IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4 Sister Sarah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 Sister Sarah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Sister Sarah
    Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:29pm

Topic:

To Sarah (1 of 1), Read 42 times

Conf:

Islam: How I Became Muslim

peaceinislam

Date:

Wednesday, January 05, 2005 10:48 AM

Hope you don't mind Sister Sarah... I've copied your post and am moving it to a new thread (so it won't get lost in the other tread).

Date: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 05:25 AM

I have been reading all your stories and it has made me very emotional. I have recently become interested in Islam and becoming a muslim.

Might I be among the other posters who've congratulated you on your Islamic interest. I hope Allah continues to guide you to Islam.

Note: once you do recite the shahada (declaration of faith), one must perform ghusl (Islamic bath) before reciting your first prayer... you must also know when and how to do it. You don't have to make ghusl every time you go to pray: only under certain circumstances (after your monthly cycle or relations with your spouse). Making wudu (ablutions) isn't a complete bodily cleansing, but needs to be done before prayers if ghusl isn't required.

I recommend you concentrate on these things first (ghusl, wudu, and prayer). After these (and learning what else is fard), you may move onto learning the sunnah (recommended). It'll be easier for you this way. Why? Because fard is what's obligatory. Sunnah is recommended (and there are two types: recommended and highly recommended). Since sunnah isn't obligatory, get comfortable with what is, then move onto the rest.

* * I haven't told my parents as they would be very against the idea, esp my father.

Many people have gone through the same thing as you. You are not alone. Hang in there, ask Allah for guidance, and try to find a good group of Muslims whom can help you. Since you're in University, there should be an Islamic organization called Muslim Student Association (MSA for short). Try to find it on campus so you can connect with Muslim students. I'm sure they can help you greatly.

* * I have been researching Islam and have just started to read the Qur'an but everything seems so confusing to me at the moment. I dont feel I have a basis to build upon and therefore everything I read just confuses me further.

Since you are vague here, I am unable to help you at the moment. If you specify what's confusing, then we on the Board can help you, insha Allah (Allah willing).

* * After reading these stories of other converts I admire you so much, I have so much to learn and so much motivation but I just dont know where to start.

Beginning at the beginning is usually a great place! ;) Tee hee! But if it helps, we all had to start somewhere. Again, if you look into the MSA organization, that may be a great source of information for you.

* * I would be grateful of any help you can provide me, or if anyone could point me in the direct of a starting point cos i just seem to have jumped right in. I want to learn so much but my methods and weighing me down.

Allah doesn't place a burden on us that's greater than we can bear. We all go through things at certain times for certain reasons, and even if we disagree with it or don't like the timing... it always works out to be the best for us (Allah's always great with these things). Thus, don't think of it as a negative thing, but a positive learning process while you're still in the University.

* * I would be grateful of any help you can provide. Take Care Sarah

I can only hope this has helped you. Again, feel free to ask questions to us here on the Board. If you'd like other websites, ask and insha Allah (Allah willing), everyone will post what they think is great. :)

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic