IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To Hijab or not to Hijab??? Help!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Hijab or not to Hijab??? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lapinkgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Hijab or not to Hijab??? Help!
    Posted: 17 November 2005 at 2:35pm

As-Salaam Alaikum,

I am a Christian woman who has been studying Islam and have intentions of converting to Islam. Recently, I went to a Islam learning class at my local Masjid for the very first time.

My question is... do I need to cover my head when I am in the Masjid if I have not yet converted to Islam? Some of the sister there said that I didn't need to, but others thought that I should out of respect for God and the Masjid. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 5:00pm

Bismillah,

Dear Pink, I don't wear a scarf anymore unless I go to the mosque.  I always wear it to the mosque, and take it off at home.  I wore it for many years along with a jilbab for a long time also.  I have seen Muslim women do different things, and have dealt with this myself.  When I first went to the mosque years ago with just long sleeves and loose pants, the sisters were offended and it was a bad experience for me. 

Very few people don't wear a scarf and long sleeves even just as interested visitors.  During funerals when non-Muslim women attended, no one minded that they didn't wear scarves.  It was their dad who had died, but they weren't Muslims. 

I reccomend to wear a scarf and long sleeves to the mosque for many reasons.  Then here is something additional.  Don't take it off in the parking lot.  Wait till you're down the street a bit.  There are sisters who would pull off their jilbabs and even skirts from over their jeans in the parking lot while waiting for their moms, and people really got busy talking about that with anger and resentment.  So in order not to cause this feeling, it would be good to wait.

I love Islaam because it opened my heart to belief in God after Christianity shattered it.  When I thought about the blood sacrifice of Jesus, I got upset and didn't know what to think.  Things didn't make sense to me.  The beauty of Christianity blends into Islaam.  In Islaam, Allah, The Most Loving, does not require any sacrifice except of our sinful ways to lead us to happy lives and rewards in heaven.

May Allah, The Glorious and Peace Giver, open your heart to His Way, and give you peace and properity in your life.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 1:59am

lapinkgul,

Greetings.   Muslim women are commanded by Allah in the Quran to wear hijab.  However, since you're still Christian, Quranic law doesn't exactly apply to you.    BUT, out of respect for the mosque (the house of Allah), please cover before entering.   From reading your post, I get the feeling your heart has already told you this.  I'm just backing it up .  Also, please consider sister herjihad's advice about not stripping down in the parking lot.   Even if you're not a muslim an not inside of the mosque , it will bring you a lot of unwanted attention.    

Allah has trully blessed you with a sincere interest in Islam.   May Allah continue to guide you to the path of his favor and mercy (ameen).  I look foward to welcoming you not only into Islam but to the family (as all muslims are brethern ).

Salaam

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 8:59am
hi lapinkgurl,

i think hijab is not such an alien idea even for Christians, Mother Theresa wears headscarves, right? i see nuns wear it too. so it's really not a grandious out-of-this-world thing. & don't worry, hijabs can be gorgeous too... personally i like to see the black hijabs for Arab women, even with the black hijab, they're still naturally beautifully. muslim asians wear more colours, with flowery prints sometimes.

wearing the hijab, ppl hv to concentrate on ur personality.
so ur real self shines, rather than ur body parts.

still i must admit, some do find themselves shy with women in hijab.
they become more "subdued" with hijabi girls, maybe because they're shy to go hu-ha-hu-ha with a covered girl. in my last work, i felt a bit left out bcoz they become subdued when conversing with me, while they can joke & laugh with the non-hijabi girls. they can be flirty & all, it makes me want to drop my hijab as well so i could be more acceptable. but thank God i always see the Arab women in black hijabs visiting, so to set my priorities straight.

from my heart, i wish u love wearing the hijab. 

Edited by firewall
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 2:00pm
Lapunkgirl, do what is right for you and will keep you feeling safe. Alot of people here will tell you, you have to wear it. I think it is very good to wear it, but alot of Muslim women don't for different reasons. You could try it, I did and did not like it at all just because of all the stares and attention, questions ect I got. My husband was also unhappy with the amount of attention it drew to me. He felt better with me just dressing modestly and keeping a low profile. You should try it for yourself, but wear it at the mosque and maybe at some peoples houses out of respect. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 5:56pm
Good tip, jenni
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic