IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah's message  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah's message

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

I refrained many years but their extremism is beyond me now.
Sorry if anyone else is offended, but I don't care if they are.

Perhaps in these days of fitna upon our religious community, which has enveloped all Muslims, notwithstanding our many differing religious practices, and nomenclature with which we commonly refer to one another, maybe we should take a step back and concentrate on being just Muslim. Sectarianism is proving to be a dangerous slippery slope. Let us just keep it simple.

In an authentic hadith, a man asked the Prophet, peace be upon him, 'If I perform the obligatory prayers, fast in Ramadan, treat as lawful that which is permissible, and forbidden that which is haram, and do not increase upon that, then shall I enter Paradise? The Prophet replied, 'Yes.'

In a similar narration: A man asked, 'tell me what I can do to enter paradise?' The Prophet, peace be upon him said, 'Worship Allah and do not associate partners, establish salat, give zakat and fast during Ramadan.' The man said, 'I will not increase anything from this and will not decrease anything.'   The Prophet, peace be upon him said, 'If anyone is pleased to see a person from Paradise then look to that man.'
Hopefully we can all agree upon this.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

I refrained many years but their extremism is beyond me now.
Sorry if anyone else is offended, but I don't care if they are.

Perhaps in these days of fitna upon our religious community, which has enveloped all Muslims, notwithstanding our many differing religious practices, and nomenclature with which we commonly refer to one another, maybe we should take a step back and concentrate on being just Muslim. Sectarianism is proving to be a dangerous slippery slope. Let us just keep it simple.

In an authentic hadith, a man asked the Prophet, peace be upon him, 'If I perform the obligatory prayers, fast in Ramadan, treat as lawful that which is permissible, and forbidden that which is haram, and do not increase upon that, then shall I enter Paradise? The Prophet replied, 'Yes.'

In a similar narration: A man asked, 'tell me what I can do to enter paradise?' The Prophet, peace be upon him said, 'Worship Allah and do not associate partners, establish salat, give zakat and fast during Ramadan.' The man said, 'I will not increase anything from this and will not decrease anything.'   The Prophet, peace be upon him said, 'If anyone is pleased to see a person from Paradise then look to that man.'
Hopefully we can all agree upon this.

Though perceive your sentiment, I beg to differ.

I would say killing non-muslims is not essential for entering paradise, so many who think they are muslims, while desiring paradise should concentrate on the hadith you have quoted and stop bunrning, shooting and beheading those who do not agree with their ideologies - because really as you stated through these quotes, getting into paradise IS a simple matter - nobody has to make life 'hell' for others in order to achieve it.

This extremism has taken birth in the takfeer at muslims, insolent arguments and reckless remarks about kufr, bidah and shirk.   I'd rather run a word of caution amongst mulims against identifying themselves in the ranks of those who adhere to such demeanors. Therefore nomenclature is more important than ever before.

Lastly, there is no compulsion in religion. Therefore if one works to just enter or aspires to be rewarded with Jannat-ul-firdaus, is totally up to them. There is no hadith to stop them from such aspirations.

Edited by Nausheen - 12 February 2015 at 8:25pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 9:03pm

I'd rather run a word of caution amongst mulims against identifying themselves in the ranks of those who adhere to such demeanors. Therefore nomenclature is more important than ever before.

If that's the case, than my opinion is to be careful not to overgeneralize, and be as specific as possible, keeping in mind that your definition and frame of reference of a "wahabi" may not hold the same meaning and understanding for other readers. Frankly speaking, I think such discussions are more appropriately handled by qualified scholars and not laity. Rhetoric has consequences, and the scholars of our religion are protected when applying themselves yet making a mistake. And Allah Knows Best.   
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2015 at 7:09pm

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

She is choosing to identify herself with a backward and misogynistic culture, which is unfortunate.

What ever happened to multiculturalism, arguably a cornerstone to liberal democracy? However, when it comes to Muslims, we hear such arrogant ethnocentric opinions.    

Equality of all citizens is even more fundamental to democracy. If a culture makes women virtual chattel to men -- if it does not allow them to walk down the street without a man to accompany them, if they cannot even leave the house without a man's permission, if their testimony is worth only half that of a man, etc. -- then such a culture has no place in a modern democracy .

No, not all women who wear hijab represent such a culture, but all such cultures require their women to wear hijab. If a Muslim woman wants to distance herself from extremist interpretations of Islam, and express solidarity with women who are oppressed by them, then I can think of no better way to do so than to choose not to wear a hijab. I applaud Queen Rania for her principled stand for women's rights.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 9:00am
Ron, once a person from any faith lives here in the west, presumably they have equality under the law. Cultural norms and religious laws are not the same. If a woman chooses to adhere here religion she has that right and especially in a democratic society. Calling her backwards for doing so only reflects your personal bias. This weekend, in my city, there is an underwear-walk-a-thon for charity, where participants walk only in their undies; culturally progressive?
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 6:20pm

Ron, once a person from any faith lives here in the west, presumably they have equality under the law. Cultural norms and religious laws are not the same. If a woman chooses to adhere here religion she has that right and especially in a democratic society. Calling her backwards for doing so only reflects your personal bias.

I'm not calling her backward. (I did say that not all women who wear hijab represent such a culture.) I'm saying that if she wants to distance herself from such cultures, she should choose (because unlike them she has a choice) not to dress in ways that make her appear to be part of them.

My understanding is that Muhammad advised his male followers to have beards (which also is not a command found in the Quran) in order to distance themselves from pagan cultures which were clean-shaven at the time. This too is obsolete, IMHO. If Muhammad were alive today he might well recommend that male Muslims shave off their beards in order to distance themselves from the extremists who have hijacked Islam, just as he would advise women not to look like extremists. Most of the stuff in the hadiths were only applicable at the time, and were never intended to be preserved and dredged up as binding on Muslims a thousand years later.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

If a Muslim woman wants to distance herself from extremist interpretations of Islam, and express solidarity with women who are oppressed by them, then I can think of no better way to do so than to choose not to wear a hijab. I applaud Queen Rania for her principled stand for women's rights.

A samll note: A couple of weeks ago, when Queen Rania went to give her condolences to the female members of the family of the pilot who was burnt by ISIS, she was covering her head. Remarkably all women in that group were wearing a hijab. She not only not distanced herself from them, rather respected their 'culture'.
I respect her for this show of solidarity.
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 7:10pm

A samll note: A couple of weeks ago, when Queen Rania went to give her condolences to the female members of the family of the pilot who was burnt by ISIS, she was covering her head. Remarkably all women in that group were wearing a hijab. She not only not distanced herself from them, rather respected their 'culture'.
I respect her for this show of solidarity.

Of course, one must dress according to the circumstances.  Delivering condolences is not an appropriate time for ideological or political grandstanding.  Besides, when you are a guest in someone else's home, you abide by their rules.  My wife also covered her head when attending a wedding at a mosque.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic