IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fasting in Rajab and Shaban  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fasting in Rajab and Shaban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fasting in Rajab and Shaban
    Posted: 21 March 2018 at 9:07pm
Assalamu alaykum Dr. Aslam,

Now we are in Rajab and very soon Shaban will come.
My question is:

I heard many peoples talk about the specialty of the month of Rajab & Shaban. We are suggested to fast a lot in these 2 months. Is it correct, I mean is it supported by authentic hadith or Quran?

Secondly, is there any special thing (ritual) tha we have (sugested) to do on the 27th of Rajab?

Thanks
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 4:42pm
Salam alaikum,

Here is a link to an article on Shaban.

For Rajab, see the following note:
Some people asked about fasting in the month of Rajab
In the seven books of ahadith there are at least three statements attributed to the Prophet. One asserts that the Prophet forbade fasting in the month of Rajab, while the other two says it is recommended. Here are the ahadith.
Ibn ‘Abbas reported that:
The Prophet (ﷺ) forbade fasting Rajab as reported in Ibn Maja collection Book 7 and the hadith no 1815.

حَدَّثَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ الْمُنْذِرِ الْحِزَامِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا دَاوُدُ بْنُ عَطَاءٍ، حَدَّثَنِي زَيْدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الْحَمِيدِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ زَيْدِ بْنِ الْخَطَّابِ، عَنْ سُلَيْمَانَ، عَنْ �£َبِيهِ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، �£َنَّ النَّبِيَّ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ نَهَى عَنْ صِيَامِ رَجَبٍ ‏.‏

However in Sahih Muslim book 13 hadith 232, 'Uthman b. Hakim al-Ansari said:
I asked Sa'id b. Jubair about fasting In Rajab, and we were then passing through the month of Rajab, whereupon he said: I heard Ibn 'Abbas (Allah be pleased with both of them) as saying: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to observe fast (so continuously) that we (were inclined) to say that he would not break (them) and did not observe them so conti- nuously) that we (were inclined to say) that he would not observe fast.

حَدَّثَنَا �£َبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ �£َبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ نُمَيْرٍ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ نُمَيْرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا �£َبِي، حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ حَكِيمٍ ال�£َنْصَارِيُّ، قَالَ سَ�£َلْتُ سَعِيدَ بْنَ جُبَيْرٍ عَنْ صَوْمِ، رَجَبٍ - وَنَحْنُ يَوْمَئِذٍ فِي رَجَبٍ - فَقَالَ سَمِعْتُ ابْنَ عَبَّاسٍ - رضى الله عنهما - يَقُولُ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَصُومُ حَتَّى نَقُولَ لاَ يُفْطِرُ ‏.‏ وَيُفْطِرُ حَتَّى نَقُولَ لاَ يَصُومُ

In Sunan Abu Dawood, Book 14 and hadith 118 Narrated 'Uthman b. Hakim narrates from a different chain of narrators that:
I asked Sa'id b. Jubair about fasting during Rajab. He said: Ibn 'Abbas told me that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to fast to such an extent that we thought that he would never break his fast; and he would go without fasting to such an extent that we thought he would never fast.

حَدَّثَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ مُوسَى، حَدَّثَنَا عِيسَى، حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ، - يَعْنِي ابْنَ حَكِيمٍ - قَالَ سَ�£َلْتُ سَعِيدَ بْنَ جُبَيْرٍ عَنْ صِيَامِ رَجَبَ، فَقَالَ �£َخْبَرَنِي ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ، �£َنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم كَانَ يَصُومُ حَتَّى نَقُولَ لاَ يُفْطِرُ وَيُفْطِرُ حَتَّى نَقُولَ لاَ يَصُومُ ‏.‏

Some scholars call one or the other hadith weak and then give a ruling
How can we avoid this confusion? The prophet recommended fasting on Mondays and Thursdays. Let us agree on that regardless of the month. Those who want to fast in Rajab can fast on Mondays and Thursdays even those who assert that fasting is forbidden in Rajab. Those who believe that they should fast in Rajab can add other days in addition to Mondays and Thursdays as part of the general recommendations of the Prophet.
Islamkingdom_English View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islamkingdom_English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 2:29am

Fasting in Sha’ban (the eighth month of the Islamic calendar)

“O Prophet of Allah! I have not seen you fast in any month as you do in Sha’ban.” The Prophet replied: “That is the month, between Rajab and Ramadan, about which many people are not conscious, and deeds are returned to the Lord of the worlds (during it). Thus I love that my deeds are returned to Allah Almighty while I am fasting.” [ Source: An-Nasaii.]

Regarding the prohibition contained in the Prophet’s ﷺ hadeeth, where he said: “When Sha’baan is half over, do not fast until Ramadan,” [ Source: Ibn Khuzaymah.] it either means that the prohibition is related to deliberately fasting only after the month is halfway over, or to joining Sha’baan with Ramadan. However, a person who continues fasting the second half of Sha’baan after fasting during the first part of the month and does not join that month with Ramadan in fasting, then there is nothing wrong with his fasting.

source: https://www.al-feqh.com/en/voluntary-fasting-and-non-obligatory-supererogatory-fasting

ZAHRA1234 View Drop Down
Female islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZAHRA1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 2:50am
very nice sharing its lovely thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic