IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Curse of sectarianism among Muslims  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curse of sectarianism among Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curse of sectarianism among Muslims
    Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:07pm

Though everyone talks about the curse of having different sects among Muslims, yet know one seems to understand as what is required to get rid of it.

Allah says in Quran [3.103] And hold fast , all of you together , to the cable of Allah , and do not separate . And remember Allah ' s favor unto you : how ye were enemies and He made friendship between your hearts so that ye became as brothers by His grace ; and ( how ) ye were upon the brink of an abyss of fire , and He did save you from it . Thus Allah maketh clear His revelations unto you , that haply ye may be guided ,

I just wanted everyone's views as how he/she thinks that we, as Muslims, can reduce or elliminate it from among ourselves. Hope to hear good suggestions.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:12pm

To begin with this topic, following article I found on a web site. Hopefully, this shall open up the door for more fruitful discussion on the subject. Here is the reference to this article http://www.quranicteachings.co.uk/differences.htm

How to settle differences among the Ummah?

Mankind was once one single nation but then differences arose.

����� ����� �������� ���� ������� ��������� �������������

All mankind were once but one single community, and only later did they begin to differ...

Al-Qur'an, 010.019 (Yunus [Jonah])

����� �������� ������� ���������

All mankind were once single community...

Al-Qur'an, 002.213 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])

Allah sent His Messengers (a.s.) to give them glad tidings provided they lived together as one family and to warn them about the consequences of a disintegrated society and resolve their differences in accordance with the revealed book.

�������� ������� ������������� ������������ ������������� ���������� �������� ���������� ���������� ���������� ������ �������� ������ ����������� �����

Allah sent Messengers with glad tidings and warnings; and with them He sent the Book in truth, to judge between people in matters wherein they differed...

After departure of the Messengers (a.s.) who had accomplished their appointed tasks, their followers again created differences amongst themselves because of their selfish rivalry, in their desire to outdo and out-strive each other.

����� ��������� ����� ���� ��������� �������� ���� ������ ��� ����������� ������������� ������� ����������

None but the very people who were given it (i.e. the Scripture) differed about it after clear arguments had come to them  because of their selfish rivalry (in their desire to outdo and out-strive each other)...

Those who call themselves Muslims have done the same. The Messenger of Allah, Muhammad (a.s.) founded them into one nation, who would then make the whole world into one single community again. But instead of making the whole world one, they themselves became divided into numerous political and religious factions. This division was because of nothing but the selfish rivalry among their so-called religious and political leaders which seeped down to commoners as well. In doing so Muslims have violated Allah's Clear Command, which is:

���� ��������� ����������� ����������� ������������� ���� ������ ��� ��������� ������������� ����������� ������ ������� �������

And be not like those who became divided and differed after clear arguments had come to them, and these it is they who shall have a grievous penalty.

Al-Qur'an, 003.105 (Aal-E-Imran [The Family of Imran])

The terrible retribution Muslims are having by the hands of those whom they call non-Muslims, is indeed the grievous penalty of which Allah warned them if they would become divided and differ. This is their punishment in this world and surely they will get punishment in the hereafter as well.

The only way to get rid of this punishment is to become united once again by settling their differences, and the only way to settle the differences is to decide matters according to His Revealed Book.

����� ������������� ����� ���� ������ ���������� ����� �������

Whatever it be wherein you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah

Al-Qur'an, 042.010 (Ash-Shura [Council, Consultation])

Allah is �������� ������������� Ahkam-Al-Hakimeen, the most Just of all the judges [11:45]. His judgment and decision�������  is in His revealed Book.

������������� ������� ����������

...We revealed it to be a judgment of authority in Arabic...

Al-Qur'an, 013.037 (Ar-Rad [The Thunder])

So, in order to resolve their differences, Muslims should decide all their matters according to Allah's Book, about which Allah has claimed that there is no inconsistencies or discrepancies ���������� in it.

������ �������������� ���������� ������ ����� ���� ������ ������ ������� ���������� ����� ���������� ��������

Do they not reflect upon the Quran? Were it from anyone other than Allah they would have found many inconsistencies or discrepancies therein.

Al-Qur'an, 004.082 (An-Nisa [Women]) 

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 6:01pm

Bismillah,

Separate is not the same thing as having different sects.  Allah, SWT, made us all different colors "so that we may know one another".  Why can't we believe slightly differently but still be one Ummah because we love the prophets?

It's okay with me if a Shi'a believes he needs to put a rock on his prayer mat or a Sufi needs to meditate a lot.  We need to accept each other's differences in order not to separate.  We need to not call each other non-Muslims unless there is no other way around it.  The only people I call non-Muslims are those whom Allah, SWT, does -- those who are in the act of major sins.  Sadly, I see the biggest major sin people are committing, besides shirk, is murdering other Muslims and innocents of other faiths.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 9:12pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Diferences in Fiqh do not constitue sectarian splits. They are groups who reject parts of the Quran or sunnah or who reject certain sahabah or the prophets wives or have Aqeedah beliefs which are not acceptable.

An example is saying who ever commits a sin has left Islam. That verse is not an excuse for the sects in Islam, it refers to different nations not groups which have unaccptable beliefs.

It is easy to generalise but when you take a look at the beliefs of these groups no reconciliation can take place if it means declaring what they hold as true to be accptable by Islam.

This is a Good work on the subject by Shaykh al Islam Abdul Qadir al Gilani THE SECTS THAT HAVE GONE ASTRAY

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 8:23am
salam,

honestly, i think reading Al-fatihah in prayers should be a good cure.
as even if we think another is wrong, we pray all muslims the straight way multiple times a day. so if he is indeed wrong, may Allah Guide him. if we are wrong, may Allah Guide us. we're not always perfect anyway.

i wanna share my story, it's kinda silly. but Allah Showed me i could be wrong, even when i thought i was so right. when i was 10, i watched Snow White many, many times, i even scripted it. then my friend said her skirt is yellow. i thought it was blue. i really do think it's true, i mean how can i be wrong i watch Snow White all the time!!! then i checked it out at home, yup it was yellow. what a day of humility.

so that day, alhamdulillah Allah Showed me other ppl can be right too.

anyway, we all can check it out wether we're right or not. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) promised that if we follow Quran & Sunnah, we will be safe. i do believe that. & a dose of humbleness is wonderful.

Edited by firewall
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:42am

After waiting for some more responses, I think, its better to move forward with whatever has been posted uptill now. In that, I agree with what sis herjihad says that "Allah, SWT, made us all different colors "so that we may know one another"." Though this may mean different beliefs about the same doctrinal basics, but through different angles.

Coming to the expected response from bro rami, here are some of my comments and questions on his remarks.

Quote Diferences in Fiqh do not constitue sectarian splits.

But what if some one don't acknowldge others as authentic Fiqh, e.g. Jafaria fiqh in Shia Madhab.

Quote They are groups who reject parts of the Quran or sunnah or who reject certain sahabah or the prophets wives or have Aqeedah beliefs which are not acceptable.
Not acceptable to what level? And from which yard stick? Is this yard stick common to all including those who are being judged with?
Quote An example is saying who ever commits a sin has left Islam. That verse is not an excuse for the sects in Islam, it refers to different nations not groups which have unaccptable beliefs. It is easy to generalise but when you take a look at the beliefs of these groups no reconciliation can take place if it means declaring what they hold as true to be accptable by Islam.
Reconcilliation doesn't necessarily means accepting others as true but to have patience among them despite having difference of opinion. Moreso, if Allah is so generous even towards non-believers of Prophethood of Mohammad, e.g. the people of the book, how difficult is it for us to recognise those who do, at least, believe in the this Prophethood? I don't understand this logic at all.

This is a Good work on the subject by Shaykh al Islam Abdul Qadir al Gilani THE SECTS THAT HAVE GONE ASTRAY

Bro, I have come across several of such treatizes in my life and they are all based upon differentiating the ummah. None of them tells us as how to do integration on ummah. It is for this very reason that I have raised such a question, though I am myself not qualified to say anything on it. I don't find it logical to start differentiating people by labling them and then identifying them such and such without even bother to look at their arguments, how logically authentic they may be; simply based upon my preconcieved notion from labling on them.

In the end I would appreciate sis firewall about her candid opinon when she says "anyway, we all can check it out wether we're right or not. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) promised that if we follow Quran & Sunnah, we will be safe. i do believe that. & a dose of humbleness is wonderful." but the point is though it is highly important for us to recognise the right path for each one of us, but equally important to realise is that difference of opinon with others is not necessarily an opposite of "right path". Hope to hear soon more on this.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic