IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ask me anything: Roman Catholic Edition  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ask me anything: Roman Catholic Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovibos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:08pm
Thanks four your answers

Originally posted by Luke6_37 Luke6_37 wrote:

1. About the Commandments - Scripture states that they are a Decalogue, but does not explicitly number them, so there is only Tradition to rely upon for how to count them. Catholics believe that Saint Augustine rightly included the prohibition on creating graven images as part of, not separate from, the first commandment against any form of idolotry. It could not have meant a blanket prohibition on the creation of statues or images in general, because then God would have violated his own law by instructing the Israelites to place the images of two cherubim on the lid of the Ark of the Covenant.
I can accept that

2. The Septuigint is far older (1,000 years) than the Masoretic text, and Greek is a better language for writing, because it contains vowels. Having said that, I think that where the two texts disagree about a word or phrase, a Biblical scholar would have other sources to consult - such as the Aramaic Targums, the Dead Sea Scrolls & the Latin Vulgate in order to resolve the issue. So it really isn't an issue of deciding just between the two.

I'm just curious, when was Adam created according to the Bible, was it 4000 BC or 5500 BC? But it's not that very important, really

3. You may not realize this while you are alive, but if you truly love God & love your neighbor you are saved, regardless of what religion you profess.
I love this

4) Matrimony is one of the seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. It restores the unity of the original Adam, before God split him into male and female, so that the procreative aspect of humanity can be unleashed. This is impossible with two people of the same gender. So while a same sex relationship may have a unitive function, it is not by definition a marriage, because there is no procreative aspect to it. I believe that same sex unions are a thing - and sometimes even a good thing, but they are not a marriage. Legally, however, it's easier to simply classify them as marriages and I don't see any reason to oppose that.
Shouldn't you be afraid that God will punish the people/nations that legalize same-sex "marriage" like He destroyed the people of Sodom and Gomorrah?
ovibos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovibos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 12:54am

The Qur'an never directly refutes the doctrine of the Trinity. It appears to not even be aware of how it is dogmatically defined. The Qur'an refutes a belief in three divine beings: Father, Son and Mary. It also states that Jesus (despite his miraculous birth and sinless nature) was no more than a human prophet. Roman Catholics agree with the Qur'an that there is only one divine being, but there is no reason for us to accept it's claim that Jesus was merely a prophet. Everything that has been handed down directly to us from the first century by Scripture and Tradition supports the Christian doctrines of the Incarnation, Crucifixion and Resurrection.  The Qur'an coming out of left field to make other claims is simply not convincing in the least.

On the contrary, the Quran refutes the doctrine of Trinity (Q 5:72,73, 4:171)

In my understanding, ilah (ﺇﻟﻪ ) in Islam, which usually translated as god, has very broad meaning.
If you love someone or something more than you love God, then he/she/it will be your ilah/god.
If you pray to or through someone (e.g. pray to/through Mary) other than God himself, then you have ilah/god besides God.
If you say something like, "Because of this dog, the thief could not break into my house yesterday", then you commit idolatry (shirk)

The Quran never states that Mary is part of Trinity. 
The Quran simply states that (some) Christians worship Mary as god besides God.
In Islam, if you think that Mary is the mother of God, then it will be considered as idolatry 
If you pray to Mother Mary and ask salvation from her, then you worship her or having her as god besides God
That also applies to prophet Muhammad. Whoever prays to Muhammad and or ask him for salvation or something like that, then he/she worships Muhammad besides Allah.
Luke6_37 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke6_37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by ovibos ovibos wrote:

The Qur'an never directly refutes the doctrine of the Trinity. It appears to not even be aware of how it is dogmatically defined. The Qur'an refutes a belief in three divine beings: Father, Son and Mary. It also states that Jesus (despite his miraculous birth and sinless nature) was no more than a human prophet. Roman Catholics agree with the Qur'an that there is only one divine being, but there is no reason for us to accept it's claim that Jesus was merely a prophet. Everything that has been handed down directly to us from the first century by Scripture and Tradition supports the Christian doctrines of the Incarnation, Crucifixion and Resurrection.  The Qur'an coming out of left field to make other claims is simply not convincing in the least.

On the contrary, the Quran refutes the doctrine of Trinity (Q 5:72,73, 4:171)

In my understanding, ilah (<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 12pt;">ﺇﻟﻪ</span> ) in Islam, which usually translated as god, has very broad meaning.
If you love someone or something more than you love God, then he/she/it will be your ilah/god.
If you pray to or through someone (e.g. pray to/through Mary) other than God himself, then you have ilah/god besides God.
If you say something like, "Because of this dog, the thief could not break into my house yesterday", then you commit idolatry (shirk)

The Quran never states that Mary is part of Trinity. 
The Quran simply states that (some) Christians worship Mary as god besides God.
In Islam, if you think that Mary is the mother of God, then it will be considered as idolatry 
If you pray to Mother Mary and ask salvation from her, then you worship her or having her as god besides God
That also applies to prophet Muhammad. Whoever prays to Muhammad and or ask him for salvation or something like that, then he/she worships Muhammad besides Allah.

I cannot personally comment on what the Qur'an itself has to say about not worshiping "three" but every Christian scholar of Islam whose work I have read states unequivocally that the actual doctrine of the Trinity does not appear anywhere in the Qur'an.

So either the Qur'an is unaware of what the actual doctrine states, or it is warning against some other heretical understanding of Jesus, such as Docetism or Arianism.

When it comes to prayer itself, that is also an interesting concept to explore. Catholics make a distinction between prayer and worship. Prayer is just mentally communicating with someone who is spiritually, but not physically present. It can be a formal type of communication, like a get well card, or an informal type of communication, like a personal letter you write to a friend. Prayer can be a part of worship, but it is not worship itself. There are some standard prayers all Catholics learn, so that we can pray together as community, but just keeping up a steady stream of consciousness directed towards God is prayer too.

When Catholics mentally communicate with Mary & the Saints, we believe they can hear us, because they have been incorporated into the mystical body of Christ. They are literally plugged into God and so can hear our prayers by His power, not their own. Since they are not dead, but transformed, they can still act in our world or add their prayers & petitions to ours.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic