IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Protocol Questions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Protocol Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmm11690 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protocol Questions
    Posted: 22 December 2016 at 3:59pm
Hello brothers.

I just reverted to Islam after being raised Lutheran my entire 26 years. I have a few probably common questions for your guys raised in the culture, basically about how seriously to take everyday practice.

First, the brothers I�ve met thus far hook up with non-Muslim girls, but hold out for a sister to marry someday. I�ve read and been taught the benefits of chastity etc. But is that not what�s actually done by most in practice?

Also what do you do about modesty when in the context of other guys. Meaning, protocol for changing and showering in locker rooms? Do you go in urinals/pee with the door open when only men are around? etc. These things are common in normal western society but myself obviously reading Quran I'm now just aware of it.

Thanks

Edited by mmm11690 - 22 December 2016 at 4:03pm
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2016 at 7:21pm
Salam,
Congratulations, may Allah strengthen your faith and His guidance and his help with you always.

Regarding your question:
Chastity is very important in Islam, sex outside marriage is very big sin. Yes it's very dificult, so it need very huge effort to avoid it. On the other hand you will get huge reward if you able to do that. That's why there is a hadith (Prophet Muhammad's saying), "one of the best person is a youth that able to follow Islam (the pious youth)".
Why majority people do not do that, becasue the general rul people who obey God's law is less.
Verses in the quran:
103:2 Indeed, mankind is in loss,
103:3 EXCEPT for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.

The word "EXECEPT" in ayah 103:3 means that "little" or minority.

Regarding "modesty" also similar, majority done it, it doesn't mean OK.

Allah, God almighty know best.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
mmm11690 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmm11690 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2016 at 8:26pm
Salam brother,

Thank you for your reply and encouragement.
Is there a defined protocol for men only spaces? Should I avoid locker rooms/urinals etc.? Just looking for additional perspectives.

Thanks
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2016 at 9:08pm
Asalaam O Alaikum Brother, May Allah (swt) keep you steadfast on the Deen (Islamic way of Life) and inshA'Allah grant you success in this world and the hereafter!

In addition to what the brother has said.

Follow the lives of those who are particular in following the example of Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi Wassallam) in words, deeds and actions. These could be practicing Muslims whom you would usually see frequent the mosque or those whose lives you can read about from the books such as the lives of Companions, famous Imams and Scholars of Islam.

As for the Muslims you are referring to, you will not be questioned for what they have done and they will not be questions for what you have done. If they chase women and forbid their own women from seeking a partner for marriage then they are not a good example to follow.

As for modesty it is also a requirement for men. The Awrah is also for men and not only women. What is Awrah? That is, parts of their body which are forbidden (for others) to look at or (for them) to show to others.

Awrah parts for men are from the shoulder to the elbow, not exposing under armpit, which should be covered and the area between the knees and the navel. this is part of man's Hijab (covering) as per many scholars from different schools of thoughts.

In fact the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) said the following in an authentic tradition of Abu Dawud relating to some male body parts:

(10) Narrated Jarhad: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) sat with us and my thigh was uncovered. He said: Do you not know that thigh is a private part.  (Book #31, Hadith #4003)

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Do not uncover your thigh, and do not look at the thigh of the living and the dead.  (Book #31, Hadith #4004)

Looking at the Awrah of men might provoke a wrong thought to cross one's mind therefore one should be careful and not be around such men who are in a locker room or showers where they are completely undressed.

This is all faith (imaan) my dear brother.

As for peeing around men, are you referring to peeing stalls on the walls inside restrooms?

In Islam preference is given to sitting and peeing and not standing unless you have no choice such as toilets are very dirty etc, from what I know. I can find out more for you InshA'Allah.

mmm11690 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmm11690 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2016 at 9:48pm
Thanks again for your responses brothers. Today I officially took my Shahada!

In regards to your question, there have been times in my life in which one guy was standing at the toilet and another would come in to wash hands/use the sink. Nothing was showing but they were there together. I now see it is best to just avoid such times to preserve modesty.

Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic