IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mother in law  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mother in law

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful.Light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mother in law
    Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:30am
Assalamualaikum
Hello, I recently turned 21 I married 9 months ago and I am living with my in law for sometime until we move.I speak English and my husband family speak urdu, I don't understand urdu.they will only speak urdu but when talking to me they speak English. I know we will move out anyways but I don't want to have a bad feeling towards my mother in law after we move out. Everytime I feed my husband she will ask him if he need anything else, like I'm not giving him enough. And when we r talking she'll always ask what we r talking about. So much of those happened that I started to not like my mother in law.i tell my husband to tell her to stop doing that it makes me feel bad, but he will always defend her. When my husband goes to work my mother in law will be speaking on the phone saying my name and laughing which makes me feel uneasy. I am also tired of telling my husband cuz he will only defend her. I mostly feel like she coming in between me and my husband. My husband body is with me but mentally and emotionally he's with his family.i also feel like he stopped loving me cuz of constant complaint about his mom. I cannot consider his family as mine...I have came to dislike them.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 7:05am
Wa alaikum salaam and welcome! I think even if someone speaks and understands another language, it's always easier for them to speak their native language, which allows for greater expressiveness. Don't take it personal and you may even want to show an interest in learning Urdu yourself. This will have an endearing effect upon your mother-in-law. With respect to food and comfort of your husband don't even try to compete with his mom. The love your husband has for his mom and the love he has for his wife are two different types of love. His mom could never compete with you for the special love a man has for his wife. When overhearing a telephone conversation in which your name is mentioned consider that she is speaking well of you and not ill. Have confidence in yourself and know there's no reason she should be making fun of you. Often times we concentrate on what's has gone wrong in our day and forget all the things which are good. Find something good to say to your husband about his family and overlook those small trivial matters that may rub you the wrong way. Enjoy his parents along with him as life is short. Soon enough you will have your own place - have patience. Allah ease your burden and grant you wisdom to navigate this juncture in your life. Congrats on your marriage!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic