IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for information on Wahabism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for information on Wahabism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for information on Wahabism
    Posted: 23 March 2017 at 10:41am
My husband and I will be moving to Saudi Arabia for a two year working contract at the end of the year. We will be international school teachers in Jeddah, KSA.

Even though I read all the "basic information" I could find online, I am looking for some deeper insight into Wahabism/Islam and Saudi culture to prepare ourselves for our stay in the Kingdom. We both are not religious, but we want to understand the culture and faith of the people of Saudi Arabia as much as possible because we see this not only as a required sign of respect for the country we mean to live in for two years, but also as an opportunity for personal growth and as a learning experience for ourselves.

Unfortunately 99% of the reactions I receive in the Western community when I talk about our future stay abroad are filled with prejudice and horror stories about the "crazy fanatics over there" and overall not very helpful. I am hoping to find some people here that are willing to help us find some good sources of information available in English that will help us to prepare for our stay.
Can anyone recommend any reading material on the Wahabi branch of Islam or Saudi culture for us? We would also be very interested in reading religious texts. Is there maybe a translation of the Qur'an anyone can recommend that would specifically apply to the area we are going to?

Every sort of information will be much appreciated. Thank you.
malina View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 5:22am
Maybe you should visit a mosque in your city and talk with the local community. :)
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 1:20am
Well Sis, if possible get a crash course of Arabic learning that will be very helpful. Regarding Copy of English translation of Quran, you can go through this website: http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=1&verse=1

Best wishes and warm regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic