IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The responsibilities of a Male in a Marriage  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The responsibilities of a Male in a Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raharja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The responsibilities of a Male in a Marriage
    Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:30am
Assalamualaikum, I have a dilemma based on the below. I don't have much of a listening ear, I would preferred an opinion that is no bias and everything, so if someone could help me out or explain things, I would be more than happy.

I am getting married to the love of my love this coming April 2018. All the preparations are in order. However as you know, leading up to the marriage, there are bound to have challenges and what not.

This girl I know is very independent, everything has to go her way. She is also stubborn which means like if she dislike something or what, she will not do it and has even tell me - don't hope that I will change when we are married, she will still be the same true self of her.

She has her sweet side as well, from the above paragraph you may think why she is the one for me.. well, when we got together as boyfriend and girlfriend, the usual.. go on dates, she likes to cook for me, surprise me with things that I like etc, basically all things that make me happy.

But the problem now is that, you see. I am the guy in the relationship. I do not want to sound DOMINANT, girls should no way play second fiddle. I can understand that. But from what I heard from friends and you know marriage love courses, wives will tend to you know, listen to the husband. Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER do anything to hurt her or do something beyond her comfort zone. But yeah, more like simple decision making or when we need to make a decision over something, I just hope that she will give in to me, but somehow during this relationship for the past 6 years, majority of the time is her.

And that, I have to be the one to always give in to her. In the future, after we get married, what if I am not able to impose some form of authority.. you know, being the husband and all. She rarely gives in and when we argue, she likes to walk away and just keep quiet. She does not like to talk it out and you know, whatever it is, gets irritated easily.

What do you guys think, I do not want to be the lady in the relationship once we are married. I do not know.. recently because of this, i tend to be more agigated to my love ones (except for her) because when we argue about something, at the end of the day, IT'S ALWAYS MY FAULT. Like when she did something wrong and when i try to rectify, she complains that i kept asking too many questions. So the problem then switch to me.

I do not know where else to go to now, anybody got some insights they would like to share with me?
barbarahajar View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbarahajar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 2:00am
Dear brother salam alaykum,
Dont Marty her with the hope she will change cause she won't. You know how she is, if you think you can live with her the way she is OK go and marry her; but if you have doubts its better for you both delete this marriage, cause marriage life is hard, and you need the right one for you for make it work. Better some few days of sadness now then years with a lot of troubles.
muhammadfazal View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muhammadfazal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 3:30am
"Men are the maintainers of women, because Allah has made some of them to excel others...� (4:34).

The Almighty Allah regards men as the guardians of their families and states in the Holy Qur'an that:
الرِّجَالُ قَوَّامُونَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ بِمَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ
And women have rights similar to the rights of men in a just manner, and the men have a degree (of advantage) over them..." (2:228).
Some responsibilities of Islam men towards marriage:

1. Love your wife
2. Respect wife
3. Take care her
4. Keep good manners
5. Do not complain unnecessarily
6. Do not quarrel.
If you would love to learn more into this topic, this site would be helpful. Alim.org http://alim.org/
CarolineMay View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male Ortodox
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolineMay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 1:52pm
Traditionally, the man should be main character in a marriage. He should provide emotional and financial support for the family. However, things evolved so much and I think having an independent, strong woman by your side is even greater. Maybe you don't realize this now because of your ego, but this will be very helpful. If you know how, you can still feel a man next to a woman like this. She'll never accept less or to take 'orders' from you and I think you should appreciate her character. It's unique and special. If this bothers you maybe you should think about What You Want in a Relationship. And of course, don't listen to people around you. The only one you should listen to is yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic