IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does free will exist?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does free will exist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopies622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does free will exist?
    Posted: 15 March 2018 at 7:08pm
I've been reading the Shakir English translation of the Qur'an for a while, and something is puzzling me: In Islam, do humans have free will?  

On the one hand, the Qur'an says that Allah is all powerful, but on the other it also says that He rewards or punishes humans based on their actions, which implies that people are making choices.  If Allah is all powerful, how are humans making choices?  

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help on this matter, thanks.
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:58am
Wa alaikum Salam,
Allah has set the rules and given human beings the right to either accept them or reject them As the Quran says in 76:3 We showed him the Way: whether he be grateful or ungrateful (rests on his will).
If a human being makes a choice that does not mean he is interfering in the majesty of God. All it means that he is willing to risk the consequences of what he does.

Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
snoopies622 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopies622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 4:17pm
Thank you Dr. Aslam!  That was lovely.  A follow up related question, if I may: Given that Allah is omniscient, it follows that He knows — even before we are born — all the choices that we will make.  Would you agree?  I have not found a passage in the Qur'an that says exactly this, but it seems logical to me.   
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 8:37pm
Salam,
Allah describes himself as the one who knows what is ghaib *beyond our comprehension and what is apparent. But he has given us the choice to act upon his guidance to lead a meaningful life for here and the next world. He does not control our choice but he knows the consequences of our actions.

Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic