IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Iran bans western music  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iran bans western music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2005 at 10:19pm

Originally posted by kenski70 kenski70 wrote:

I could go back to red ,but any good points id have in a given discussion are over looked because red print has condescending tone to it. That someone brought to my attention.

Condescending ?? HUh?? News to me

The chinese believe its a lucky colour

I must admit I don't like bright red writing its just as bad to read like your bright fluro green but the red up top is quite fine

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 2:08am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

To assume that "all" types of music is bad is quit hypocritical if one looks at Nasheed. Now as I understand when one commences in Nasheed the sound of it is "musical" and the whole purpose of this is to glorify God.

Assalamualaikum Israfil,

To understand the ahadith on music as a censor to "all" types of music is not correct.  Any detailed authentic narration on the "ruling of music in Islam" does not genralize in such a sense.

Singing without instruments is permissible, and certain instruments are also permissible.  Nasheed are definitely permissible, which are not denied thru any authentic fatwa. 

I have not read the fatwa posted in this thread, can you please brief on it in relation to Nasheed and other forms of music?

Jazak allah khair.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 8:16pm

Sister Nausheen I never implied any fatwa i merely was contradicting brother Rami's comment for he said:

>>>>In sunni Islam certain instraments are haram as well as certain themes in music, music it self is not haram.<<<<

But according to Rami's post he said that both Sunni and shia's differ on this in accordance to the Hadith. But in response to my post he posted a long post in saying how music was haraam which differend from his original post if one looks at it in the general view. If you see his last post it was posted in regards to all music and that that form was a type of generalization. He mentioned some Quranic verse which also denotes singing and other instruments as forms of Haraam.

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 9:20pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Again this is cultural interpretation!

Insha allah i can explain in general terms what a fatwah is as i feel it is necessary to do so since as people comment on the ruling and not the source methodology.

A fatwah basicly is a legal ruling, it is the end result of the reasearch of the scholar(s) after first gathering the evidence from the primary sources in islam (Quran, Sunnah) which are a basis for law then aplying numerous legal principles and sciences to finaly come to a conclusion on the matter. the fatwah that you read is only the conclusion of the matter not the research it self or the steps or process the scholars have taken to come to this conclusion, all of which is available and recorded but in arabic.

So when you say this is cultural interpretation your are asuming the person merely read the text and interprated it based on there culturl disposition. A simple Question whos culture do you think it is? The overwhelming majority of Islams great scholars where not Arab (imam Abu Hanifah was persian) so how can we propsoe that the interpretation is based on culture, espetialy when numerous sciences are aplied to the matter which leaves little to no room for  such bias. The idea and aim is to find out what Allah and his prophet command, rasul allah was a messenger for all mankind all nations all people for all time. When they command something all muslims are obliged to follow as allah says in the Quran the believers are those who say we hear and we obey, some matters have a diference of opinion in them (due to various evidence or methodoloies imployed) but as the fatwa mentions there is non on this matter in regards to the evidence from the Quran ans sunnah so there is no other posibilty that the prophet intended something else please read the ruling for further clarafication.

But according to Rami's post he said that both Sunni and shia's differ on this in accordance to the Hadith.

I did not say that i said i dont know what the shia position was, i had to make the distinction between shia and sunni a little more clear for kenski and state that this was a sunni forum.

But in response to my post he posted a long post in saying how music was haraam which differend from his original post if one looks at it in the general view.

I Quoted a section of the fatwah in refrence to your sweeping statment that the Quran does not talk about music. The fatwah does not say music is haram.

The evidence from the Quran is qualifiesd and not taken in general terms to mean all music is haram, scholars consider all the evidence not part of it.

Explain to me since you believe I'm grossly misleading how a simple instrument like the Saxaphone is misleading to believers?

The following is qualified further in the fatwah and basicly it is as sister nausheen said, rasul allah has prohibited the type of instrament a saxaphone is. The prohabition is based on the evidence ie Allah has made it haram, muslims in clear cases such as this argue a case in terms of evidence from allah and his prophet then look for the wisdom of the matter as they have priority over our own opinion we do not accept or reject a matter irespective of what allah and his prophet has said and take our opinion above theres. The reason and wisdom it self is mentioned in the ahadith and Quran.

the evidence from the fatwah;

The are many Ahadith of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) which prohibit music and the usage of musical instruments to the extent that some scholars have gathered approximately forty Ahadith, of which the chain of transmission of some is sound (sahih), some good (hasan) and some weak (da�if). We will only mention a few here:

1) Sayyiduna Abu Malik al-Ash�ari (Allah be pleased with him) reports that he heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: �There will appear people in my Ummah, who will hold adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments to be lawful� (Sahih al-Bukhari)

2) Abu Malik al-Ash�ari (Allah be pleased with him) narrates a similar type of Hadith, but a different wording. He reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Soon there will be people from my Ummah who will consume alcohol, they will change its name (by regarding it permissible. m), on there heads will be instruments of music and singing. Allah will make the ground swallow them up, and turn them into monkeys and swine� (Sahih Ibn Hibban & Sunan Ibn Majah, with a sound chain of narration).

In the above two narrations, the word ma`azif is used. The scholars of the Arabic language are unanimous on the fact that it refers to musical instruments (Ibn Manzur, Lisan al-Arab, V.9, P.189).

The prohibition of musical instruments is clear in the two narrations. The first Hadith (recorded in Sahih al-Bukhari) mentions that certain people from the Ummah of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) will try to justify the permissibility of using musical instruments, along with adultery, silk and alcohol, despite these things being unlawful (haram) in Shariah.

Moreover, by mentioning music with the likes of adultery and alcohol just shows how severe the sin is. The one who attempts to permit music is similar to the one who permits alcohol or adultery.

The second Hadith describes the fate of such people in that the ground will be ordered to swallow them and they will be turned into monkeys and swine (may Allah save us all). The warning is specific to those that will hold music, alcohol, silk and adultery to be permissible. It is something that should be of concern for those who try and justify any of these things.

Also, to say that music will only be unlawful if it is in combination with alcohol, adultery and silk is incorrect. If this was the case, then why is it that the exception is only for music from the four things? The same could also be said for adultery, alcohol and silk. One may then even justify that alcohol and adultery is also permissible unless if they are consumed in combination with the other things!

Thus the above two narrations of the beloved of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) are clear proof on the impermissibility of music and songs.

3) Imran ibn Husain (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �This Ummah will experience the swallowing up of some people by the earth, metamorphosis of some into animals, and being rained upon with stones�. A man from amongst the Muslims asked: �O Messenger of Allah! When will this be?� He said: �When female singers and musical instruments appear and alcohol will (commonly) be consumed� (Recorded by Imam Tirmizi, Imam Ibn Majah in their respective Sunan collections, and the wording here is of Sunan Tirmizi).

4) Sayyiduna Ali ibn Talib (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �When my Ummah begin doing fifteen things, they will be inflicted with tribulations, and (from those 15 things He said): �When female singers and musical instruments become common� (Sunan Tirmizi).

5) Na�fi reports that once Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with them both) heard the sound of a Sheppard�s flute. He put his fingers in his ears, turned his mule away from the road and said: �O Nafi�! Can you hear? I (Nafi�) replied with the affirmative. He carried on walking (with his fingers in his ears) until I said: �the sound has ceased� He removed his fingers from his ears, came back on to the road and said: �I saw the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) doing the same when he heard the flute of the Sheppard� (Recorded by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad and Abu Dawud & Ibn Majah in their Sunans).

6) Abd Allah Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Verily Allah has forbidden alcohol, gambling, drum and guitar, and every intoxicant is haram� (Musnad Ahmad & Sunan Abu Dawud).

7) Abu Umama (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) said: �Allah Mighty and Majestic sent me as a guidance and mercy to believers and commanded me to do away with musical instruments, flutes, strings, crucifixes, and the affairs of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance� (Musnad Ahmad & Abu Dawud Tayalisi).

8) Abd Allah ibn Mas�ud (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage� (Sunan al-Bayhaqi).

9) Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) said: �On the day of Resurrection, Allah will pour molten lead into the ears of whoever sits listening to a songstress� (Recorded by Ibn Asakir & Ibn al-Misri).

10)Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Bell is the flute of Shaytan� (Sahih Muslim & Sunan Abu Dawud).

There are many more narrations of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) in prohibition of musical instruments and unlawful singing. I have merely mentioned a few as an example.

i would recommend reading this, it is an account of the development and basis for the legal system in islam which is based on methodological process not Quick ractionary opinion.

USUL AL FIQH AL ISLAMI

Something of interest from the post:

The science of Usul al Fiqh is rightly considered to be the most important method of research ever devised by Muslim Thought. Indeed, as the solid foundation upon which all the Islamic disciplines are based, Usul al Fiqh not only benefited Islamic civilization but contributed to the intellectual enrichment of world civilization as a whole. It will not be out of place to note here that the methods of analogical developed within the framework of Islamic jurisprudence constituted the methodological starting-point for the establishment and construction of empiricism, which in turn is considered to be the basis of contemporary civilization.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2005 at 6:00pm

Iwas talking to my Iranian friend here in Melbourne just yesterday and I told him about the music ban. (He hadn't known about it, I only found out on orkut.com). He shook his head sadly and commented "We are going backwards". He then went on to compare present-day Iran to Europe about 700 years ago.

Kim... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic