IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the (Voluntary) Fasting?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the (Voluntary) Fasting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islamkingdom_English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the (Voluntary) Fasting?
    Posted: 07 November 2018 at 1:09am

Non-obligatory Voluntary Fasting

These include all forms of optional fasts that are performed in order to be closer to Allah, the Exalted.

Supererogatory fasts comprise great virtues and magnificent rewards. In a Qudsi hadeeth reported by Abu Hurayrah, the Prophet ﷺ said: “Indeed every righteous deed by the son of Adam is rewarded from ten to seven hundred times, but Allah Almighty says: ‘Fasting is an exception. This is because it is for Me and I shall reward (the one who fasts) accordingly.’” [ Agreed upon.]

Days on which Voluntary Fasting is Recommended

The bright days in every month

The bright days

These are the 13th, 14th and 15th days of every Islamic month. They are referred to as bright days because their nights are brightened by the light of the moon.

It is authenticated that Abd al-Malik ibn al-Minhal conveyed from his father that the Prophet ﷺ ordered them to fast the three “bright” days. He said, “It is [equivalent] to fasting the entire month.” [ Source: Ibn Habban.]

- Fasting on Monday and Thursday of every week

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet ﷺ said: “Deeds are reported to Allah Almighty on every Monday and Thursday; and I like that my deeds are reported while I am fasting.” [ Source: Tirmidhi.]

- Fasting on alternative days

The best form of supererogatory fast is the fast of Prophet Dawud (peace be upon him). He used to fast a day and take a break the next day. Abdullah ibn ‘Amr reported the Prophet ﷺ to have said: “The best form of fasting is the fasting of Dawud (peace be upon him); he used to fast a day and take a break on the next (day).” [ Source: An-Nasaii.]

source: https://www.al-feqh.com/en/voluntary-fasting-and-non-obligatory-supererogatory-fasting

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic