IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vegetarianism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vegetarianism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriosityLives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarianism
    Posted: 07 December 2015 at 9:18pm
Is vegetarianism un-Islamic?

Please take the time to give opinions on this matter and answer follow-up questions.

What are the exact guidelines for eating animals and are there exceptions? My understanding is that for meat to be haalal there are certain guidelines.. Is it permissible for a vegetarian to remain vegetarian after conversion? .

i have been doing reading and I have found different opinions on this.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:37am
Yes you can remain a vegetarian after conversion.
CuriosityLives View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriosityLives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:20pm
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I read on another site that its ok to prefer not to consume animals as a Muslim if thats your preference but that it is not okay to do so in the name of animal rights or because you feel its morally wrong to do so. Is this a common belief? Is there anything to back it up? I dont have access to a Quran and I only have one Muslim friend so I have lots of questions!

i have made the time to do some reading online and im confused because it seems theres a way the meat is supposed to be slaughtered (for those who consume it) and i cant imagine how anyone in my country would fulfill that requirement, unless living on a farm. Are there exceptions to the requirement that animals be humanely slaughtered in the name of Allah? Is it permissible for Muslims to purchase store bought beef and chicken for consumption? Is it more beneficial to abstain from meat altogether in regions where meat from humanely slaughtered animals is inaccessible or not affordable?

Is it okay to choose to consume factory farmed chicken from supermarkets without knowledge of the animal's treatment or condition prior to slaughter?
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:28pm
Salam/Peace,

You can get a free copy of quran here:

http://www.islamicity.com/freeliterature/

Edited by icforumadmin - 08 December 2015 at 7:29pm
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:31pm
Or you can read/listen it online:

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/quran/

Edited by icforumadmin - 08 December 2015 at 7:32pm
CuriosityLives View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriosityLives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 8:22pm
wow thanks!
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 7:42am
It's not a common belief simply because most Muslims, and people also, do eat meat. The issue of what meat is permissible with respect to slaughtering is controversial (scholars differ). My view is one of general permissibility from stores and restaurants. Although for health reasons I'm trying to limit the amount of meat in my diet.
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 7:40am
Allah in ch 5 v 1 of Quran forbids pork,blood of animals in many places such as ch 23 v 21 Allah described the utility of cattle in the form of meat.Allah in ch 16 v 14 of Quran says it is permissible to eat aquatic animals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic