IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shafa’a (Intercession)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shafa’a (Intercession)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shafa’a (Intercession)
    Posted: 03 April 2005 at 7:15am

Many Sunni sects believe that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has been granted permission by Allah to intercede on behalf of the Believers. Shi�ite, on the other hand, go a step further � they believe that in addition to the Prophet (pbuh), the twelve Imams have also the similar permission.

Contrary to that the Salafi and Wahhabi believe that even the Prophet (pbuh), may or may not be allowed by Allah to intercede on the Day of Judgment. Their belief is based on various Qur�anic verses (2:254, 10:3, 39:43 and 39:44), which say that Allah alone has the power to intercede.

However, the others say that Holy Qur�an (2:254, 10:3, 19:87, 20:109, 21:28, 34:23, 39:44 and 53:26), also mention that His creation can intercede, but by Allah�s permission.

Furthermore, Mishkat, Book 23, Ch. 12, says: Three classes will intercede on the Day of Judgement � the prophets, the righteous scholars, and the martyrs.

There is another Hadith (shar-i-mundyif), which claims that the Prophet (pbuh) said: I will intercede for those who shall have committed great sins, except Shirk.

Yet, there is another Hadith, which quote the Prophet�s (pbuh) warning to his youngest daughter, Hazrat Fatima al-Zahera (as) that she should never think that she will enter paradise, just because she is his daughter � it is her good deeds, which would save her from the Hell-fire. On the other hand, we are also reminded the special position the Prophet (pbuh) has among Allah�s all creations � all prophets, from Adam (as) to Jesus (as) had prayed to be among the followers of �the final prophet�, but only the prayer of Jesus (as) was accepted � he will return as a Muslim.

Personally, i feel that the beloved Prophet (pbuh) has the permission to intercede � through plea � which he did on several occasions even during his life-time, for example, he made a plea for the victory of Christian Rome over Pagan Persian empire, who had routed the Romans a few years ago. The plea was accepted (as mentioned in Holy Qur�an) by Allah, and the Romans became victorious.

What you think?

Wa Salaam.
Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don�t Know Can Kill You

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 2:26pm

Bro Rehmat,

I think, request for forgiveness (not interceding) would be by all Prophets and not specifically by Prophet Mohammad, but only when Allah grant them permission to do so, and that too, in certain cases only and not in general. Having said that, it is to be kept in mind that this is kind of prophesy and how much literal meanings need to attached to it, no one knows except Allah. However, when it comes to interpreting this prophesy, many people stretch its meaning beyond the principles of Islamic Idealogy of One God. This is where the shirk starts to pour into their ideas. May Allah forgive me if I am wrong, but I would say that there is no distinction between the Prophets and we can't raise or lower a prophet from the others. For us, all are equal and require our equal respect. However, since we know more about Prophet Mohammad that is why we talk more about him, listen more about him and replicate more of his actions than any other prophet. Bottom line, mere good deeds may not gaurentee Janah (on the basis of demand for perfect justice by the individual) but through Allah's mercy only, which may come in different forms. One of these forms could be allowing the Prophets to come and request for an individual, if he deserves it. This is how persceive it but of course Allah knows the best. 

Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2005 at 9:10am

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

.....Bottom line, mere good deeds may not gaurentee Janah (on the basis of demand for perfect justice by the individual) but through Allah's mercy only, which may come in different forms. One of these forms could be allowing the Prophets to come and request for an individual, if he deserves it. This is how persceive it but of course Allah knows the best. 

Finally, I found the statement - I can say AMEEN.

Know your enemy!

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2005 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

Contrary to that the Salafi and Wahhabi believe that even the Prophet (pbuh), may or may not be allowed by Allah to intercede on the Day of Judgment.

This is the zionist theory of Wahabbis Head Banger

Rehmat, nice shift of interests. Thumbs Down So what would be next on the File agenda?

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 6:31am

Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

...This is the zionist theory of Wahabbis Head Banger

Only a Zionist would know better than me - don't you agree?

Know your enemy!

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

Only a Zionist would know better than me - don't you agree?

Rehmat,

This zionist obsession of yours - you are most welcome to harbor. However, you have annoyed too many ppl with this in too little time. People are not wrong in complaining. Even a slight stimulation as above brought u to square one.

All threads started by you, and all posts sent by you in threads started by others where you implicate people as zionists will go to the conspiracy bin.  If this does not give you the message you are unwelcome to break the peace on the forums, there is worse to come.

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 10:36am

Where did Rehmat brought the Wahhabis and the Zionists together in this thread??

It was N who started with

This is the zionist theory of Wahabbis Head Banger

May be I have overlooked something

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ibraheem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibraheem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 11:12pm
Answered by Sidi Faraz Rabbani

Question. The Prophet�s Intercession and Rank in Paradise (may Allah bless him and give him peace) RE: What is the definition of maqam al-mahmood and maqam al waseela? What are the differences between the two?

Walaikum assalam,

The praised station (al-maqam al-mahmud) is the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace)�s intercession. The station of mediation (maqam al-wasila) is a rank in Paradise that no one but the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) shall reach.

In Sahih al-Bukhari:

Jabir ibn Abd Allah (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) said, �Whoever says the following after hearing the call to prayer deserves my intercession (shafa`a)  on the Day of Judgment: �O Allah, Lord of this perfect call and ready prayer! Grant Muhammad the mediation (wasila)and honor, and resurrect him on the praised station that your have promised him.��

Imam Badr al-Din al-`Ayni (Allah have mercy on him) explains this hadith in his commentary on Sahih al-Bukhari, `Umdat al-Qari:

(Mediation � wasila) Its linguistic sense is the means of drawing closer to another, and a rank with a king� A hadith in Sahih Muslim explained this as being a rank in Paradise� �Then ask Allah to grant me the mediation (wasila), for it is a rank in Paradise that none but a single servant of Allah�s servants deserves, and I hope that it be me, so whoever asks Allah that he grant me the mediation shall have my intercession.� �

(Praised station � maqaman mahmudan) Ibn al-Jawzi said that most scholars hold this to mean the [major] intercession� [Ayni, Umdat al-Qari, 5.123-124]

This intercession is of various types, including the major intercession at the Gathering, where he (Allah bless him & give him peace, and grant us his intercession and concern) will intercede for all humanity and jinns to lessen the dreads of the Day of Resurrection.

The Prophet�s Intercessions Are Many

These major intercessions are 6:

1. Lessening the dreads of the Day of Resurrection;

2. Entering some people into Paradise without reckoning; these two are said to be particular to the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace);

3. For some who deserved punishment in the Fire;

4. Taking out some who actually entered the Fire;

5. Raising the ranks of those in Paradise;

6. Lessening the punishment of those eternally in the Fire, such as Abu Talib and others.

[Khadimi, al-Bariqa al-Mahmudiyya fi Sharh al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya, 1.78, quoting Qastallani, Laqani, and Suyuti]

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani

Few more Fatwas on this topic below:

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/QA00000103.aspx
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/QA00003848.aspx
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00003672.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic