IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Salam alaikum WBT, to all ...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salam alaikum WBT, to all ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murat_Mutlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salam alaikum WBT, to all ...
    Posted: 21 January 2006 at 8:23pm

Salaam  alaikum wa rahmetullahi wa berakatuh,

I am originally from Istanbul, Turkey.

Living since 6 years in USA. First arrived in FL, then moved to California. Work related.

Had live in UK in 92-93 for study. Lived sometime in Italy and Germany as well.

It is interesting to note how much of we do as muslim is cultural, and how much is not.

Common is the arabic language that is in forms of basic greeting / thanks, and language of salaat is "universal" for muslims.

Like Hajj is Arafat, and Salaat-ul Jumaa is a "small Arafat" , where all muslims collect, countries and cities like USA, UK, London, etc. is where one can observe all diverse muslims from different parts of the world and cultures, different mother languages, at one place.

That is what I like about this kind of cities.

I do not know if Turkey is the only majority muslim country where the alphabet is non-arabic but Latin.

That is the result of reform of Ataturk in Turkey.
I am sure most Turkish would say, "Ataturk saved us from old arabic alphabet :) "

Sure, Latin alphabet is easier :) I was of the same idea when I was at school, as a kid.

But one has to consider now that chances of most Turkish learning arabic alphabet in mosques is next to none. Who has time in extra schooling, and where are the resources to teach million of people free of charge, and in a quality service ?  Not in Turkey :(

An Afghani friend of mine, imam at the Afghani masjid as well, who has worked as ambassador in Europe, and visited Turkey, told me:  "Ataturk cut the ties of Turkish with Islamic cultures by reforming the alphabet, and closing religious training centers."

Yes, these places were probably centers of some unwanted politics at some locations. So they maybe had negative fame. But I agree that removing arabic alphabet has been a major set back for a muslim Turkish nation.

What do you think on this ?

Now, how do Turkish people want to read Qoran ?
From Latin alphabet :) Or listening to recordings.

I think it would be easier to learn Arabic Alphabet in school, at the same time or after latin alphabet.

It is interesting to see a muslim country who does not teach Qoranic alphabet, nor important level of knowledge of Islam, and its practise.

Religious teaching in schools in Turkey is next to none, while everything else is possible :))

Rather, ladies are barred from universities and government offices employment if they choose to cover their head islamicly ???

Yet in USA I see nobody is barred from their rights if they choose to dress head covers, or if men wish to grow a beard. In Turkey, a muslim man with a beard can not work in a government office. What a zulm in a muslim country.

I wonder if there are examples like this in other muslim countries ??

In USA, it is much easier to be a muslim man or woman in this Christian country then Turkey :)  (Ok, except all the prejudice nowadays prevailing here and elsewhere in world against muslims, but still there is freedom in basic life and rights, more abundant then of that in Turkey, "muslim" country.)

OK, although 98% of Turkish citizen are labeled as muslims, governors of Turkey are fond of "Laisizm" , a French term, separation of state and religion.

However that issiue was of France, where they had to bar the Church to keep their hands of from state management and politics.

In Islam there is no church and no "Ruhban class",
so what "Laisizm"  are we talking of in Turkey, in a muslim country ?

Basically, governors are saying:
"We do not want Islam in any part of life !!"

Keep Islam in your own house, and in mosque. We do not wanna see headcover in schools, in government offices !!

So muslim men and women have to be changing their appaerance, personal fashion and trim to the likes of governor :)

Do we deserve that kind of treatment, because of what we have done ourselves ?

Certainly, "Allah does not do zulm to people, people do zulm to themselves."

In Turkish schools, it is thaught to children to be conformist, and not questioning the power of governers, and state.

Individualism is not dveloped like in USA.

Certainly this is a planned, conscious politics to  paralyze people and strip them away from  being at ease raising their voice !!

My muslims brothers, and sisters, is it easier to be a muslim in your own countries, or do you have smilar issiues ?

This was supposed to be my saying "Salaam" posting, but had this issiue in my head suddenly while talking of who I am and what I see as a muslim in my life. So, before I could get familiar with different forums here, I ended up writing it here.

Could you please advise which forums on this site are best ones to post this questions, and learn more on it ?

Wasalam wa rahmetullahi wa berakatuh,
Murat
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2006 at 3:45am

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Brother Murat and welcome to the board.

To many Turks it is more important to be European... or at least be considered as European, than Muslim or Asian. Hence ban on hijaab, ban on beards and disgusting kneeling in tears before EU.

There is a big difference between a Muslim country and a country where majority population is considered as Muslims... Turkey, therefore, is not a Muslim country like many other Muslim countries claiming themselves to be such... Moreover, it is a confused country that has lost (sold) its once strong and respected identity.

MOCKBA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2006 at 8:53pm
wa alaikum salam, welcome murat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic