IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Naming my first Son.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naming my first Son.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AneesMoha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naming my first Son.
    Posted: 21 August 2018 at 12:42am
As-salamu alaykum

My wife and I have been blessed with the news that our 3rd (and final) child will  be a boy. 

Since we found out about our first child before we know the gender I was set on the name Khan however since my first two children are perfect little daughters we chose the names Layla and Aliyah for them. 

When asked what I was thinking of naming my son I said Khan. And once again my mother was upset because she says that it is a Jewish name (There is a Jewish Family in our area with the surname spelled Kahn).

My Question is whether it is permissible for me to name my son Khan. Or is this forbidden or disliked as a muslim name.
Atra View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 10:42am
As far as I know, it's not forbidden to name kids by common Jewish and Muslim names. Many prophets have so-called Jewish names, also some female names like Hannah, Sarah are common names. Hannah was mother of Maryam as and Sarah was Ibrahim's wife, mother of Ishak. 

Also Layla is Jewish name too :) My mother wanted to name me Layla, with a different pronunciation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic