IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hello new member here  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello new member here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male Agnostic
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Fredrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello new member here
    Posted: 20 October 2019 at 9:25pm
As'Salaamu Alaikum all

I'm a young guy who ventured through different websites over time looking for some intelligent discussions regarding various subjects. I've recently left one website that was really hostile to Muslims which was unfair considering there were Muslims that were really nice. Although I'm agnostic I do have an affinity with Muslim principles and theology I do believe there is one deity who has dominion over the Earth and over the heavens. Despite my beliefs in some of the Islamic principles, I do have doubts, but I'm open to learn and discuss them......Thank you all again!
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2019 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Hans Fredrick Hans Fredrick wrote:

I'm always of the belief that you should never join any organization unless you are absolutely sure and that you believe absolutely its tenants. However philosophically there are some things about Islam that I question and others I downright disagree with. In the following I'll list my issues as well as my reasons for believing in them:

1) If you're a person of another religious belief you're doomed to hell

-It's hard for me to believe that if someone chooses another faith other than Islam as the Qur'an states "it will not be accepted of him." With so many interpretations of Islam and fiqh how does one grasp the correct truth of it all when there are various interpretations of eschatology? Furthermore, it is hard to believe that God takes an absolutist position to disregard a non-Muslim moral person and condemn them to hell fire.

2) I don't want to pray 5 times a day as if I'm performing a chore

-I often think when I perform the ritual of prayer I don't want it to feel as if I'm doing a chore. I want the feeling that I'm getting closer to God.

3) I often feel the greater Muslim community still deals with racism however many believe it is not sufficient enough to warrant a global response.

-If been in mosques and Jummah prayers where it seems it is often segregated by country and ethnicity.

I have many others but this is just off top of my head

Hi Hans,

I just would like to add a few comments, in addition to what my respected brothers have said in your other post, as well as comment on the following quote from this post:

...I've recently left one website that was really hostile to Muslims which was unfair considering there were Muslims that were really nice...
from here:

https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?FID=112&TID=44129&PN=1

If you look through the history of Mankind, you will find that people who hold the Truth (usually the minority) have always been persecuted, rejected, mistreated and hated by the rest of their societies. Prophets suffered most... even though they were sent to guide people to the right path... i.e. to the correct way that they should be living their lives according to the Will of the Lord Creator (Allah SWT) Who Put them here on Earth in the first place... by following His Instructions... to the letter.

[Analogy to explain: Think of Prophets (PBUT) and the Books that were sent with them as Guides...User's Guides... If you buy a household item such as a Washing Machine (or anything else like a food processor, a computer, a complicated building or farming machinery or power tool...etc), You are always strongly recommended to read the User's Guide and follow it meticulously in order to avoid damage,  injury and harm to yourself as well as to the machine itself (for example: Use 220 Volts, not 380 Volts, or: Unplug the machine before replacing any blades...etc). Would you ignore the User's guide completely? Would you decide to ignore all of (or even some of) the operating instructions?... if you do (decide to ignore them), then it's only fair to face the consequences, and even the Guarantee may become 'void'.

On the other hand, the manufacturers have spent time, money and effort to write the instructions... in order for you to follow them... and they will not be happy (quite rightly) when you don't... and then decide to complain or 'sue' them.]. End of Analogy. 

ولله المثل ال�£على      English translation: while to God applies the highest attribute

I hope that the following points will help answer some of your doubts:

1. Allah SWT Has Created us and Gave us Guidance (Prophets, Books) on how to lead our lives in accordance with His Will (i.e. submit to His Will... which is the meaning of the word 'Islam').

2. Throughout history, you will find that some people have submitted and complied, and others decided not to comply (or complied only partly)

3. The Quran tells us that those who comply and carry out Allah's instructions have indeed succeeded, and therefore have earned Paradise forever... Whilst those who fail to comply fully with Allah's instructions will have to take responsibility for the consequences and only have themselves to blame.

4. This life is a test (exam), and to succeed we have to make an effort and experience some endurance and hardship (just like any students eager to pass). That is because Paradise does not come 'cheap'.
Nevertheless, having said that, all the Muslims that I know... don't see praying 5 times as performing a 'chore'... they actually enjoy carrying out all acts of worship tremendously (so much so that the majority of Muslims do much more than the 5 compulsory prayers: they perform lots of voluntary ones as well... daily)... Trust me: it grows on you! 

5. Prayer in Islam is called Salah, which translates literally as 'link'. We pray 5 times a day in order to keep renewing that link with the Almighty Allah SWT... and maintain Him at the centre of our daily life.

Please let me know if I have missed something.

Hans Fredrick View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male Agnostic
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Fredrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:37pm
You haven't addressed my points. You're preaching to me instead of addressing the nature of doubt in my mind. If I have doubt, referring to Allah, the Qur'an and the rules in between is not convincing. Address the issue I'm referring to.

I said (numerically)

You said:

Allah SWT Has Created us and Gave us Guidance (Prophets, Books) on how to lead our lives in accordance with His Will (i.e. submit to His Will... which is the meaning of the word 'Islam').

Ok I get that, but that is not convincing, no more than a Christian telling me Jesus died for my sins and if I believe in him I'll get everlasting life. Sure, God gave Jews the Torah, Christians, the Bible and Muslims the Qur'an however all believe they are truthful. How do I discern truth from falsehood? I can't because both people within all three religions espouse truth. I literally had a speaker of a mosque shortly after 9/11 tell my philosophy classmates "whoever is not Muslim will go to hell" okay so how am I suppose to convert to a faith out of fear? That's not love that is compulsion. That is almost like me asking a woman to love me and if she doesn't I'll kill her.

I said:

You said:

2) Throughout history, you will find that some people have submitted and complied, and others decided not to comply (or complied only partly).

This is compulsion, not love. I find nothing wrong with submitting to the Creator but the way you explained it here was bad.

I said:

3) I often feel the greater Muslim community still deals with racism however many believe it is not sufficient enough to warrant a global response.

You said:

3. The Quran tells us that those who comply and carry out Allah's instructions have indeed succeeded, and therefore have earned Paradise forever... Whilst those who fail to comply fully with Allah's instructions will have to take responsibility for the consequences and only have themselves to blame.

This addressed nothing about the racism that exist in the Muslim community that I've encountered. Again, you're preaching to me instead of reading my concerns and talking to me.

Alas, I appreciate your response but I feel like you're doing more preaching instead of talking to me and addressing the concerns as if we are at a coffee house or something. Thank you again.

GodInyou View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male Other
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodInyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 5:48am
Yo mine brothers What's up ? )))
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 10:49pm

You haven't addressed my points. You're preaching to me instead of addressing the nature of doubt in my mind. If I have doubt, referring to Allah, the Qur'an and the rules in between is not convincing. Address the issue I'm referring to.

I said (numerically)

You said:

Allah SWT Has Created us and Gave us Guidance (Prophets, Books) on how to lead our lives in accordance with His Will (i.e. submit to His Will... which is the meaning of the word 'Islam').

Ok I get that, but that is not convincing, no more than a Christian telling me Jesus died for my sins and if I believe in him I'll get everlasting life. Sure, God gave Jews the Torah, Christians, the Bible and Muslims the Qur'an however all believe they are truthful. How do I discern truth from falsehood? I can't because both people within all three religions espouse truth. I literally had a speaker of a mosque shortly after 9/11 tell my philosophy classmates "whoever is not Muslim will go to hell" okay so how am I suppose to convert to a faith out of fear? That's not love that is compulsion. That is almost like me asking a woman to love me and if she doesn't I'll kill her.

I said:

You said:

2) Throughout history, you will find that some people have submitted and complied, and others decided not to comply (or complied only partly).

This is compulsion, not love. I find nothing wrong with submitting to the Creator but the way you explained it here was bad.

I said:

You said:

This addressed nothing about the racism that exist in the Muslim community that I've encountered. Again, you're preaching to me instead of reading my concerns and talking to me.

Alas, I appreciate your response but I feel like you're doing more preaching instead of talking to me and addressing the concerns as if we are at a coffee house or something. Thank you again.

You said:
If you're a person of another religious belief you're doomed to hell.

Answer:
Yes, because only one religion blessed by Allah is Islam (the religion of the Prophets and Apostles). don't you believe it? or because you don't know what Islam is ?

You said:
How do I discern truth from falsehood? I can't because both people within all three religions espouse truth.

Answer:
Don't you know why the Quran was revealed?
All the contents of the Torah and the Gospels are true came from Allah when the time of the Prophet Moses was still alive and the Prophet Jesus before raised to heaven. But not the Torah and the Gospels that exist today.

You said:
"whoever is not Muslim will go to hell" okay so how am I suppose to convert to a faith out of fear? That's not love that is compulsion. That is almost like me asking a woman to love me and if she doesn't I'll kill her.

Answer:
Assume if you don't comply with all applicable laws and regulations in your Country, what will happen to you? 
Likewise, all life in this universe, 
Surely there is someone who is able to regulate it with all the laws and regulations that He made.
Do you think that is coercion and not love?
But it is with the Quran that Allah shows His love.
Allah provides guidance so that humans can achieve His love.
Did you create the woman ?
If not, that means you have no right to kill her.

You said:
I don't want to pray 5 times a day as if I'm performing a chore.

Answer:
It's up to you whether you want to pray (salah) or not, because you do not understand the secret behind the prayer yet. So it is not compulsion.

You said:
"I often feel the greater Muslim community still deals with racism however many believe it is not sufficient enough to warrant a global response."
You said:
"The Quran tells us that those who comply and carry out Allah's instructions have indeed succeeded, and therefore have earned Paradise forever... Whilst those who fail to comply fully with Allah's instructions will have to take responsibility for the consequences and only have themselves to blame."

Answer:
There is no racism in Islam, as for Muslims in your environment like racism, then you must remember that the most noble people before Allah are those who are pious. Not because of the nation, ethnicity, culture, appearance etc.

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 11:42pm

I just would like to add to Asep's good post above.

...You're preaching to me...

You've come to an 'Islamic' website... therefore surely you must expect replies (to your questions) from an Islamic point of view. Sorry if you consider that as 'preaching'.

... how am I suppose to convert to a faith out of fear? That's not love that is compulsion ...

1) Nobody is forcing you to convert into anything. What you follow in life is your own choice... so only follow what you are convinced with.

2) Some people will fear futile things in life, but they won't fear God, The Almighty, The All-Powerful, The Creator of Everything that we know and Everything that we do not know. Fear of God (Allah SWT) is at the heart of our religion (Islam). In fact, the Qur'an tells us about the feelings that a Muslim should have towards God (Allah SWT). TWO of these feeling are particularly important: Fear and Hope (Aspiration)... i.e. Fear of Allah's Punishment... and Hope for His rewards (on the Day of Judgment): 

[Qur'an 7:56] And cause not corruption upon the earth after its reformation. And invoke Him in fear and aspiration. Indeed, the mercy of Allah is near to the doers of good.

[Qur'an 32:16] Who forsake their beds to cry unto their Lord in fear and hope, and spend of that We have bestowed on them.

3) Some rules, regulations and instructions in life are to be followed strictly... one must not see them as compulsion (even if they appear to be a chore). For example: a worker (doctor, say) must attend work at 8am sharp, a school military/college student must wear a uniform, a person working on electrics must wear gloves and avoid water...etc. Would you refuse to abide by the rules in these examples and others?... well if you do then expect consequences.

... I don't want to pray 5 times a day as if I'm performing a chore...

Same answer as (3) above

asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 1:16am
Originally posted by MIAW MIAW wrote:

I just would like to add to Asep's good post above.

Thank you MIAW, may Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala always bless you and protect you wherever you are.
�£مين يارب العالمين
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic