IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - pregnancy/ childbirth  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pregnancy/ childbirth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pregnancy/ childbirth
    Posted: 14 October 2005 at 5:43am

hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could give  me some information.  I am a non-muslim married to a muslim man, we are expecting a baby and I would like some information regarding any islamic rituals or practises around pregnancy, childbirth and welcoming and care of a new born.  I would also be interested to discover the origins of any such rituals, if they can be referenced back to the Qur'an or Hadith?

Thank you

Miya.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:20am

Bismillah,

The only one I can think of is that when a baby is born, the dad should whisper Quraan in its ear, I think the Fatiha.  Sorry, I don't have any references.

Oh, wait a minute.  Of course circumcision for boys by the 7th day.  And again, I have no references.

And then there's the akikah that many people have.  A lot of people don't name the baby until then, and it's after the 7th day.  It's a party you throw for the community and you have slaughtered a lamb or some other animal for the feast. 

ISA, someone can quote to you whether this is from Quraan, Sunnah, or just culture.

(Give him/her a big kiss from me!)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 7:34am

Congratulations!  Hey if it's a girl you can name her Abeer, it's a beautiful name

karimah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karimah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:23pm

Asalm Alaikum

First things first dont call your baby Abeer if its a girl call it karimahonly joken

The frist thing that should be done is for the father to take the baby and say Adhan in the babys right ear and them to say in the left ear al comato salah 

In day number 7 you should cut your babys hair and waight it as if it were silver and then you give the money  to the poor then there is the Akikah if the baby is a girl you slaughter 1 sheep and if its a boy its 2 sheep when they slaughtre the sheep in the islamic way they should say the name of the baby.

if you want you can cook the food yourself and invite everyone to eat with you rich and poor people. but you dont have to  cook it its up to, you, you can just put it in bags and give it to the rich and poor and they will ask Allah to give your baby good health and togrow up good

As for the circumcision you should do this on the day7, day14 or day21

Good luck

miya View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:51am
Thanks very much everyone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic