IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Revert Story, Share your Journey to Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Revert Story, Share your Journey to Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Revert Story, Share your Journey to Islam
    Posted: 01 November 2019 at 9:19pm

I’m trying to procrastinate, and I’ve wanted to write this for a while while, I’ll try to keep this short and organized.

Why did you leave islam?

Honestly, it was western culture influence in the end of the day, clashing with my own cultural influence (at the time, I thought it was clashing with Islam). Whenever I had questions about Islam, or Allah, if Islam was the right religion, I was told “go pray, shaytan is talking, not you”. I would go pray, and still have these questions. This would happen even in Ramadan, when shaytan is supposed to be locked away. What was their excuse now, I thought. I figured that nobody had these answers and just stopped caring. That’s the scary part, I didn’t really notice when I stopped having faith, I just didn’t care anymore and wanted to live my life free of restrictions.

Okay, but that’ll never happen to me

Inshallah. But let me tell you, I not only thought I was the exception, I knew I was the exception, even though I knew everybody thought they were the exception. I would literally wake my mom up to pray, I would go to the mosque, I would explain the answers to the questions I had to people asking me (albeit, in a manner that was unsatisfactory to myself)

So why did you decide to revert?

Like most people, something happened that made me question existence. My initial thoughts were, hey , you’re a bit shaken up, but if you start reverting back to Islam, it just proves that you’re doing it because you’re scared and don’t actually believe. Its not genuine, and you’re not thinking rationally and coming from a place of weakness. I’m only saying this because I try to analyse everything from a completely unbiased standpoint. The most important thing you can maintain in your personal journey is to be aware of your complexes and biases, and to constantly assess them.

So what convinced you ultimately to revert

There were way too many things to really type out. Reflection. Reflection. Reflection. Reflection. Reflection. That, education and asking to be guided, are the only things you really can do. My journey was my own, and what convinced me, likely won’t convince you. There are tons of great resources online, and great people who are willing to help. I am not really one of them, as I don’t think I am educated enough to help anyone as of yet.

One thing I will say however, is to set a limit to how much proof you need, before taking a next step. For example, if you asked me whats 1 + 1? I would say 2. You say why? Well that’s how addition works by definition, if you have one apple and get another, you have 2. You say, okay but why does it work like that? Then I would show some proofs explaining why it works. Then you ask, okay but why do those proofs work? You see where I am going with this? I know its hard to set a limit of acceptable proof, and you will hunger for more depending on the person you are, but that’s your journey.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic