IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Open doors?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open doors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open doors?
    Posted: 17 September 2015 at 10:14am
Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone here could answer. I live in a large open apartment building with many Muslim families from Bangladesh. I have wondered ever since they moved in why they need to keep their doors open most of the day and night? From about 7 am to after 11 pm. I wouldn't notice as much but many of them have babies that cry and it's like the babies are in my apartment. I have talked to them about being loud while others are trying to sleep but it didn't seem to help. Is there something in Islam that talks about doors having to be left open or is it maybe a Bengali thing?

Also, please don't troll or be aggressive because I don't understand, I am here to learn. I wish I didn't have to be so defensive but the internet is cruel and it's never helpful.

Thank you for the help,
Mark
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2015 at 3:28am
Originally posted by MarkL MarkL wrote:

Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone here could answer. I live in a large open apartment building with many Muslim families from Bangladesh. I have wondered ever since they moved in why they need to keep their doors open most of the day and night? From about 7 am to after 11 pm. I wouldn't notice as much but many of them have babies that cry and it's like the babies are in my apartment. I have talked to them about being loud while others are trying to sleep but it didn't seem to help. Is there something in Islam that talks about doors having to be left open or is it maybe a Bengali thing?

Also, please don't troll or be aggressive because I don't understand, I am here to learn. I wish I didn't have to be so defensive but the internet is cruel and it's never helpful.

Thank you for the help,
Mark

Unfortunately the majority of people from Bangladesh are uneducated illiterate people. If they have a large family then they probably leave the doors open so that they can exit and enter without using keys.

If you are in the UK you can complain to the council and they will talk to the family on your behalf.
La Ilaha IllAllah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2015 at 2:07pm
Mark welcome! There is nothing in Islam regarding keeping your door open. There is however admonitions with respect to being a good neighbor, and certainly this would entail not disturbing your neighbor. Notwithstanding your desire not to be trolled, I do wonder, given you've mentioned the baby crying, what is the difference between a window open and a door open? In other words, you will still hear the baby screaming - that's how infants communicate. People who live in apartments really must be considerate, but also have to be reasonable in their expectations as well. How have your Bengali neighbors responded to your complaints?    
MarkL View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2015 at 5:41pm
Thanks you guys for your responses. Also that's not trolling, you make a good point about the door vs window and the baby needing to communicate.

I mention the baby mainly because it's the most common noise lately. However this baby is only one yr old and this has been going on for 3 years with multiple neighbors throughout the building. So I thought there must be something to it. I guess I didn't mention the late night get togethers when all the neighbors are hanging out outside.

The one time I did go down to talk to them it was around 11 pm and one of my downstairs neighbors really understood and has since changed. The other 3 closest to me seem to have not gotten the point.

Well, it's not part of Islam and I appreciate you making it clear. I guess I have just been unlucky with neighbors lately.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic