IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is regarded a slave?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is regarded a slave?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biancam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is regarded a slave?
    Posted: 17 February 2015 at 11:32am
I just read an article that says men are permitted to have sex slaves even in marriage. what does this mean? Who is regarded a slave so that a man can have sexual intercourse with them?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 7:09am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfg7nOPHjKE
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 1:40am
I am listening to the video this so far;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfg7nOPHjKE
The Roman slavery system was worse than the American system. It killed loads of people.

The Islamic slavery system included raiding Africa for black slaves. This practice continues today.

This is a problem for of using a set of laws written in very different times.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:33am
Hi Tim,
I am sorry, I couldn't get this vid. Probably its taken off or some broken link. Nevertheless my question to your comment, when you say

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

The Roman slavery system was worse than the American system.It killed loads of people.
Is this your excuse?

The Islamic slavery system included raiding Africa for black slaves.

Where did you find such an Islamic system? Any reference from Quran?

This practice continues today.This is a problem for of using a set of laws written in very different times.
what set of laws that you are referring to? Your references please? I think, you are truely unaware of Islamic stance on slavery and therefore definitely looking forward for a healthy discussion on this topic.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 2:01am
The Roman slave system involved the selling of wine to Gaul. 1 amphere of wine, a big pottery jar, had the same value as a slave.

That meant that it was not economic to feed slaves over the winter. So buy them just before you need to harvest the grapes and just don't feed them.

Because large rich land owners did this it was impossible for small farmers to compete. They all ended up in Rome where they could claim the public dole of food given out to Roman citizens. They died of disease in the streets of Rome.

The provinces of the Empire had govenors appointed by Rome. They had the job for a few years and then moved on. Often they would squeeze as much money out of the province as possible. This often meant declairing large sections of the province as slave zones. Everybody they could find would be sold. Made the rest of the place keen to pay the taxes.

The Islamic world had slavery in a less bad form;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/slavery_1.shtml

Quote The Paradox

A poignant paradox of Islamic slavery is that the humanity of the various rules and customs that led to the freeing of slaves created a demand for new slaves that could only be supplied by war, forcing people into slavery or trading slaves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Chad

Quote The practice of slavery in Chad, as in the Sahel states in general, is an entrenched phenomenon with a long history, going back to the Arab slave trade in the Sahelian kingdoms, and it continues today.

The laws of the Koran allow slavery.

I am not saying that the Western use of slavery, mostly in the Americas, was at all OK. It was not. It was evil.

Slavery continues today. It is very wrong. Not enough is done about stopping it.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 03 December 2015 at 2:02am
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Tim the Plumber Tim the Plumber wrote:

..The laws of the Koran allow slavery...
I would rather conclude that the laws of the Islam dissuade slavery by encouraging Muslims to free their slaves.
Originally posted by Tim the Plumber Tim the Plumber wrote:

Slavery continues today. It is very wrong. Not enough is done about stopping it.
Excellent. I agree with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic