IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not DEEP enough  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not DEEP enough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alBikaadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not DEEP enough
    Posted: 05 November 2014 at 2:29pm
I am a revert to Islam and am very 'historically minded'. I used to read a lot of really deep books on Biblical literature like what one finds here: https://www.logos.com/get-6/Standard?selectedBasePackageProductId=43523.

When I go to Islamic bookstores, I am hard-pressed to find such deep literature on the pre-Islamic history of Abrahamic religion, of the Qur'anic revelation's relationship to other revelation and thought to the same depth as that I read in Christian scholarship on their roots and self understanding.

Is there anything like a comprehensive library of our best Islamic scholarship to match the link I sent above? And, if not, can we start creating something PLEASE! My soul is dying for deeper nourishment here!!!!!
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 6:48pm
Salam/Peace,

This is not book, it's video, but I think he explain it very detail. Perhaps will be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAEA99D24CA2F9A8F

Edited by semar - 05 November 2014 at 6:49pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2014 at 10:17am
If you wish to get a deeper perception of human history in general then I recommend Guns Germs and Steel. It is a history of civilization and  attempts to answer the question of why it is that the West has triumphed.

One of the most interesting bits in it was the information that the Chinese Island of Hinan had an industrial revolution and was producing 100,000 tonnes of iron a year in 1000AD. But the Emperor didn't like it so stopped it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic