IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Old photos not covering the 'awrah on the Internet  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old photos not covering the 'awrah on the Internet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariatumrawam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old photos not covering the 'awrah on the Internet
    Posted: 19 April 2015 at 4:29am
السلام عليكم

Dear sisters,

I have this serious concern that has been a heavy burden. I used to be an avid photographer who loves to take self-portraits. These photos were rather revealing and not covering the 'awrah.

Now, I have taken steps to remove all such photos, from my personal computer as well as anywhere online I have posted.

However, some of those photos have been shared on various other blogs, websites, forums, pinterest, tumblr and so on. I have tried my best to contact those who posted or the website administrator to have them removed, Alhamdulillah I did manage to get some removed.

However there are a still few more photos lingering around when I do a quick google search. And the ones left are those that have outdated posts, old posts, where I am unable to contact those in charge of those pages.

Do I still bear the sin for those photos that are displayed which I do not have the power to remove myself?

جزاك اللهُ خيرًا

Edited by ariatumrawam - 19 April 2015 at 4:30am
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by ariatumrawam ariatumrawam wrote:

السلام عليكم

Dear sisters,

I have this serious concern that has been a heavy burden. I used to be an avid photographer who loves to take self-portraits. These photos were rather revealing and not covering the 'awrah.

Now, I have taken steps to remove all such photos, from my personal computer as well as anywhere online I have posted.

However, some of those photos have been shared on various other blogs, websites, forums, pinterest, tumblr and so on. I have tried my best to contact those who posted or the website administrator to have them removed, Alhamdulillah I did manage to get some removed.

However there are a still few more photos lingering around when I do a quick google search. And the ones left are those that have outdated posts, old posts, where I am unable to contact those in charge of those pages.

Do I still bear the sin for those photos that are displayed which I do not have the power to remove myself?

جزاك اللهُ خيرًا

Salaam

IMHO you did this out of ignorance so ask Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala for forgiveness.

If it's any comfort we are all guilty of posting our pics on the internet even though taking photos are haram in Islam.

I mean just look at our passport photos? It is unavoidable I'm afraid in the modern age. All we can do is ask for forgiveness and In Shaa Allah He will forgive us.
La Ilaha IllAllah
leesonlife View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leesonlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 10:37pm
I have a similar situation too sis. There's just one picture that I can't seem to get the person to remove. It just shows hair, otherwise I'm covered, alhamdulilah. But I completely understand your feelings. And it's scary to realize that others can so easily possess your image. :( InshaaAllah, it will all be okay. It's hard to avoid these things in this age.
dani21dani View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani21dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by ariatumrawam ariatumrawam wrote:

السلام عليكم

Dear sisters,

جزاك اللهُ خيرًا

وعليكم السلام

Sister, I know it's late, but I was hoping I could help you in your predicament.

Firstly, you should ask Allah for forgiveness of your past and ask Him for help in removing the remaining pictures, may Allah reward you. We hope that you will be forgiven if you are mukhlis (sincere) in your repentance, despite the fact that the pictures are online.

Secondly, there are ways to get google to remove a picture from their search, of course this wont mean that the picture is removed from the website, it's only removed from the search results. But this is a big enough step. Moreover, there might be some ways to get the pictures removed from the individual websites as well

But It's been months since your post. Do you still have this problem?

رحمك الله
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic