IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - English translations of Qur’an  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English translations of Qur’an

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 3:44pm

Bismillah,

Ahmad,

It is the commentary that is different in the new version.  I became a muslimah based on his version.  His version and point of view obviously made sense to me then, and I would find comfort in being able to study it again now. 

I have been very busy.  My copy was stolen, (really!), and when I got a new one I disagreed with much of the Saudi commentary which they replaced his with in spots throughout.  It is mysogynistic and therefore not spirtual, but offensive.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 5:05pm

Assalamu alaikum Herjihad,

I have never read Ali's commentary, only his translation.  There are several different versions of his translation with commentary on Amazon but I don't know if any are the original.

Have you read Muhammad Asad's commentary?  I find it makes a lot of sense and is not at all mysogynistic - just very much full of common sense and good reasoning.

If I ever come across Ali's original commentary I will post where it is here.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
copenhagen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copenhagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

My copy was stolen, (really!)

Ok, so a person steals a copy of the Quran, but is so moved by the words, the person converts/reverts and becomes a fine muslim. Is the stealing judged as a bad thing?

duck and running ....

peace
Some people before you asked questions, and on that account lost their faith.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 12:51pm

Bismillah,

Of course they were already muslims... and their first language is Arabic, not English.  I also try to picture that many of these thieves poor relatives benefitted from my clothing, furniture, household goods et cetera.  After all, I got new, old stuff eventually, and maybe they had nothing or no way to get anything.  Allahu 'Alam. (God Knows.)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Sarkeranwar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarkeranwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 2:29am

In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Peace and blessings of Allah be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, his companions and those who follow the guidance

Assalaamu Alakykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh brothers and sisters

Originally posted by naveed naveed wrote:

I really wish there were some good free online Arabic teaching sites.

Brother naveed, here is a website which offers free Arabic reading and language course. You will find it very useful, Insha Allah. 

http://www.madinaharabic.com/

............................................................ .........................

For the translation of the meaning of the Holy Quran:

The Noble Quran In the English Language

A Summarized Version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir
with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari
By
Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D.
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

The above translation is the best translation because it is a sumarised version of the Tafsir by At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir who were amongest the greatest scholars of Islam. Moreover, numerous authentic Ahadith have been referred to in the explanation of noble Verses of the Holy Quran. None of the other English translations offer so comprehensive information as this one. In this translation, many Arabic words were not tanslated directly so that the reader can get the true meaning of those words. The meanings of these words however explained in brackets which one finds very useful!  

If anyone wish to read this translation online it can be found at:

http://www.ummah.net/what-is-islam/quran/neindex.htm  

The translation available in the above link does not inclue the footnotes. To be able to read the footnotes you can do either of the followings:

- buy a hard copy from http://dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/
or
-download from  http://www.fatwa-online.com/downloads/noblequraan/index.htm   (download includes the footnotes!)

In case you do not understand or are not clear about the translated meanings of some of the Verses you should read the scholarly tafsir (commentary) to understand them. Tafsir Ibn Kathir is very popular among the scholars and it can be found online at:

http://tafsir.com

May Allah guide us to His Straight Way and increase us in knowledge and wisdom. 

Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 4:58pm

Wa-alaikumas-Salaam Br Sarkeranwar

JazakAllah-khair for the website link to learn Arabic. InshaAllah I shall make good use of it. You have directed us to some very good sites, May Allah Bless you, Ameen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic