IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reasons why people choose to be Muslims  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reasons why people choose to be Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khalid Ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasons why people choose to be Muslims
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:32am
Assalamualaikum I am a practicing Muslim and recently I have begun questioning to myself why I chose to be a Muslim over other religions. Truth be told I only followed Islam because I was brought up in a Muslim family and hence I never questioned. I am not the most intelligent person and failed in education. I understand the Quran is seen as a miracle with lots of scientific, historical facts and unrivalled use of linguistic devices and is usually the main reason why most people accept Islam. However, when I question any Muslim friends, family or peer they don't really understand the science or history of the Quran and can only point to online sources mostly written by other Muslims. Now, I tried reading these online sources and I find understanding them too difficult and very hard to read for extended period of time (mostly because my mind just wonders off or gets bored no matter how hard I try). In addition to this I can easily find other sources written by people from other faiths rebutting these statements, which are equally difficult to understand; as I have stated I am not the most cleverest individual. Being incapable of understanding either sources how can I decide which is correct and which is wrong. Most articles are written by experts in their field who have possibly studied years in to these subjects, who am I with limited knowledge to say they are wrong. Currently I simply believe articles in favour of the miracles of the Quran simply because I am a Muslim or it was written by a Muslim. I am sure the average Muslim are very similar to me and also would favour material defending the integrity of the Quran, that is because most people lack the expertise to understand complex scientific concepts or even understand Arabic (let alone the Quranic Arabic); therefore simply agree with the material that suits their belief system. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that imply that only people of knowledge can truly find the correct religion as they can filter through all the myriad of information available to conclude which is the correct path to God. However, if we look at our world we see that even amongst the greatest most knowledgeable people there are disagreement. As a consequence the average individual with the average knowledge are expected to dig through the materials written by others and try to understand and come to a conclusion on whether it is correct or not. How can we then blame each individual for not finding the correct path or going astray; as it is difficult to find the correct path to the correct religion when we can barely understand what we believe in. I understand that the Quran is supposed to be the guide for humanity sent by god, but can we truly say that this is the best guide god could have sent to us. Most Muslims don't understand the Quran at a deeper level i.e. The context, meaning and etc. Instead we rely on Scholars who may have biased views to tell us these meanings. We know that humans can make errors and this can lead division amongst Muslims and create extremists that hijack the religion. If the Quran was truly the best guide that God could have given us then why is it so unclear. I find it strange that the Quran fails to mention basic fundamentals of Islam such as how to perform Salat, Wudhu (ablution) or how to calculate Zakat. So I guess my point is how can I determine for myself If Islam is the correct religion and the others are wrong, without understanding all these complex science, history, philosophy, Quran literature etc. Or do I just continue to believe like a sheep with no strong foundation for my belief. Ultimately, I am confused and unsure why I am a Muslim, I truly believe Islam is the correct religion but it would be hypocritical of me to simply believe in Islam out of gut instinct; as anyone from other faiths can use the same reason to believe in their religion. For these reasons I sometimes start to think is Islam just another religion and I am just a follower of it as a Christian is a follower of Christianity, etc. If so how do I know who is following the correct religion? Its easy to look at a material showing inaccuracies in the bible and to conclude that Christianity is false, but then disagree to an material citing inaccuracies in the Quran without even having any way to rebuttal the claims. I am sure many people reading this Post do understand the Quran, have strong understanding of science, the History of the Quran and more. However, I ask you to remember not every Muslim possess the same Intellect and therefore may simply be following Islam ignorantly. Please answer my question with that in mind.
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 10:03pm
Wa'alaykum salaam,
Khalid Ahmed, you should not be confused with what is on your mind. Here are four suggestions for you including:
1. Please see my article in this forum on "General Discussion"
2. If you study the teachings of Islam, please don't look at the behavior of some Muslims, but study its teachings (the Quran and Sahih Hadith), because not all Muslims have implemented Islamic law.
3. Learn the teachings of Islam, hopefully Allah will give His help to you, so that you will get ease in learning it. Aameen.
4. Do your best for Allah and all human beings. (The most fundamental Islamic teachings).
Insha Allah, you will find the answer:
"Why am I a muslim ?"

Wassalam,
asep
Hammm View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2019 at 11:53am
Wa'alaykum salaam,
I was recently faced with this same exact question, however for me it came when someone else asked me why I am a Muslim. This was someone who was willing to convert, for my sake but not became they actually believed in God. I felt that I was left with two choices, either ask them to join Islam despite not believing or showing them why I believe and inspire them to find Islam as useful of a tool as I do, so that they open their eyes to Islam.

For me, I had to go back to the very beginning and ask myself "why am I a Muslim? What do I gain personally from being a Muslim or am I just one because my parents told me that I was one? Do I not have a concussion or a mind that would have told me that all of this was a hoax (I'm a very technical person who likes following reason and logic)? Why do I feel at ease after praying if I indeed know that there is not physical evidence that religion is real? Would my life be better if I did not have this trust and faith? Would my mental health be better or worse (and the answer to that one was worse without a doubt and so I started there)?

I think who people use Islam and religion to try and understand and map everything works, people who have not dedicated their entire lives to studying the Quran/religion, are more looking for evidence that there is a God. If we were all able to understand God, no if even as much as a single person was able to complete God or even a small percentage, They wouldnt be much of a God, would They? Scholars delicate their lives to studying specific topics, no one scholar knows everything just like there is no one scientist who knows everything. And that for me is the great thing about Islam, there is no one straight way of thinking or one way to do things and so you're constantly encouraged to research, listen to other and listen to other people's experiences and learn from them. That is how you grow in Islam and subsequently how you grow as a person. 

I think that we should use Islam to help us understand ourselves better and how we can be the best versions of ourselves... And the way to do that is through appreciating yourself and the life you were given (which is enhanced on a completely different level when you be believe that there is a Merciful and Compassionate God out there who wants nothing but the best for us are we willing to take responsibility for our lives). And to do this we should start with ourselves and our day to day lives, our relationships, learn about our desire and why we have them. Are they good for us, if not? Is there a tool that God has created to make thing easier for me. (For example someone who has a habit of staying out late doing nonsense, God created salat that regulates that automatically if you pray 5 times a day). Start by seeing how Islam improves your day to day life, then your future (things like being able to make decisions with more confidence because of salat Istikhara) and then for the afterlife, or at least how you wish to feel on your death bed. We humans have no manual for how one is supposed to live life but I think most people would agree that they'd like to feel accomplished and like they do not have any regrets, by following Islam and staying true to your faith and heart, I think one can definitely accomplish that. Grow to old age with some peace.

Aslo other religion have things like "one must pay money"/"one can't join unless ones mother was of that reglion"/ "uprise other humans and deeming other lesser for no reason"... For me Islam is more inclusive than most other religion. Everyone is welcome and everyone is equal. 

Sorry for the long text and the bad English! 
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2019 at 6:31pm
Hamm, sorry do you just want to explain why I converted to Islam or want to ask?
I cannot understand the direction you have described in your writing ...
Wassalam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic