IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To non-Muslim neighbors  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To non-Muslim neighbors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yandex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:07pm
Dear Niblo,

Quran clearly says that the Books of the Christians & Jews has been corrupted. If you insist that they can go to heaven without accepting the Quran & Muhammad, then its a contradiction. If it is not a contradiction , then "not committing sin"/ "doing good" in the verses surely includes the belief in the Quran & Muhammad which they don't. As for the Sabian who also can go to heaven, what is the Book that Allah gave them? Nobody knows.

As for Muslims scholars getting it wrong, Muslim translators getting it wrong and Muslim interpretations being wrong, I have nothing to add further, as everything speaks for itself.

Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by yandex yandex wrote:

Dear Yandex.

You began this discussion by stating: 'The author of this OP wrote that Islam doesn't look down on Christians & Jews, and I showed otherwise.’

For one last time. I demonstrated (in my first post) that the Qur’an condemns only those People of the Book who sin:

‘Those who disbelieve among the People of the Book and the idolaters were not about to change their ways until they were sent clear evidence, a messenger from God, reading out pages (blessed with) purity, containing true scriptures. (Yet) those who were given the Scripture became divided only after they were sent (such) clear evidence though all they are required to do is worship God alone, sincerely devoting their religion to Him as people of true faith, keep up the prayer, and pay the prescribed alms, for that is the true religion. Those who disbelieve among the People of the Book and the idolaters will have the Fire of Hell, there to remain. They are the worst of creation. Those who believe, and do good deeds, are the best of creation. Their reward with their Lord is everlasting Gardens graced with flowing streams, where they will stay forever. God is well pleased with them and they with Him. All this is for those who stand in awe of their Lord’ (Al-Bayyina: 1-7).

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) has made this promise; and He does not renege on His promises. If you - or anyone else - is discomforted by this, well, you really do need to take it up with Him. I am content to take Him at His word.

Allow me to share this:

I was raised as a Baptist in Tynewydd (Rhondda). In the 1920’s a number of Italian families moved into Glamorgan and set up shops and cafes. One of these families (the Bassini’s) settled in Tynewydd.

When Italy declared war, and joined with Germany, the UK government issued an internment order against those it deemed to be ‘enemy civilians’. This included the Bassini’s. The husband (I knew him as Jack) was taken away, but his wife and children were allowed to remain in their home (they had a café and a fish and chip shop next to each other).

One day, my grandfather was returning from work, only to discover a mob hurling abuse (and stones) at the Bassini’s and their home; at people they had once called friends. My grandfather told the mob to stop, and they did. Many years later the family’s eldest daughter (Maria) was accepted into the Carmelite Order, and my grandfather and grandmother were invited to attend the ceremony. A great honour.

My grandfather was an Elder at Blaencwm Chapel, in Tynewydd. The Elders employed the Minister.

When I was a teenager, one Minister came to my grandfather’s house. He was treated like royalty. My grandfather called him ‘Sir’. Later, I asked my grandfather why he had called this man ‘Sir’ after all, he was the Minister’s boss!

My grandfather smiled, and said: ‘I’m just an Elder. The Minister speaks the Word!’

When my grandfather died, several hundred men – of all ages – attended his funeral (women did not do so in those days). They filled the cemetery chapel, and many were weeping openly.

My grandfather was able to calm a howling mob – and move the hearts of many – not because of any legal authority (he had none), but because of his character; because of the person he was. He lived his Faith as it was meant to be lived. A Christian would say that he reflected the love of Jesus; and that it was this that made him a shining beacon to others. I would say that he reflected the love of God. He led by example rather than by argument.

Although I can no longer share all of my grandfather’s theology he remains, by far, the finest man I ever met. I have absolutely no doubt at all that he is with the Beloved; as are the many fine Christians it has been my joy to know over 72 years.

As for those (Muslims, Christians or otherwise) who disagree with me on this matter.....I really don't care. They are free to think what they like. This is all I have to say, so thank you for your time.

Have a nice day.
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:09pm
@ Niblo
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I have to admit that it is completely unclear to me how a reasonable person as you seem to be, can turn to a fairy tale religion like Islam where the self-serving purpose of the Quran is all too obvious. 
So I can only guess that this is a direct consequence  of the religious education you went through. 
In any case I do appreciate the tolerance you express, even if your stance seems to be in stark contrast with most of the muslims.

In any case, following this discussion it looks to me as if the Quran and even more the Hadiths were more of  a candy shop where enchanted kids are allowed to choose whatever they want.

Last not least: I still owe you an answer on the "almighty discussion". I was very busy the last couple of weeks ( I've even been to the UK recently), but it's not forgotten. 

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@ Niblo
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Hello Airmano.

Nice to hear from you again.

You suppose that my acceptance of the Qur’an must be: ‘A direct consequence of the religious education (I) went through.’

My religious education, as a child, was minimal. I was packed off to Sunday school (starting at the age of about six) simply to get me out of the way. I was not sent to my grandfather’s chapel, but to another called ‘Hope’. My parents visited ‘Hope’ just once a year; at the Nativity play.

At that time my parents and I lived with my maternal grandparents, and three of my mother’s adult siblings. None of these folk were in any way ‘religious’.

My religious education (proper) did not begin until I was in my teens (by then I had left my family home). That was when I first became attracted to Catholicism. I had (and still have) a love of books (inherited from the paternal side of my family). Naturally, I read as much about the Church - and its teachings - as I could lay my hands on.

Becoming a Catholic paved the way for direct communication with folk who knew their subject (Catholicism) far better than I. This is the only way to learn, after all…..from those who are better informed than oneself.    

In 1978 (having gained a BA in History, Philosophy and Logic) I became a professed Carmelite Tertiary, and remained one for ten years. During the whole of this time I was in regular contact with the Cistercian Abbey (Mount Saint Bernard) in Leicestershire; and visited often. In pursuit of a religious vocation I spent a year with the Carmelite Friars at Hazlewood Castle in Yorkshire (now a hotel), and over a year at Mount Saint Bernard Abbey. Throughout all of these years (from Tertiary onwards) I studied the usual stuff (biblical and dogmatic theology; hermeneutics; biblical criticism; canon law, and so on), and had excellent teachers. I was a Thomist, and still have a very high regard for the methodology of Aquinas; although I can no longer agree with all of his notions. When my son became a Muslim - around fourteen years ago - I thought it would be a good idea to study Islam.

I was, and remain, fascinated by religious scholarship. Perhaps if I had been a wee bit more spiritual and a wee bit less cerebral (a lot more in balance - like my grandfather, who was both spiritual and cerebral…and then some) I might have been a better Christian (and now, a better Muslim).

As for my ‘tolerance’; I owe that to experience; to the many excellent people (religious and otherwise) I have known over the decades. To say, as you do, that my tolerance seems to be: ‘In stark contrast with most of the Muslims’ is a classical example of a hasty generalisation; the making of a claim based on a limited number of examples. It invites the question: ‘Just how many Muslims do you truly know?’ I guess it won’t be that many. All the evidence points to the vast majority of Muslims being no different in their social behaviour than the vast majority of non-Muslims. They simply want to get on with their lives....peacefully.

No need to apologise for your gross neglect of our discussion! I fully understand that I am not the number one consideration in your life. By the way, whereabouts in the UK did you visit?

Take care now, and very best regards.

Paul
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

Although I can no longer share all of my grandfather’s theology he remains, by far, the finest man I ever met. I have absolutely no doubt at all that he is with the Beloved; as are the many fine Christians it has been my joy to know over 72 years.

We ask Allah, Most High, to join you with your grandfather in Paradise. How true indeed that fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 6:30am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

We ask Allah, Most High, to join you with your grandfather in Paradise. How true indeed that fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

That is so very kind of you. Thank you so much. May Allah the Exalted bless you, and all of your family, and bring each of you to Himself. I don't know what else to say, except that you have brought joy to the heart of this old man. Bless you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic