IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I give up music?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I give up music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salaam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I give up music?
    Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:39pm
Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Music has been one of my passions for a long time, and I am aware of many people calling music haram, I don't want to say music is halal or haram. And I fear that I am defying Allah (while liking music) which is something that I absolutely do not ever want to do. I've heard and read that music is classified as 'haram' because it leads people away from the path or remembrance of Allah. However, when I listen to music, it has the opposite affect on me as of late. I can understand idle talks leading people away from the path or remembrance of Allah. However, I don't think *all* music should be classified as idle talk. There is good, positive music out there. It makes me thank Allah for such a beautiful creation, what with different melodies and sounds coming together to make something delightful. I think it's beautiful that Allah created something that not only is pleasing to the ears, but it helps us remember things (educational songs) and remember good times (listening to a song you listened to in the past that was during a good time in your life can make you feel happy). Am I wrong for thinking this way? And I know people say 'why not listen to recitation of the Qur'an?' I can't understand Arabic, so I don't see the point. If I were to listen to an Arabic recitation of the Qur'an, I would like to be able to understand it so I could feel it not just in my ears but in my heart, otherwise my brain would just listen to it the same way it listens to instrumental music. I enjoy reading the Qur'an a lot more. 

Although, I do not listen to music now as much as I used to, rather, I produce my own music now more than I listen to other people's music. My Imaan wasn't always as strong as Insha'Allah it is now, and I would listen to whatever sounded cool and if it had lyrics I would repeat them and sing along mindlessly, and at the time I didn't have a problem with profanity (not just cursing but the promotion of haram things like drinking and adultery, but I felt like I knew I would never do any of those things, and Alhamdulillah I haven't to this day, but Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala knows best). When I started to get closer to Islam, profanity and everything to do with it became repulsive to me and I no longer can tolerate music that involves it. Most of the music I listen to now is electronic or instrumental, and sometimes rock music as well, but I don't listen to music mindlessly anymore, I try to listen to what the lyrics are saying (if there are any) and if they are positive and not pointless, then I'll listen. I don't listen to music in situations where I could be doing something better, though, meaning, I wouldn't prioritize it over Salat or Qur'an. I'll listen to it in the car most of the time, or while I skateboard I'll listen to it, and sometimes I would listen to it while doing schoolwork (or any other busy work of the like), or if I'm waiting for something, or to relieve stress. I dance by myself sometimes to relieve stress as well and I'll blast music through my headphones while doing so, or another outlet I use to relieve stress is playing the video game Rockband and I'll play the drums or guitar or sing with a microphone to what are mostly rock songs. Sometimes songs that I listen to (at any time) do involve profanity but it'll only be a little bit instead of to the point where it's ridiculous or it'll be a few curse words that the singer felt he/she needed to use to drive home the point of whatever they were singing about. More often then not, though, I listen to the instrumental part of a song more than the lyrics (if there are lyrics in what I am listening to). If the lyrics ever get to me, it's often times not the meaning of the words but the way they are being said; the flow, if you will. I won't get influenced (negatively) by music anymore Insha'Allah Alhamdulillah. Whenever I hear something nasty or ridiculously or unnecessarily profane (in music or otherwise) it just makes me feel sad and whatever good mood there was is ruined (for me, at least). 

When I produce my own music, it in the past it has been mostly instrumental, like hip-hop beats with some voice samples in there from cartoons I liked to watch. And the more research I did about our Deen, the more I realized how important is for things to have a point, and to be positive. My music didn't really mean anything. The voice samples were random; they didn't mean anything or necessarily allude to anything specific. The majority of the electronic music that I have made didn't have any message, it was just sounds. The song I am working on now is my first punk rock style song, and I play all the instruments in it, including vocals. I played the guitar for real, and played the drums and bass electronically. The song is about how most music today doesn't mean anything positive, how it most of it promotes drugs and drinking and adultery/illegal fornication, and how too many of the human population just mindlessly listen to it without a care about what it does to them or how it influences them, and how this epidemic of the state of the music industry is affecting people. The lyrics of my song raise awareness to this topic, and then I also encourage people to do good deeds and to stay away from evil (that phrase is basically one of the verses of my song). I am serious about indulging in music as a career, but I'll only do it if it's in a way that can please Allah. That's all I care about at this point. I am going to college next month for marketing, but I chose that as a major so I could learn how to market myself as an artist. Should I just give it all up and use my degree to get a regular job? If I go into music as a profession, my songs would only ever promote good, positive things! Please give me your honest opinion on my situation. All help and replies are appreciated. Please forgive me for the lengthy post, I just really want my situation to be understood. 

JazakAllah Khair

Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 7:50pm
Wa alaikum salam,
there is no Quranice statement that declares music haram. The statements attributed to the Prophet prohibiting music, if authentic, have to be seen in the social context. The prophet himself allowed the women of Ansar to play the music and at one occasion himself heard the music.
What is prohibited is the misuse of music to promote ideas that are contrary to the divine guidance.
Also, the music like anything else should not take the precedence over out religious duties.

Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 7:51pm
Salam,

Yusuf Islam (Cat Steven) in the beginning of his conversation to Islam, he left music totally, later on till now he plaid music again for th purpose of doing "dawah".

I am not a scholar, IMHO, to me music is acceptable is as long as is not introduce violent and the lyric is halal (not use bad words etc) and also the intention of your creation is good if you are a composer.
Just imagine if we watch a movie without any music, how boring it is.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 6:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic