IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Criticism of Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Criticism of Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Criticism of Islam
    Posted: 04 June 2018 at 5:33am
Why is Islam, uniquely among the world's major religions, so hostile to criticism?
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Fender Fender wrote:

Why is Islam, uniquely among the world's major religions, so hostile to criticism?

I think that you'll find it's the other way around. 'Critics' are so hostile towards Islam, but not (so much) towards other religions. 

If anyone is genuinely interested in asking (politely) about Islam, then some of us will do their best to answer (albeit with our limited knowledge for some). However some people's intention is to attack not ask.

Muslims from around the world vary tremendously; some are more tolerant than others. I believe that there are many things that they can learn from non-Muslims (and vice-versa), as long as their religion and symbols are respected. (It's not what you do... it's the way that you do it!).

There are very strict limits and boundaries that we adhere to when speaking about or describing our symbols (The All-Mighty God Allah, Prophet Muhammad, Qur'an, Other Prophets of God, Angels, Companions and Wives of our Prophet...etc). Other people don't feel that they should adhere to these restrictions and limits, so they choose to speak about them in a demeaning and disrespectful way... and that's where we clash.

Muslims believe firmly that every human will be held accountable for everything that they believe, say or do in their lifetime. For those who are successful, the rewards are greater and more blissful than we can imagine. For those who are unsuccessful, the punishment is more severe than we can imagine. This is emphasized in the Qur'an time and time again, so that no one can say: "oh... I didn't know".

So if you want to criticize me (as a Muslim person), then go ahead... you will probably be right... for I am nowhere near perfect. However, if you intend to 'criticize' my symbols, then please be very subtle about it, because I love them so much that I am very likely to be offended otherwise.

In other words: Be a nice Fender, not an OFFenderSmile

Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:24am
Maybe because it’s still the only religion which still kills and orders the death of apostates, orders criminal laws that are incompatible with modern day society and law, and Islam condones the humiliation of non Muslims within its sphere of influence. So really this question isn’t really a very hard one to think on.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:09am
and of course the obvious questions here are   1.what is reasonable to be offended about and  2.what is a reasonable response to someone offending you?
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by MIAW MIAW wrote:

I think that you'll find it's the other way around. 'Critics' are so hostile towards Islam, but not (so much) towards other religions. 

If anyone is genuinely interested in asking (politely) about Islam, then some of us will do their best to answer (albeit with our limited knowledge). However some people's intention is to attack not ask.

Muslims from around the world vary tremendously; some are more tolerant than others. I believe that there are many things that they can learn from non-Muslims (and vice-versa), as long as their religion and symbols are respected. (It's not what you do... it's the way that you do it!).

There are very strict limits and boundaries that we adhere to when speaking about or describing our symbols (The All-Mighty God Allah, Prophet Muhammad, Qur'an, Other Prophets of God, Angels, Companions and Wives of our Prophet...etc). Other people don't feel that they should adhere to these restrictions and limits, so they choose to speak about them in a demeaning and disrespectful way... and that's where we clash.

Muslims believe firmly that every human will be held accountable for everything that they believe, say or do in their lifetime. For those who are successful, the rewards are greater and more blissful than we can imagine. For those who are unsuccessful, the punishment is more severe than we can imagine. This is emphasized in the Qur'an time and time again, so that no one can say: "oh... I didn't know".

So if you want to criticize me (as a Muslim person), then go ahead... you will probably be right... for I am nowhere near perfect. However, if you intend to 'criticize' my symbols, then be very subtle about it, because I love them so much that I am very likely to be offended otherwise.

In other words: Be a nice Fender, not an OFFenderSmile

You should see us when we explain how christianity is drivel.

I and the others you find challenging are being extremely gentle with our comments here.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 12:03am

I would have been burnt to death many times over a few hundred years ago for freely saying the things I say in my homeland, but this is now an exchristian nation so I am still alive.

The Islamic world has had a long period where it was fairly well insulated from the outside. From challenge. Now the whole Western world is just a click away and the shock is huge.

Islam is just newer to this modern world of continual qustioning and challenge.
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 11:22pm
To know Islam read Quran,Allah has ordered us how to deal with criticism,in ch 16 v 125 of Quran,Allah says:
Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 3:39pm
A very good answer and full of meaning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic