Islamic law; consuming orphans’ wealth; consuming riba; fleeing from the battlefield; and slandering chaste, innocent women.”  

Unless whoever told you this is confusing it with Islamic Ruqya (i.e. removing witchcraft sihr through Islamic methods by an islamically qualified, competent and knowledgeable person who knows the rules). This is allowed.

... And why is it haram in the first place to practice black magic involving jinns? (Don’t worry, it’s only for research purposes).

If you want to research this then the internet is full of (trusted) sources, including the first 10 islamqa links here:

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 5:01am
“And they learn that which harms them and benefits them not” [al-Baqarah 2:102]. As Allah has affirmed that witchcraft is harmful and has stated that there is no benefit in it, how can it be permissible to learn that which is pure harm and in which there is no benefit?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic