IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Story for converting in islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Story for converting in islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quran Classes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Story for converting in islam
    Posted: 06 August 2015 at 12:04pm
I became Muslim at the tender age of 17 and still lived at home with my mother who was a single parent due to my father passing away when I was just 16.

My family had me christened as a baby but I had never really had a religious upbringing and I thought that this would go in my favor when telling my mom about my conversion to Islam.

-Keeping it Secret
I converted in November 2010 and I kept it a secret for three months. I would leave the house in the morning with no hijab and then run around the corner and quickly put it on, because I knew that islamically I must wear the hijab but I also didn�t want to hurt my mom.

I would hide so many things from my mom, I told her I was vegetarian to avoid eating a non-halal (unlawful) meat, and if she poured me an alcoholic drink I would pour it down the sink when she wasn�t looking.
Of course my behavior did start to raise suspicions, I would come in after college and my hair would be flat from my hijab and she would ask why. She also kept asking about my new Muslim friends and what happened to the ones I used to party with. At the time, I came up with an elaborate excuse; I never lied to her because that would be wrong, I would just change the subject because I didn�t feel that I was ready to tell her.

However don�t use my behavior as a way of getting out or prolonging telling your family because it only makes things worse in the long run. Personally, when it comes to a new Muslim telling their family about their conversion, I think that it is phenomenally important that they feel that they are ready, but also not to prolong telling your family because you are scared of their reaction.

I knew that Paradise was at my mother�s feet and I owed her the respect of telling her

When I was in this situation, words of encouragement that helped me tell my mom was that Islam is for the rest of my life and it is not possible to avoid the subject for that, there are only so many excuses you can think of. Also, Islam teaches to respect and cherish your parents, and I knew that Paradise was at my mother�s feet and I owed her the respect of telling her and not keeping secrets from her.

As time went by, I found that more and more people had become aware of my conversion. Although they were supportive, it wasn�t their approval I was looking for but that of my mom�s. As February approached, my faith felt stronger, and my knowledge was greater than when I had just converted. This meant that I could tell my mom and any questions she had I would have a better chance of being able to answer them than I would have three months earlier.

I have never been good with heart the hearts or talking face to face with my mom so I chose to tell my mom through a letter.

Edited by icforumadmin - 06 August 2015 at 11:16pm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2015 at 3:16am
Asalaamu Alaikum

This looks incomplete, please continue. Very interesting.
La Ilaha IllAllah
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Quran Classes Quran Classes wrote:

I became Muslim at the tender age of 17 and still lived at home with my mother who was a single parent due to my father passing away when I was just 16.
So exactly how did you enter into Islam? I mean through some sort of peer pressure or really got convinced by reading about it or what?

Originally posted by Quran Classes Quran Classes wrote:

My family had me christened as a baby but I had never really had a religious upbringing and I thought that this would go in my favor when telling my mom about my conversion to Islam. -Keeping it Secret I converted in November 2010 and I kept it a secret for three months. I would leave the house in the morning with no hijab and then run around the corner and quickly put it on, because I knew that islamically I must wear the hijab but I also didn�t want to hurt my mom.

Who told you that hijab is compulsory for a person in a situation like you?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic