IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covering Head in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covering Head in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMuslimIsAll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covering Head in Islam
    Posted: 07 November 2018 at 6:45pm
Hi Sisters!

I started covering my head when I was 18 - out my own will. I was going to a weekend class that taught us about Islam - history, seerah, etc etc. As I had a group of friends who all covered their heads and the general lesson being taught to us was that covering the head is the right Islamic way, I picked it up as well. 

However, now - 10 years later - I don't see the logic of covering our heads. What's mentioned in the Quran on covering our bodies and modest way of dressing doesn't clearly specify head. And there are many interpretations that contradict each other. 

At the end of the day, if I simply look at the most basic reason of why Islam asks us to cover ourselves - i.e. to not attract the opposite sex - I feel covering my head doesn't serve the purpose. I have been eve teased, touched, groped, leched at and all that even after having a hijab, a full hand loose fitting clothes that go all the way down to my feet and don't reveal anything. So I don't think my God will pointlessly ask me to cover my head to control someone else's behaviour. My God, Allah has created me and my hair for me to be thankful to him and covering it up just doesn't make any sense to me. 

In the course of my search for better knowledge as to why others do it I came across this TED Talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5bDhMP9lQ - and I felt it made sense. Its logical and I think this is the way My God would've intended things for us. 

So I am here to try to learn why you guys do or do not cover your hair. I want to learn this for myself this time and not blindly follow a group of friends or teachers. Hopefully, the path I choose in the end will be the right one Inshallah. 

Peace! :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic