IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breastfeeding  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breastfeeding
    Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:14am

Bismillah,

Yes.  And I mention again that La Leche league has this information on its website in detail.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
kane View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 11:39am

Salaam Alaikum,

Yes I still Breastfeeding but trying to cut down slowly inshaAllah.

while we are still on this subject would like to know from you sisters who have breastfed for this long, Is it normal to still NOT have had a period?

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 5:26am
Originally posted by kane kane wrote:

As-salaam-alaykum,

Please does anyone have any advice on how to STOP breastfeeding. My daughter is coming up to 2 years old and she loves to still feed. If I tell her that the milk is finished she cries and cries. She will not take a bottle and I just don't know what to do. Is it correct that under islamic tradition, I have to stop when she is 2 years or can I feed a bit longer? Does anyone have any good advice?

Thank-you

Dear Kane, Assalaamualaikum,

I don't know how far you have succeeded in your weaning....but here's what I did for my two children....I hope this helps.

Be prepared for a lot of fuss and crying, but it will not take you more than a couple of weeks to succesfully stop breastfeeding Insha Alllah, if you consistently follow a plan.

Drop one feed at a time, during the day. Get your child used to something like sipper/straw etc, to soothe him or her.  I used to put on the quran and either sit with child on lap, or carry him around on my shoulder. Gradually they get used to this routine. When you are done with the day feeds, comes the night feeds. At night there will be crying for few days only and the duration of crying lessens every few days.

You have to be patient and ask Allah for help. Give the child sipper or anything he is used to every time he gets up. Insha Allah , it will soon get over, all the best.

wassalaam

Edited by amah
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 5:16am
[QUOTE=Alwardah]

As Salamu Alaikum

Insha Allah I am going to quote from the Tafsir of ibn Kathir to shed some light on this......................

AssalaamuAlaikum, Jazakallahukhair for this tafsir, it was useful....

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2006 at 5:12am

As Salamu Alaikum

Insha Allah I am going to quote from the Tafsir of ibn Kathir to shed some light on this.

And (the period of) his gestation and weaning is thirty months,

`Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, used this Ayah along with the following two Ayat to prove that the minimum period of pregnancy (gestation) is six months:

(And his weaning is in two years.) (31:14) and

(The mothers suckle their children two complete years -- for those who desire to complete the term of suckling. ) (2:233)

This is a strong and valid conclusion, and it was approved by `Uthman and a number of the Companions. Muhammad bin Ishaq bin Yasar narrated from Ba`jah bin `Abdullah Al-Juhani that a man from his tribe (Juhaynah) married a woman from Juhaynah. She delivered a baby after six months. So her husband went to `Uthman, may Allah be pleased with him, and told him about that. Thus, `Uthman summoned her. When she was getting dressed, her sister started crying. She asked her: "Why do you cry By Allah, no one has ever approached me (for sexual relations) of Allah's creation except him (my husband). So let Allah decree (for me) as He wills.'' When she was brought before `Uthman, he commanded that she be stoned to death (for adultery). `Ali heard of this, came to `Uthman, and said: "What are you doing'' He (`Uthman) said: "She delivered after six months! Can this ever happen'' `Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "Don't you read the Qur'an'' He said: "Yes, of course!'' He (`Ali) then said: `Haven't you heard Allah's saying,

(and his gestation and weaning is thirty months),

( two complete years) (2:233) (Subtracting the two numbers) we are only left with six months.'' `Uthman, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "By Allah, I did not see that! Bring the woman back.'' But they found that she had already been killed. Ba`jah continued: "By Allah, no two crows and no two eggs are more similar than that child turned out to be to his father! When his father saw that he said, `By Allah! This is my son without any doubt.' Later on, Allah afflicted him with a skin abscess in his face (because of his false accusation to his wife). It kept eating him up until he died.'' Ibn Abi Hatim related from his father that Farwah bin Abi Al-Maghra' told them that `Ali bin Mushir narrated to them from Dawud bin Abi Hind, who narrated from `Ikrimah that Ibn `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said, "When a woman delivers after nine months, the baby will only need twenty-one months of suckling. When she delivers after seven months, the baby will need twenty-three months of suckling. When she delivers after six months, the baby will need two full years of suckling.

This is another explanation. Allah knows best.

Wa Alaikum Salam

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2006 at 4:20am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

no worries sis all of us go through same sort of things, one thing we need to understand is all of us can't just look at Holy Quran and Ahadith and know the ruligs from there, basically all schools of thought have rulings on ways of interpertation which they have taken from Holy Quran and Ahadith, now they use those rulings to derive a law from Ayaat and Ahadith, now what i wrote was from hanafi rulings and being honest im not sure how the law is being derived, they must have used ahadith and most of time hanafi rulings go for interpertation of Ayesha (ra) as Imam hanifa was student of student of Ayesha (ra) but Allah swt knows best

wassalam

kane View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2006 at 2:51am

As-salaam alaykum

'tis me again!

Now I am a little confused. I did look in my Qu'ran at 46:15 which has no footnotes and happy because of the weaning of 30 months.

But now I have checked my other qu'ran which has footnotes and It says the 30 months includes 6 months when the pregnancy is viable, so therefore the weaning is 2 yrs and not more.

kane View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2006 at 2:00am

As-salaam Alaykum wa rahmatAllah wa baraktahu

I would like to thank sister Fatima as I was not aware of surah 46:15 and some sisters have been telling me that I MUST stop at 2 years. So now I can inform them about that.

Thankyou for your suggestion Semar, but I think I'll steer clear of that one.

Thankyou to the rest of you too. Now that I know about surah 46:15 I am not going to panic just yet. I shall try to get her to cut down slowly and insha-Allah she will stop.

But who knows,I may be back in 6 months time asking for more advice if she hasn't stopped by then!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic